Mira Leung | Golden Skate

Mira Leung

passion

On the Ice
How was her skating -jumpwise, skillwise, artistic-wise, other? Has she improved? I haven't seen her yet.

Vash01

Medalist
I saw her skate for the first time during the SA telecast on ABC and I was quite disappointed. She has a strange jump technique and it is not pleasant to watch. She is a young skater that may be able to make corrections and become good.

orchid

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
I saw her skate for the first time during the SA telecast on ABC and I was quite disappointed. She has a strange jump technique and it is not pleasant to watch. She is a young skater that may be able to make corrections and become good.

Very strange technique. First time I saw it, I thought she was about to keel over forward.

She's probably been doing it for so long, I doubt she can correct.

bonmil

Rinkside
I thought her skating has improved over the summer. I think people in general are way too hard on Mira. She will get better and better, she seems like a smart girl and has a lot of determination and confidence. She knows what she needs to do and will do it. It may take her a bit longer than some, but I have not doubt she will accomplish what she sets out to do.

orchid

On the Ice
bonmil said:
I thought her skating has improved over the summer. I think people in general are way too hard on Mira. She will get better and better, she seems like a smart girl and has a lot of determination and confidence. She knows what she needs to do and will do it. It may take her a bit longer than some, but I have not doubt she will accomplish what she sets out to do.

The jump prep is distracting and that helps to downgrade her scores. Aside from the jumps she is pleasant to watch. It does seem she has more than her share on non-fans and that is unfortunate.

I meant the jump prep will be difficult to change at this point. Sure, every skater improves and I'm sure Mira will move up too.

jesslily

Final Flight
I was surprised to know she was the 3rd at Canadian Nationals last year. She has obvious wrong jumping technique, both taking off and landing are very strange. Who is her coach? How could Mira moved up so quick without learning the basics?

orchid

On the Ice
jesslily said:
I was surprised to know she was the 3rd at Canadian Nationals last year. She has obvious wrong jumping technique, both taking off and landing are very strange. Who is her coach? How could Mira moved up so quick without learning the basics?

her coaches are Joanne McLeod and Jill Marie Harvey, whomever they are. Mira has been skating since the age of 3, but that doesn't mean basics were properly instilled.

Don't the Canadian ladies have a real tough time at their National's? Lots of bum on the ice? So, perhaps whomever stayed upright more of the time wins?

passion

On the Ice
"Her coaches are Joanne McLeod and Jill Marie Harvey, whomever they are. Mira has been skating since the age of 3, but that doesn't mean basics were properly instilled".

McLeod and Harvey is what's on paper. Her mom is her true coach. She has been coaching Mira every minute since she has been on the ice at the age of 3. However, I think her mom did an amazing job considering she is not a pro and to train her daughter to get to this level, I think her mom deserves a lot of credit! I hope to see Mira move up in the ranks. She works crazy hard!

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
If she has been skating since 3 and her mother has been watching or coaching her skating for these years, Mrs. Leung should know the right skating technique look like. But how could Mira move up to qualify for the nationals? For these years the Canadian judges did not tell them what parts Mira should work on?

passion

On the Ice
I think Skate Canada has a lot of hopes in Mira because other than Joannie, there aren't any other skaters who are international hopefuls. Even Lesley Hawker who is nipping at her heals right now at Canadians, I don't think is quite up to par to Mira.

Matt

On the Ice
IIRC, Leung skipped the novice ranks and went straight to seniors at the age of 15. IMO, she has all the trappings to make it in elite-level competition, but b/c she skipped several levels, she doesn't have as good a foundation as the other skaters, even the up-and-coming ones in the Canadian Junior ranks. It's like someone who's really good at a foreign language and skips a year in between. They may be able to pick up the language quickly, but may just need to do some extra work in order to get the vocabulary and the sentence structure

chania36

On the Ice
I did go to canadians like week and I saw her live, although she did improve on the cheated jumps, she has that bad technique, it is like she is descending her head or lifting her shoulders, but she has not neck and I would have her train with a collar just to make her aware of how she compresses everything down and up when she jumps, it is very ugly to see that, I hope she can get that in order because it is very sad because otherwise she could become very good. I just do not understand that a coach would not correct this, it is so obvious..

passion

On the Ice
My coach told me that she is the worst Canadian skater to ever go to the Olympics, and that she cannot jump because she is all over the place, and my coach said that she simply cannot skate. :scratch: Really? How come I don't see that?!! Maybe I'm not trained enough in the sport to notice. I quite like her skating.

orchid

On the Ice
passion said:
My coach told me that she is the worst Canadian skater to ever go to the Olympics, and that she cannot jump because she is all over the place, and my coach said that she simply cannot skate. :scratch: Really? How come I don't see that?!! Maybe I'm not trained enough in the sport to notice. I quite like her skating.

I find your appreciation of Mira's skating lovely. But, your statement pharaphrasing your coach's comments of Mira is disturbing.

No professional, coach or otherwise, should make such comments. How can belittling one skater inprove another?

Is your coach sanctioned by the ISU?

sk8rmommy

Rinkside
Every coach, (yes they are all sanctioned) who has ever shared their opinion with me about Mira has said the same thing and it's all been negative.

I do give the girl credit for her incredible consistency, but I don't see how she can improve her look which is just not pleasing. She is not someone a coach would hold up as an example to younger students when it comes to technique or artistry. However, having said that she is a fine example of determination, hard work and confidence, something lacking in the rinks today.

After watching Ice Diaries I realized that most Canadian skaters don't do nearly enough training to keep up with the elite skaters around the world. We simply don't have the programs, school systems, funding or perhaps even enough high level coaches who are committed to turning out talented skaters.

Skate Canada also doesn't do a great job of educating parents on what it takes to be a great skater. Often by the time a parent figures it out, the skater is too old to break habits.

passion

On the Ice
I have no idea about coaches being ISU sanctioned, but my coach has fifty years experience with coaching. To my dismay, my coach is not the first coach that I have heard negative comments made about Mira! I don't understand why many skaters (and coaches) don't like her. Maybe I need to be knocked over the head because I just don't see it. To me, she is a marvel and IMO, the future Canadian champion if she continues to progress the way she is.

BTW, I think this was a ground breaking year for her and a turning point in her skating career. Now that she has found her style, she can build on it. I doubt she will medal this year at Olympics, but who knows about 2010 Olympics. Four years is plenty of time for a skater to mature. By then, she will be a young lady and no longer a teenager.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
sk8rmommy said:
Every coach, (yes they are all sanctioned) who has ever shared their opinion with me about Mira has said the same thing and it's all been negative.

I do give the girl credit for her incredible consistency, but I don't see how she can improve her look which is just not pleasing. She is not someone a coach would hold up as an example to younger students when it comes to technique or artistry. However, having said that she is a fine example of determination, hard work and confidence, something lacking in the rinks today.

After watching Ice Diaries I realized that most Canadian skaters don't do nearly enough training to keep up with the elite skaters around the world. We simply don't have the programs, school systems, funding or perhaps even enough high level coaches who are committed to turning out talented skaters.

Skate Canada also doesn't do a great job of educating parents on what it takes to be a great skater. Often by the time a parent figures it out, the skater is too old to break habits.

I am agreeing with you on all points. Her technique looks just terrible, however she is quite flexible and does some nice spins. I also don't like her look. I don't know, I usually don't judge someone on their apperance but in figure skating you must make yourself look pretty because I think that is part of the whole package. But she is only 16 and yes, very determined. This is not going to be her year but lets not count her out for the future. I hope that she can change her jumping technique too. But maybe it is too late for that.

I also agree with not educating parents. I am a skater mom and you learn by the seat of your pants. There also isn't enough coaches and ice available for most skaters to improve. You need lots of ice time to practice and get better.

jayta

Rinkside
She probably has learned some bad habits, but I haven't heard a LOT about her technique being as horrible as you posters are saying.

As for Skate Canada's program for elite skaters: Yes, it is not as well funded as programs in countries such as USA or in Europe. But I think we have done well for ourselves. I think that we haven't put so much effort into developing these things because in reality, they aren't as important as say jobs and trying to overcome the drought and other economic pitfalls we've had.

I don't fault the government for putting other things as first priority. We all know the financial burden that comes from being a world class skater and most skaters come from families with middle-class incomes. Just not feasible. I think we probably do have prospects but most kids drop out just because they don't think they have what it takes.

Anyways....

As for Mira, I think her appearance is fine. Not to say she can't come back with a more mature look. No, not everyone wants to groom their child - pageant style - so they look like they are 20 yr olds. I think the whole money issue also is a reason. I mean, it costs money to have a seamstress create costumes for a skater. Her appearance is the way God made her. So I won't fault her on that. I do believe that she will grow into looks though. Not everyone can be stick thin and with big blue eyes and batting long eyelashes.

I give props to Mira for being as strong willed as she has been. I believe she has the determination to become one of the top women skaters in the world. She just needs a little more guidance and I believe she's willing to do everything to guarantee that.