Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CoP Scores at 9! Is that same as 6.0

CoP Scores at 9! Is that same as 6.0

I mean is there a perfect score where they have to stop? or can they go on up to 15.0 plus?

From what I've seen of the PCS scores, I find them extremely high and it seems to go with skaters who grimace with passion I hope they discuss this item in May about the CoP.

Joe

Custom Title
    The perfect score for PCS is a 10.0

I believe the highest scores given (by an individual judge) for PCS was for Jeff's SP at the GPF last year where one judge gave him 9.25 for performance/execution and also for choreography. He also got a 9 from that same judge for interpretation. That judge also gave Emanuel a 9.25 for performance/execution. (Plush got a 9.0 on all 3 of those aspects of PCS, and Emanuel also got a 9.0 on interpretation). I don't think I've seen an overall score for a component go past 8.5 (Plush), but I know Jeff has received the highest by an individual judge with those scores.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    I doubt we'll see a 10 for anyone, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Irina gets marks in the 9's at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    So far, the only skaters we've seen who got 9s from (some of ) the judges were Irina and Navka/Kostomarov. I expect to see near-10s for N/K at Torino, and I think that is ridiculous. They are good, but they aren't THAT good. If Plushenko is in fighting trim, I'm sure we will see 9+ for him too. We haven't seen Totmianina / Marinin yet, but look for 9s there also.

Anybody see a trend here?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    So far, the only skaters we've seen who got 9s from (some of ) the judges were Irina and Navka/Kostomarov. I expect to see near-10s for N/K at Torino, and I think that is ridiculous. They are good, but they aren't THAT good. If Plushenko is in fighting trim, I'm sure we will see 9+ for him too. We haven't seen Totmianina / Marinin yet, but look for 9s there also.

ITA. I think these 9s are going to force comparisons of skaters and the same old cheats are going to be there. The purpose of the CoP was to score the individual skater and not to compare skaters.

Sadly, once the overzealous judges are realized by their colleagues all the judges will start comparing skaters for the win.

Joe

Custom Title
    If anything, the PCS scores make it even easier for judges to "place" skaters. If enough Eastern bloc and European judges give the Russian skaters ultra-high PCS scores, there is no way they will not sweep the OGMs. In fact, 'normal' scores for those skaters and teams from other judges may be the ones that look suspicious!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm

Yeah the powers that be want to ensure the Russians winning the events they are contenders in, if they even skate decently. Is that anything new however.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    ITA. I think these 9s are going to force comparisons of skaters and the same old cheats are going to be there. The purpose of the CoP was to score the individual skater and not to compare skaters.

Sadly, once the overzealous judges are realized by their colleagues all the judges will start comparing skaters for the win.
    IMO no judging system can remedy that. That is the nature of judging. This guy is best, that guy second best. I think it is unrealistic to hope that the NJS will do anything to change the subjectivity of judges' opinions.

Does Irina deserve an 8.5 for "Performance?" Well, one of the main criteria according to the ISU rules is "the skater must establish an invisible bond with the audience."

Does anyone think that "invisible bonds" can be assigned an objective point value? Was Mao Asada's bond more invisible than Irina's in Cup of China?

MM

Does Irina deserve an 8.5 for "Performance?" Well, one of the main criteria according to the ISU rules is "the skater must establish an invisible bond with the audience
    She must have because I didn't see it .

Seriously wouldn't that"invisible bond" be the thing that Kwan has with the audience? If so, things may not be so gloomy for her afterall. No one else has a connection like that with the audience.
    Last edited by Piel; 11-09-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

Hi Piel!!!

OK, now I'll rib you a bit as my favorite MK fan. MK got a 10 at this event for the invisibility factor.

(please take this in the humorous spirit it is intended. Along with everyone else, I wish a speedy recovery to MK. Somehow I just couldn't resist this snark remark...)

DG

You've got it DG! People have been dissing her for taking it easy when in reality she has been working the invisibility clause of the COP. Maybe that's her answer to Beilmann mania? She has been doing it since BEFORE the COP went into effect so the judges must have turned her on to it giving her another unfair advantage.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Seriously wouldn't that"invisible bond" be the thing that Kwan has with the audience? If so, things may not be so gloomy for her afterall. No one else has a connection like that with the audience.
    The American audience, anyway. Wasn't enough to give her gold in SLC, and I expect a more neutral audience in Torino. But if she skates her best, she should certainly be able to get 8s and maybe 9s in some of the components.

Wasn't enough to give her gold in SLC
    When a$$ hits ice it has a way of shattering those bonds, doesn't it,LOL? When she is on and on her feet it is something to behold.

Custom Title
    She made that audience connection in the FS in Dortmund, so there's no reason why she couldn't do it in Torino.

How can audience connection possibly be quantified? For instance, skaters will always make a better audience connection on home ice. Does this mean they're more deserving?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast