Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cup of China - What Happend?

Cup of China - What Happend?

What happend to Amber Corwin at COC? 28.28 points, with the nearest competitor being at 41.42 and the winner of the SP at 70.22? Yikes!
    http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_d...diesshort.html

Do not post spoilers in the main forum, PLEASE. Some people don't want to know about a competition until it's been on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3
    What happend to Amber Corwin at COC? 28.28 points, with the nearest competitor being at 41.42 and the winner of the SP at 70.22? Yikes!
    http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_d...diesshort.html
    She fell 3 times, on every jump. My heart went out to her. That's a -12 points right off the top of TES per the rules (-3 for 3 falls, and -9 in GOE for the 3 jump passes). IMO I've always seen her as a classy "veteran" of the sport in the US, and this was really sad.

DG

She had a rough showing at Regionals as well, barely getting 3rd place. And that's not even Sectionals!

Custom Title
    I've always liked Amber Corwin. She's definitely a veteran of the sport. I always felt her and Jennifer Robinson were alot alike. Same type of styles, making an impact on the sport by simply being their classy selves and not worrying about medals. To me, this shows a real passion for the sport and it shows in their skating.

It is still sad to see that mark though...

My respect for her really went up after seeing her program. To have EVERY jump go so badly, she really kept her chin up for everything else. Very gracious in spite of a disaterous skate.

DG

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3
    What happend to Amber Corwin at COC?
    She forgot to train to be a Biellman expert and change her name to Irina Slutskaya. Then all she would have needed to do was show up and wait for those high scores.

On top of falling and receiving the -12 both of her triple jumps were downgraded to doubles :(

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by JanJam
    She forgot to train to be a Biellman expert and change her name to Irina Slutskaya. Then all she would have needed to do was show up and wait for those high scores.
    Sentences like that make me angry. Slutskaia has nothing to do with Corwin's skate (neither has any other skater). Corwin had a bad skate. That's it. No need to bash other skaters (no matter whom). Btw - I am no Slutskaia fan, but your attitude is something I do not like against ANY skater.

And btw - Slutskaia did not just show up. She skated, spinned, jumped and did not fall. Nobody on any board on the internet discussed that she should not win. There are debates going on about the required elements, certain marks for several skaters and especiall the PCS. But to join those discussions you might have to inform yourself a bit more. About the rules and the actual competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JanJam
    That's a snide remark- totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    She had a rough showing at Regionals as well, barely getting 3rd place. And that's not even Sectionals!
    Will she qualify for the Nationals. I have a strange feeling that it will not be a truly US Nats without her.

Joe

JanJam - I sent you a little PM on your remarks about Irina. Be careful in future. Thanks

Joe

Custom Title

kinda funny

Personnally, I thought the "forgot to train to be a Bielman expert" remark was pretty funny. Naturally, Amber WOULD have to stand up on her jumps, but boy is that Bielman position getting over used suddenly.

Could someone explain to me the sudden fascination with the Bielman spiral? It works well for Irina who is simply not built for doing a free leg spiral (although I'd like the Bielman spiral better in Irina's programs if there weren't also a Bielman spin plus another Bielman spin with both legs in the same program).

Why are other skaters who don't necessarily need an assisted leg spiral also suddenly doing Bielman spirals? Which gets more points, a Bielman spiral or a free let spiral?

Linny

Custom Title
    A "difficult variation" counts as a feature toward a higher level on the spiral sequence. The rules give some specific examples of difficult variations,

variations that affect the main body core position and balance, e.g. twisting the upper body, bending or pulling the upper body towards the skating leg, obtaining the Bielmann position.
    and list separately some skills that I would consider as falling within that category:

Unsupported position with the leg sideways or forward

Free leg in a total split position -sideways or forward, one arm hold possible
    Also,
    Unsupported change of edge in a spiral -3 seconds hold after the change

Unsupported change of position or direction maintaining the spiral position
    I wouldn't call those difficult variations of positions, but we certainly are seeing more change-edge spirals lately.

We're seeing a lot more of all of these the last couple of seasons. Why is the Biellmann the only one people keep complaining about being overused?

Custom Title
    gkelly: "Why is the Biellmann the only one people keep complaining about being overused?"

Because most of the time it is being done poorly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast