Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Updates on everyone

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    It would probably make your life easier if you just focused on getting the cross position and staying in it for now before worrying about the extension in the push off and the underbrush. [this is all based on my experience, you can do with my advice what you wish ] The reason why is because the extension and the brush underneath (to get that extra push) require the body to balance and the thing that tests the body's balance is the crossed portion of the x-over. Once the body gets comfortable with crossing the feet in that direction, the other components of the x-over become easy.
    Sounds like a good plan! I'll give it a go! Let you know later how it works.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    backspin, which pre-gold was it? That's so awesome! Congratulations!
    It was the Blues. The only unfortunate thing was I really like that dance--I finally get to work on a dance I enjoy, & then I go & pass it & now will have to work on something else! That's okay though, I'll take it. Probably heading into Kilian Country next.

Custom Title

Thumbs up

We have just finished our competitive season on a very high note, having finally beaten our closest rivals! Not yet in the compulsory dances, oddly, but in our free dance - we've been very, very close all season, although they had slightly more technical content in their dance than we did. But they didn't have a great skate in this last competition, and we did.... :D :D :D

And, back in training, we are playing with new elements for next year's dance, and already have a new spin, which we can actually do! To our surprise....

Ballroom Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by backspin
    It was the Blues. The only unfortunate thing was I really like that dance--I finally get to work on a dance I enjoy, & then I go & pass it & now will have to work on something else! That's okay though, I'll take it. Probably heading into Kilian Country next.
    Hee, that's how I felt about the Canasta Tango, but then I started the Fiesta Tango (and if I pass Rhythm Blues on Friday, I can go back to working on that one instead of RB, which I'm getting really tired of.) And I got a look at what's even farther ahead--one of my coaches demonstrated the Hickory Hoedown and I said what I'm sure are going to end up being famous last words, "That doesn't look THAT hard." (I'll say in my defense, that was a response to her comment that this was a dance most of her students want to avoid like the plague. It doesn't look THAT horrible--deep edges on the end pattern, yeah, but they're OUTSIDE edges, and it's a fast three-turn, but why else am I practicing these turns over and over and over again if I'm not going to do them fast at some point?)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    (I'll say in my defense, that was a response to her comment that this was a dance most of her students want to avoid like the plague. It doesn't look THAT horrible--deep edges on the end pattern, yeah, but they're OUTSIDE edges, and it's a fast three-turn, but why else am I practicing these turns over and over and over again if I'm not going to do them fast at some point?)
    Actually most people hate that dance due to the hokey music rather than because of the difficulty. The steps themselves are interesting, and you get to change partner positions, which makes it even more interesting. But the music-----oooohhhh, the music........make it stop! :banging: (where's that cute little barfing smilie when you need it!!?)

On the Ice
    My skating has been better.. I'm skating in a show like holiday on ice.. and this year is my first year in the selection and the showgroup (that means your having fun more fun dances, and your touring trough holland..) anyway.. I really really really have to work hard to do everything just like the ''good'' skaters in our group.. But i'm working on that!

I think since this season (2 months..) i've jumped 3 times (while I practice 3 times a week..) it's becouse we allready have a show 12 dec. and have to do like 8 dances over there.. So.. last year my jumping went SO good but now I suck..

My trainer told me I can come at sunday at 7.15 in the morning.. ut I don't want that.. thats a special hour for jumping.. But i guess it's to early for me..

Anyway i'm going to try my hardest this season and I hope I can do it like the rest in the end of the season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    It would probably make your life easier if you just focused on getting the cross position and staying in it for now before worrying about the extension in the push off and the underbrush. [this is all based on my experience, you can do with my advice what you wish ] The reason why is because the extension and the brush underneath (to get that extra push) require the body to balance and the thing that tests the body's balance is the crossed portion of the x-over. Once the body gets comfortable with crossing the feet in that direction, the other components of the x-over become easy.
    Well, we hit on crossovers Wed nite; it's amazing how a coach can zoom in right away on those things we aren't comfortable with (CW crossovers). She made me do the Figure-8 pattern several times and we worked on extension anyway and getting 5 crossovers on each circle, and tempo. After a while I got it (it still wasn't pretty but it was much better).

So now I get to work on it every time I skate, as my extension on CW crossovers isn't good. She liked the cross exercise....I guess she figures anything that gets someone more comfortable is better!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate@Delaware
    Well, we hit on crossovers Wed nite; it's amazing how a coach can zoom in right away on those things we aren't comfortable with (CW crossovers). She made me do the Figure-8 pattern several times and we worked on extension anyway and getting 5 crossovers on each circle, and tempo. After a while I got it (it still wasn't pretty but it was much better).

So now I get to work on it every time I skate, as my extension on CW crossovers isn't good. She liked the cross exercise....I guess she figures anything that gets someone more comfortable is better!
    Keep me updated and let me know how it works for you!

I'm an Italian Bambina icy fresh's Avatar
    Wowie! Congrats on passing the Blues backspin. That's amazing! Hopefully, I'll be pre-gold sometime soon haha but that is doubtful! I'm sorry that you're not feeling well Skate@Delaware. I hope you feel better. Unfortunately, we're heading into the cold season. Mrs. Redboots, I think that's awesome that you have a partner for dance and you compete!

Right now, I'm working on my Intermediate long program. It's so fast and jam-packed that it is really hard to keep up with! I was recently injured so I've had to work my way back into myself. Last week, I finally- I know it's about time since I'm an Intermediate-landed my axel! It was the most amazing feeling in the world! Now I'm just trying to maintain it. I hope that my program is ready in time for the Holiday Show because we literally just finished it like 2 weeks ago. I might just do singles in my program instead of doubles since it would be the first time I'd ever do that program for an audience.

Next week I'm testing my Hickory Hoedown. Finally. I've waited so long for this. I've had 3 different coaches in the past year. Long story.

My Novice moves are coming along okay. They're not ready to pass, but hopefully soon. They're really hard! Lastly, Theatre on Ice is exciting! I am having a lot of fun with that and I love our number. I can't wait to compete for the first time!

Ballroom Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by backspin
    Actually most people hate that dance due to the hokey music rather than because of the difficulty. The steps themselves are interesting, and you get to change partner positions, which makes it even more interesting. But the music-----oooohhhh, the music........make it stop! :banging: (where's that cute little barfing smilie when you need it!!?)
    See, now, it doesn't bother me any, unless there's a particularly irritating one not on Caroline's CD. Sort of like "Rodeo" only on skates, and not as random (of course "Rodeo" is a ballet.) Whereas I hate every last one of the Rhythm Blues cuts and if I never have to hear them again I'll be happy camper. As of today, I don't have to hear them, either, as I passed it and am officially done with Preliminary dances. On to the Fiesta Tango, Cha Cha and Swing. Also on to Preliminary Moves, as I passed Pre-Pre, too. (I think the judge was the only one who didn't say "You're not taking Adult Pre-Bronze?" He was a nice, older gentleman, who told me to start by saying "Go out and skate a lap. Go like hell!" Which is one thing you never have to tell me to do twice. My dance coach has started calling me "Maverick", as in Tom Cruise's character in "Top Gun." I don't FEEL like I'm going that fast.)

How did everyone do on their tests yesterday?

I did NOT pass my adult bronze mif test I was really disappointed, because I really thought I did a good job, no mistakes and nice flow and speed.
    Two judges gave me a total of 12.3 (.2 short of passing) and the other gave me a score of 12.1. My scores were from 2.3 to 2.6. I have a feeling that they scored me like a standard pre-juvenile instead of a adult, because some comments said I lacked power. My lowest scores came from my Backward Perimeter Stroking and my Power 3 turns. I thought my power 3 turns were pretty good, I guess not lol!!!! I watched the test on video and thought it looked fine, everyone else watching thought it looked fine, but not the judges!!
    So it's back to work on the test and hopefully I can pass next month.

Ballroom Baby
    Passed both, Pre-Pre moves (in spite of a nervous adrenaline rush as I started my back insides and my legs shook so badly I almost put a foot down) and Rhythm Blues. Not many comments from the judges, but my dance coach said it was the best RB I've ever done, and he and my MiF coach said my spirals were the best they've ever seen from me. I also did not, for a change, choke on my waltz eights at all, in warm-ups or in in the test. The timing sucked, I thought, but at pre-pre I think all they cared about was I didn't put a foot down, fall over, or make a hideous scraping noise. Even my tracings looked pretty good, not that anyone saw it but me.

*eyes scary power threes. Dreads MiF lesson Monday.*

Tripping on the Podium

Doing Great!!

My coach was sick for part of last week, so I had a few extra "practice" sessions without lessons. I kept at it, and I think (don't know for sure without my coaches "seal of approval") that I landed my double Axel. Cross your fingers for me, please, because I'm going to give it whirl tomorrow and show my coach.

Wow! That's amazing princess-ice. That must've been a great feeling!!! Juliet, that's awesome that you passed PPM and RB! Good job.

I passed my Hickory Hoedown! I got to miss school for it too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast