3. Frederic Dambier

Ladies:

1. Sasha Cohen (if she shows)
2. Mao Asada
3. Joannie Rochette

Pairs:

1. Totmiannina/Marinin
2. Pang/Tong
3. Inoue/Baldwin or Marcoux/Buntin (it's a toss-up)

Ice Dance:

1. Delobel/Scheonfelder
2. Grushina/Goncharov
3. Faiella/Scali

What are your predictions?

euterpe

Medalist
MEN
Joubert
Buttle
Dobrin
Goebel
Weiss
Dambier

LADIES
Cohen
Asada
Arakawa
Sokolova
Rochette
Meissner

PAIRS
Totmianina/Marinin (watch for the 8s)
Pang/Tong
Inoue/Baldwin
Marcoux/Buntin
Shestakova/Lebedev
Castile/Okolski

DANCE
Delobel/Schoenfelder
Grushina/Goncharov
Khokhlova/Novitski
Faiella/Scali
Matthews/Zavozin
Beier/Beier

Wait, I take that back. I just saw that my all-time faves are in it -- go Watanabe and Kido!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Arakawa and Rochette have the best shot. Who knows, maybe Elena will have a good shot at both of them if they don't do well. I'll assume Cohen doesn't show up.

Wow, the dance competiton is going to be great. Go Beier and Beier, Kerr and Kerr, and Faiella and Scali!

rain

Record Breaker
I'm always wrong, but it's fun to guess anyway:

Mens:
Buttle
Joubert
Goebel

Ladies:
Man is that a stacked field!!!
Cohen, Arakawa, Asada, Rochette - and really? You can't count out Sokolova or Meissner

Pairs:
Tomianina/ Marinin
Pang/Tong
Inoue/ Baldwin or Marcoux/ Buntin

Dance:
Delobel/ Schoenfelder
Grushina/ Goncharov
Faiella/Scali

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well here's my stab at it:

Pairs:
1. Totmianina and Marinin - without a doubt
2. Inoue and Baldwin - if they have decent skates and land the throw 3axel
3. Pang and Tong - Could be 2nd if Inoue and Baldwin falter

Men:
1. Goebel - the reason why I put him 1st is because he needs to win in order to get to the GPF
2. Buttle - here's hoping he can do the quad
3. Joubert - pressure of the home crowd is his weakness

Ice Dancing:
1. Delobel/Schoenfelder - I just love this team
2. Grushina/Goncharov - If they did what they did at SC....
3. Faiella/Scali - Hoping they do better than at CoC

Ladies:
1. Sasha Cohen - If she competes.......she should win hands down
2. Mao Asada - after seeing her at CoC she clearly is a force to be reckon with
3. In my opinion is up for grabs between 1. Joannie Rochette 2. Shizuka Arakawa 3. Elena Sokolova 4. Kimmie Meissner

The Ladies competition she be very interesting

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
I think Arakawa and Rochette have the best shot. Who knows, maybe Elena will have a good shot at both of them if they don't do well. I'll assume Cohen doesn't show up.

Cohen is DEFINITELY going to TEB, and so far she has never finished worse than 2nd at a GP event. Her injury was minor and she's already had a prep at Campbell's where she scored 122 points in the FS.

I think Rochette is up against it here. Elena Sokolova is no pushover---she scored 163 points winning gold at Skate America, more than 5 points higher than Rochette scored at Skate Canada. Elena is in great competitive shape this season, the best she's been since 2002-2003, with two wins on her resume (SA and Nebelhorn). And Mao and Shizuka are both formidable skaters.

With Cohen in, I think Joannie making the podium is a bit of a long shot.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Not predictions, but ROOTING FORS!

Being the selfish point who*e that I am, I am going to root for those folks first - that are on my GP Team for the Challenge:

Men:
1. Joubert
2. Buttle (or I'm OK with the reverse of that :))

Ladies:
1. Arakawa
2. Asada
3. Rochette (or any order of those :))

** Note: If Sasha wins I will gladly give up some points in the GP Team Challenge as she is my sentimental fave.

Pairs:
1. T/M
2. I/B (or the reverse of those - yeah dream on! But go I/B for the throw 3A! :))

Dance:
1. D/S
2. Biers (or the reverse of those :)

I hope this is a huge scoring event for ME as somehow I have so many singles/teams "in the hunt." I am just SO SELFISH in my point whoring!!

DG

Last edited:
Whoa - can you picture Kimmie even being on the podium here? What an upset it would be.

Sasha should not have any trouble winning this.

It's the consistency with Elena S that is new; the program is always the same.

Joannie, if she skates clean should be the silver medalist.

Shizuka, is always puzzling. She's never bad but not always at her best. If she does skate her best, she will give Joannie a run for the spot.

Mao - I just don't know.

Anyone who wins or lands on the podium whom I have not mentioned will be a total surprise to me.

All three, Goebel, Buttle, Joubert have to make this competition a sign of being with it this season. They should make the podium in whatever order.

Buttle has the great program but can he do it? Joubert will land the quad. Goebel may land the quad but will get mucho points for the air rotations.

Michael Weiss is an enigma. I am looking forward to seeing him skate and see if there is some stuff still there.

Dobrinin is a young thin pale boy who is being forced to be a macho skater (which he doesn't have in him).

Dambier will be entertaining if not competitive.

The Pairs are pretty much in place: T&M; P&T; M&B or I&B

The Dance are always much in place: D&L; G&G; K&N (preparing for the future).
F&S and B&B both teams very good but Dance is always judged strangely.

JMO - Joe

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I'm not so sure Rochette can win a medal of any color at TEB. She scored 158 in Canada, 5 points less than Elena Sokolova scored in Skate America, and 15-17 points less than two of her TEB opponents scored at CoC. And Joannie skated well at Skate Canada!

The problem is Joannie doesn't get much respect from the judges---they continue to give her lowish PCS scores (mid 6s). She has no cushion, so any small mistake could keep her off the podium.

euterpe said:
The problem is Joannie doesn't get much respect from the judges---they continue to give her lowish PCS scores (mid 6s). She has no cushion, so any small mistake could keep her off the podium.
I agree. Joannie is a robust skater, not a delicate little flower. Her program component scores should mirror her technical scores, but she won't get a break in PCS without a clean and impressive tech showing.

MM :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I agree. Joannie is a robust skater, not a delicate little flower. Her program component scores should mirror her technical scores, but she won't get a break in PCS without a clean and impressive tech showing.

MM :)

I've been trying to put my finger on the reasons that maybe Joannie isn't rising through the ranks like it seems she should be. She's IMO a really solid overall skater. I'm starting to think that maybe it's just that - being a solid all around skater - that might hurt her the most. Maybe there isn't some One Thing that really stands out. Like for Kimmie, it was the 3A and other jumps. That's true to an even greater degree for Mao. For Alissa (especially this season so far) it's her spins, and IMO a better Biellman than other current skaters (i.e. Irina). For Shiz it's her smooth flow. For Sasha it's flexibility affording her some incredible moves. For Irina it's high jumps and power. For MK it's musicality and audience connection.

Don't get me wrong - I think "podium" requires good all around skating. As an example, I think Alissa has had some "wow" spinning before. But jump problems held her out of the lime light. I'm just trying to answer the question "Joannie is really SUPER at __________"

I could be all wrong about this. I'm just thinking that capturing the full attention of the international judging crowd might take some one "standout" area in addition to being well rounded (or at least "good enough" in all key areas) in general.

Neither her SP nor LP were "standouts" for me so far this year, which was disappointing because I like her skating. Firebird from last year gave me hope that this year could be her breakout. It hasn't done that for me so far....

Thoughts?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I almost feel bad making predictions since I'm the kiss of death to skaters... But too bad for them! Here we go!

Ladies
DivaKwara
Sasha
Joanine (Only because I think the judges are going to hold Mao back a bit, mainly because she can't compete at the Olympics)

Men

Joubert
Goebel / Weiss (I just feel a bit of a twist here...)
Buttle

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, Sarah won the O's with a similar resume to Joannie Rochette-and did it by landing all her tricks. That's probably what Joannie needs to do here. Unfortunately, despite the enthusiasm of many, I don't get the 'all that' about Joannie, except that she is unusual as a solid Canadian lady skater. Third is going to be a stretch for her. I loved Shizuka's COC skate-miles ahead of Joannie's SC.

I like too many of the skaters at this event to predict anything, except that T&M will be first in Pairs, P&T second; and Delobel & Schoenfelder will be first in dance, G&G second, I'd like the Mat/Zavs to be 3rd-perhaps F&S will still be too flustered to do well.