Updates on everyone | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Updates on everyone

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
My skating has been better.. I'm skating in a show like holiday on ice.. and this year is my first year in the selection and the showgroup (that means your having fun more fun dances, and your touring trough holland..) anyway.. I really really really have to work hard to do everything just like the ''good'' skaters in our group.. But i'm working on that!

I think since this season (2 months..) i've jumped 3 times (while I practice 3 times a week..) it's becouse we allready have a show 12 dec. and have to do like 8 dances over there.. So.. last year my jumping went SO good but now I suck..

My trainer told me I can come at sunday at 7.15 in the morning.. ut I don't want that.. thats a special hour for jumping.. But i guess it's to early for me.. :p

Anyway i'm going to try my hardest this season and I hope I can do it like the rest in the end of the season :p

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
soogar said:
It would probably make your life easier if you just focused on getting the cross position and staying in it for now before worrying about the extension in the push off and the underbrush. [this is all based on my experience, you can do with my advice what you wish :)] The reason why is because the extension and the brush underneath (to get that extra push) require the body to balance and the thing that tests the body's balance is the crossed portion of the x-over. Once the body gets comfortable with crossing the feet in that direction, the other components of the x-over become easy.
Well, we hit on crossovers Wed nite; it's amazing how a coach can zoom in right away on those things we aren't comfortable with (CW crossovers). She made me do the Figure-8 pattern several times and we worked on extension anyway and getting 5 crossovers on each circle, and tempo. After a while I got it (it still wasn't pretty but it was much better).

So now I get to work on it every time I skate, as my extension on CW crossovers isn't good. She liked the cross exercise....I guess she figures anything that gets someone more comfortable is better!

soogar

Record Breaker
Skate@Delaware said:
Well, we hit on crossovers Wed nite; it's amazing how a coach can zoom in right away on those things we aren't comfortable with (CW crossovers). She made me do the Figure-8 pattern several times and we worked on extension anyway and getting 5 crossovers on each circle, and tempo. After a while I got it (it still wasn't pretty but it was much better).

So now I get to work on it every time I skate, as my extension on CW crossovers isn't good. She liked the cross exercise....I guess she figures anything that gets someone more comfortable is better!

Keep me updated and let me know how it works for you!

icy fresh

On the Ice
Wowie! Congrats on passing the Blues backspin. That's amazing! Hopefully, I'll be pre-gold sometime soon :cool: haha but that is doubtful! I'm sorry that you're not feeling well Skate@Delaware. I hope you feel better. Unfortunately, we're heading into the cold season. Mrs. Redboots, I think that's awesome that you have a partner for dance and you compete!

Right now, I'm working on my Intermediate long program. It's so fast and jam-packed that it is really hard to keep up with! I was recently injured so I've had to work my way back into myself. Last week, I finally- I know it's about time since I'm an Intermediate-landed my axel! It was the most amazing feeling in the world! Now I'm just trying to maintain it. I hope that my program is ready in time for the Holiday Show because we literally just finished it like 2 weeks ago. I might just do singles in my program instead of doubles since it would be the first time I'd ever do that program for an audience.

Next week I'm testing my Hickory Hoedown. Finally. I've waited so long for this. I've had 3 different coaches in the past year. Long story.

My Novice moves are coming along okay. They're not ready to pass, but hopefully soon. They're really hard! Lastly, Theatre on Ice is exciting! I am having a lot of fun with that and I love our number. I can't wait to compete for the first time!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
backspin said:
Actually most people hate that dance due to the hokey music rather than because of the difficulty. :laugh: The steps themselves are interesting, and you get to change partner positions, which makes it even more interesting. But the music-----oooohhhh, the music........make it stop! :banging: (where's that cute little barfing smilie when you need it!!?)

See, now, it doesn't bother me any, unless there's a particularly irritating one not on Caroline's CD. Sort of like "Rodeo" only on skates, and not as random (of course "Rodeo" is a ballet.) Whereas I hate every last one of the Rhythm Blues cuts and if I never have to hear them again I'll be happy camper. As of today, I don't have to hear them, either, as I passed it and am officially done with Preliminary dances. On to the Fiesta Tango, Cha Cha and Swing. Also on to Preliminary Moves, as I passed Pre-Pre, too. (I think the judge was the only one who didn't say "You're not taking Adult Pre-Bronze?" He was a nice, older gentleman, who told me to start by saying "Go out and skate a lap. Go like hell!" Which is one thing you never have to tell me to do twice. My dance coach has started calling me "Maverick", as in Tom Cruise's character in "Top Gun." I don't FEEL like I'm going that fast.)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I did NOT pass my adult bronze mif test:frown: I was really disappointed, because I really thought I did a good job, no mistakes and nice flow and speed.
Two judges gave me a total of 12.3 (.2 short of passing) and the other gave me a score of 12.1. My scores were from 2.3 to 2.6. I have a feeling that they scored me like a standard pre-juvenile instead of a adult, because some comments said I lacked power. My lowest scores came from my Backward Perimeter Stroking and my Power 3 turns. I thought my power 3 turns were pretty good, I guess not lol!!!! I watched the test on video and thought it looked fine, everyone else watching thought it looked fine, but not the judges!!
So it's back to work on the test and hopefully I can pass next month.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Passed both, Pre-Pre moves (in spite of a nervous adrenaline rush as I started my back insides and my legs shook so badly I almost put a foot down) and Rhythm Blues. Not many comments from the judges, but my dance coach said it was the best RB I've ever done, and he and my MiF coach said my spirals were the best they've ever seen from me. I also did not, for a change, choke on my waltz eights at all, in warm-ups or in in the test. The timing sucked, I thought, but at pre-pre I think all they cared about was I didn't put a foot down, fall over, or make a hideous scraping noise. Even my tracings looked pretty good, not that anyone saw it but me.

*eyes scary power threes. Dreads MiF lesson Monday.*

princess-ice

Rinkside
Doing Great!!

My coach was sick for part of last week, so I had a few extra "practice" sessions without lessons. I kept at it, and I think (don't know for sure without my coaches "seal of approval") that I landed my double Axel. Cross your fingers for me, please, because I'm going to give it whirl tomorrow and show my coach. :agree:

icy fresh

On the Ice
Wow! That's amazing princess-ice. That must've been a great feeling!!! Juliet, that's awesome that you passed PPM and RB! Good job. :agree:

I passed my Hickory Hoedown! I got to miss school for it too! :clap:

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
Okay, so I'm a relatively new adult skater, 21 months to be exact, and I too have a great deal of trouble with my CW x-overs, however, my biggest challenge with them is my toepick. I can't seem to get my left over right without ending up on my right toepick, hence ending up on the ice. I like the idea of using the crossrolls, which my coach has just recently started me on, but I'm still wary of that dumb toepick. :sheesh:

I'd be the first to say it's my distribution of weight, but I have the same issue with stroking on the right side. It took me sooooo long to get my right blade mounted right, that I'm afraid to move it again.

any thoughts?

princess-ice

Rinkside
Taking a little rest

I've been working on my Intermediate and Novice Moves. I'm also working on different double jump combinations and perfecting my spins. My Bielmann is looking really nice -- I'm focusing on position after the leg comes down because sometimes it get too "swingy". ;)

I'll be performing my freestyle program from this year in our Holiday on Ice program and there is a group routine that I'm in also. I've been put with the "big" kids (they are all in jr high and high school) because I'm doing the same jumps and spins. :agree:

It's been a little tough though because some people don't want to be my friend anymore just because I'm moving up in skating levels and jumps faster. Someone even told me that if I was going to be skating with the "big" kids then I could just be friends with them. It kind of hurt my feelings. :disapp:

icy fresh

On the Ice
Princess-ice, it's great to hear that you are doing so well! Unfortunately, there are always going to be people who are jealous of you and it seems like quite a few people at your rink are! That was awful what that girl said and the sad part is that it has nothing to do with who you are as a person. She just doesn't want to be your friend, I'm guessing, because of your skating talent, which is an awful reason. Don't feel down on yourself because it seems like this girl isn't someone you'd want to be friends with anyway if she was so mean to you. I know that what she said still hurts. But don't let some girls get between you and your skating goals!

Fortunately at my rink we don't have this problem. There aren't very many skaters and I know all of them. I'm close with everyone and I'll never forget what one girl said to me. She said: "I think it's great that you're friends with everyone no matter what level they're on in skating." That made me so happy when she said that because I'll admit, modestly, that I am one of the higher-level skaters at the rink and there's only a few of us.

I think it would be best if you were just nice to everyone, which I'm sure you are. I never brag about my skating accomplishments and I think that's why I've been able to be friends with everyone.

princess-ice

Rinkside
Reply to icy-fresh

Thanks for your response, it made me feel a little better. I am nice to other skaters, but as a result of your post, I'm going to make an effort to be extra nice to everyone. :p

I don't ever talk about my accomplishments at the rink. But, I think what gets the other skaters mad is that when I come off the ice all their parents swarm around me and "gush" about how well I'm doing. I graciously say thank you and smile. But I know their kids are watching and are getting mad. I feel bad because it is really a result of their parents' poor judgment, not myself. Does anyone have any other advice on how I should deal with the other skaters' parents when they do this -- it's honestly become a "regular" thing now. :cry:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
As a parent and an adult skater, I cannot believe that those parents at your rink would stand around you and gush about your skating in front of their kids. What are they thinking? Do they do that all the time? Can you get off the rink at a place they are not at? Maybe they gush at all of the skaters and that is their way of encouraging everyone. I think your doing a good job of graciously thanking them and moving on.

I've never seen anyone at my rink gushing about any of the skaters. I know that I have gushed at the very little ones skating their programs because they are so cute.

Keep up your good skating and remember to be polite and nice to everyone out on the ice (and off the ice).

icy fresh

On the Ice
My advice, to Princess-ice, when they're gushing about you, maybe you can say something like: "Thanks a lot. I've been noticing that "insert skater's name" has been really improving a lot." Just maybe compliment them on their kids or acknowledge their kids when they pass a test or do well at a competition. Good luck!