Predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Predictions

singerskates

On the Ice
chuckm said:
Cohen is DEFINITELY going to TEB, and so far she has never finished worse than 2nd at a GP event. Her injury was minor and she's already had a prep at Campbell's where she scored 122 points in the FS.

I think Rochette is up against it here. Elena Sokolova is no pushover---she scored 163 points winning gold at Skate America, more than 5 points higher than Rochette scored at Skate Canada. Elena is in great competitive shape this season, the best she's been since 2002-2003, with two wins on her resume (SA and Nebelhorn). And Mao and Shizuka are both formidable skaters.

With Cohen in, I think Joannie making the podium is a bit of a long shot.
The competition for Campbells was before Skate America. Who knows except Cohen how she will do if she shows? Look at poor Johnny Wier, he didn't have a chance to give my elite fav Jeff and Emmanuel a run for their money because of his foot. Not everyone is an Elvis Stojko ready to compete no matter if their body parts are falling off or not. Some are more human. Elvis is still my fav male pro skater.

singerskates

On the Ice
CDMM1991 said:
I am a huge Joannie fan, and think she is definitely something special; I just don't know what it is yet. But, I too, am very disappointed with her music selections this year. Last year Firebird was a Firebird that we have never seen before, despite the common music. It was unique, quirky, and she pulled it off. And that coupled with a great short program, were a great combination, and she got credit for that program (the LP) where it was due. All of her placings, besides maybe behind Shiz at GPF were fairly accurate. Her worlds program was a meltdown, and she deserved the scores she got there.

This season's programs on the other hand, aren't anything unique. Joannie doesn't have the incredibly smooth quality, that just watching her do crossovers sends shivers down or spine, so she does need different choreography than a lot of other skaters. She needs choreography that isn't all about the soft, smooth glides, and musicality. She had that choreography last year, and I had the feeling like she had nowhere to go but down. Anyways, maybe it is just early in the season, and the choreography will shine once she starts landing all the jumps, but for now, as a Joannie fan, I'm underwhelmed.

CDMM

P.S. Two beautiful costumes though, mind you I think they might be a bit too similar.

I'd love for Joannie to return to Firebird for the Olympics just like Jamie and David did with Love Story. Now that would be awesome.

Joannie needs to find a new short program too. I'd love to pick a piece of music for Joannie and edit it for her. Then I'd love to see what Wilson and Joannie do with it.

Brigitte Laskowski [email protected]

Buttle has 2 well thought out choreographed programs which he skates so well to. Joubert also has a good program. I hope he doesn't have a distracting costume. Michael has to prove himself with this. I think he can.

So those 3 interchangeably, although I picked Joubert. He owes his hometown a decent skate. Add on Goebel who also has to prove himself and that will be the TV show.

It's Sasha's to lose. Joannie for the better program. I have to admit, Elena did two fine competitive skates at Skate America, but for me, she's not on my A list.
Kimmie will also be there and I think she will need the 3A. That'll be the TV show and again I will miss Maniachenko who can be the most lyrical skater from eastern europe.

T&M without even thinkiing but I would like to compare the breakdown of all the scores for the competitors. There will be contest for the podium's silver and bronze.

Del & Schoen should not have any problem even with faults. Sorry, I'm not crazy about G&G, but I was impressed with B&B at Skate america. I would like another look at M&Z.

I think Joubert has the goods to win. But I don't like his LP at all. To me, he needs a routine with more gravitas, or something. This tap dancy Lord of the Dance thing, trying to morph Michael Flatey and Alexei Yagudin, is for the birds, IMHO.

MM

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have done extremely poorly in predictions this season...

Ladies
Cohen
Arakawa
Asada

Men
Joubert
Weiss
Buttle

Pairs
Totmianina / Marinin
Pang / Tong
Marcoux / Buntin