Cup of China - What Happend? | Golden Skate

Cup of China - What Happend?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Do not post spoilers in the main forum, PLEASE. Some people don't want to know about a competition until it's been on TV!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
dwiggin3 said:
What happend to Amber Corwin at COC? 28.28 points, with the nearest competitor being at 41.42 and the winner of the SP at 70.22? Yikes!
http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200506/cupofchina/ladiesshort.html

She fell 3 times, on every jump. My heart went out to her. That's a -12 points right off the top of TES per the rules (-3 for 3 falls, and -9 in GOE for the 3 jump passes). IMO I've always seen her as a classy "veteran" of the sport in the US, and this was really sad.

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
She had a rough showing at Regionals as well, barely getting 3rd place. And that's not even Sectionals!

Saundy

On the Ice
I've always liked Amber Corwin. She's definitely a veteran of the sport. I always felt her and Jennifer Robinson were alot alike. Same type of styles, making an impact on the sport by simply being their classy selves and not worrying about medals. To me, this shows a real passion for the sport and it shows in their skating.

It is still sad to see that mark though...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
My respect for her really went up after seeing her program. To have EVERY jump go so badly, she really kept her chin up for everything else. Very gracious in spite of a disaterous skate.

DG

JanJam

Rinkside
dwiggin3 said:
What happend to Amber Corwin at COC?

She forgot to train to be a Biellman expert and change her name to Irina Slutskaya. Then all she would have needed to do was show up and wait for those high scores.

CDMM1991

Medalist
On top of falling and receiving the -12 both of her triple jumps were downgraded to doubles :(

tdnuva

On the Ice
JanJam said:
She forgot to train to be a Biellman expert and change her name to Irina Slutskaya. Then all she would have needed to do was show up and wait for those high scores.
Sentences like that make me angry. Slutskaia has nothing to do with Corwin's skate (neither has any other skater). Corwin had a bad skate. That's it. No need to bash other skaters (no matter whom). Btw - I am no Slutskaia fan, but your attitude is something I do not like against ANY skater.

And btw - Slutskaia did not just show up. She skated, spinned, jumped and did not fall. Nobody on any board on the internet discussed that she should not win. There are debates going on about the required elements, certain marks for several skaters and especiall the PCS. But to join those discussions you might have to inform yourself a bit more. About the rules and the actual competition.

Vash01

Medalist
JanJam said:

That's a snide remark- totally unnecessary.

RealtorGal said:
She had a rough showing at Regionals as well, barely getting 3rd place. And that's not even Sectionals!
Will she qualify for the Nationals. I have a strange feeling that it will not be a truly US Nats without her.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
kinda funny

Personnally, I thought the "forgot to train to be a Bielman expert" remark was pretty funny. Naturally, Amber WOULD have to stand up on her jumps, but boy is that Bielman position getting over used suddenly.

Could someone explain to me the sudden fascination with the Bielman spiral? It works well for Irina who is simply not built for doing a free leg spiral (although I'd like the Bielman spiral better in Irina's programs if there weren't also a Bielman spin plus another Bielman spin with both legs in the same program).

Why are other skaters who don't necessarily need an assisted leg spiral also suddenly doing Bielman spirals? Which gets more points, a Bielman spiral or a free let spiral?

Linny

gkelly

Record Breaker
A "difficult variation" counts as a feature toward a higher level on the spiral sequence. The rules give some specific examples of difficult variations,

variations that affect the main body core position and balance, e.g. twisting the upper body, bending or pulling the upper body towards the skating leg, obtaining the Bielmann position.

and list separately some skills that I would consider as falling within that category:

Unsupported position with the leg sideways or forward

Free leg in a total split position -sideways or forward, one arm hold possible

Also,
Unsupported change of edge in a spiral -3 seconds hold after the change

Unsupported change of position or direction maintaining the spiral position

I wouldn't call those difficult variations of positions, but we certainly are seeing more change-edge spirals lately.

We're seeing a lot more of all of these the last couple of seasons. Why is the Biellmann the only one people keep complaining about being overused?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
gkelly: "Why is the Biellmann the only one people keep complaining about being overused?"

Because most of the time it is being done poorly.

But then, too, most of the change of edge spirals are being done poorly this season, it seems to me. Just like everyone is trying a Bielmann whether they can do it or not, we are seeing a lot of wobbly and unsustained edges of CoEs in a variety of positions.

So far it seems like a net plus for the skaters. The extra level on base mark more than compensates for possible lower GOEs in the New Judging System.

Mathman