Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Updates on everyone

On the Ice
    Okay, so I'm a relatively new adult skater, 21 months to be exact, and I too have a great deal of trouble with my CW x-overs, however, my biggest challenge with them is my toepick. I can't seem to get my left over right without ending up on my right toepick, hence ending up on the ice. I like the idea of using the crossrolls, which my coach has just recently started me on, but I'm still wary of that dumb toepick. :sheesh:

I'd be the first to say it's my distribution of weight, but I have the same issue with stroking on the right side. It took me sooooo long to get my right blade mounted right, that I'm afraid to move it again.

any thoughts?

icy_fresh- Congrats on passing your Hickory Hoedown!

I'm an Italian Bambina icy fresh's Avatar
    Thank you!

Tripping on the Podium

Taking a little rest

I've been working on my Intermediate and Novice Moves. I'm also working on different double jump combinations and perfecting my spins. My Bielmann is looking really nice -- I'm focusing on position after the leg comes down because sometimes it get too "swingy".

I'll be performing my freestyle program from this year in our Holiday on Ice program and there is a group routine that I'm in also. I've been put with the "big" kids (they are all in jr high and high school) because I'm doing the same jumps and spins.

It's been a little tough though because some people don't want to be my friend anymore just because I'm moving up in skating levels and jumps faster. Someone even told me that if I was going to be skating with the "big" kids then I could just be friends with them. It kind of hurt my feelings.

Princess-ice, it's great to hear that you are doing so well! Unfortunately, there are always going to be people who are jealous of you and it seems like quite a few people at your rink are! That was awful what that girl said and the sad part is that it has nothing to do with who you are as a person. She just doesn't want to be your friend, I'm guessing, because of your skating talent, which is an awful reason. Don't feel down on yourself because it seems like this girl isn't someone you'd want to be friends with anyway if she was so mean to you. I know that what she said still hurts. But don't let some girls get between you and your skating goals!

Fortunately at my rink we don't have this problem. There aren't very many skaters and I know all of them. I'm close with everyone and I'll never forget what one girl said to me. She said: "I think it's great that you're friends with everyone no matter what level they're on in skating." That made me so happy when she said that because I'll admit, modestly, that I am one of the higher-level skaters at the rink and there's only a few of us.

I think it would be best if you were just nice to everyone, which I'm sure you are. I never brag about my skating accomplishments and I think that's why I've been able to be friends with everyone.

Tripping on the Podium

Reply to icy-fresh

Thanks for your response, it made me feel a little better. I am nice to other skaters, but as a result of your post, I'm going to make an effort to be extra nice to everyone.

I don't ever talk about my accomplishments at the rink. But, I think what gets the other skaters mad is that when I come off the ice all their parents swarm around me and "gush" about how well I'm doing. I graciously say thank you and smile. But I know their kids are watching and are getting mad. I feel bad because it is really a result of their parents' poor judgment, not myself. Does anyone have any other advice on how I should deal with the other skaters' parents when they do this -- it's honestly become a "regular" thing now.

As a parent and an adult skater, I cannot believe that those parents at your rink would stand around you and gush about your skating in front of their kids. What are they thinking? Do they do that all the time? Can you get off the rink at a place they are not at? Maybe they gush at all of the skaters and that is their way of encouraging everyone. I think your doing a good job of graciously thanking them and moving on.

I've never seen anyone at my rink gushing about any of the skaters. I know that I have gushed at the very little ones skating their programs because they are so cute.

Keep up your good skating and remember to be polite and nice to everyone out on the ice (and off the ice).

My advice, to Princess-ice, when they're gushing about you, maybe you can say something like: "Thanks a lot. I've been noticing that "insert skater's name" has been really improving a lot." Just maybe compliment them on their kids or acknowledge their kids when they pass a test or do well at a competition. Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3