CoP Scores at 9! Is that same as 6.0 | Golden Skate

CoP Scores at 9! Is that same as 6.0

I mean is there a perfect score where they have to stop? or can they go on up to 15.0 plus?

From what I've seen of the PCS scores, I find them extremely high and it seems to go with skaters who grimace with passion:disagree: I hope they discuss this item in May about the CoP.

Joe

screech

Final Flight
The perfect score for PCS is a 10.0

I believe the highest scores given (by an individual judge) for PCS was for Jeff's SP at the GPF last year where one judge gave him 9.25 for performance/execution and also for choreography. He also got a 9 from that same judge for interpretation. That judge also gave Emanuel a 9.25 for performance/execution. (Plush got a 9.0 on all 3 of those aspects of PCS, and Emanuel also got a 9.0 on interpretation). I don't think I've seen an overall score for a component go past 8.5 (Plush), but I know Jeff has received the highest by an individual judge with those scores.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I doubt we'll see a 10 for anyone, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Irina gets marks in the 9's at the Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far, the only skaters we've seen who got 9s from (some of ) the judges were Irina and Navka/Kostomarov. I expect to see near-10s for N/K at Torino, and I think that is ridiculous. They are good, but they aren't THAT good. If Plushenko is in fighting trim, I'm sure we will see 9+ for him too. We haven't seen Totmianina / Marinin yet, but look for 9s there also.

Anybody see a trend here?

chuckm said:
So far, the only skaters we've seen who got 9s from (some of ) the judges were Irina and Navka/Kostomarov. I expect to see near-10s for N/K at Torino, and I think that is ridiculous. They are good, but they aren't THAT good. If Plushenko is in fighting trim, I'm sure we will see 9+ for him too. We haven't seen Totmianina / Marinin yet, but look for 9s there also.

ITA. I think these 9s are going to force comparisons of skaters and the same old cheats are going to be there. The purpose of the CoP was to score the individual skater and not to compare skaters.

Sadly, once the overzealous judges are realized by their colleagues all the judges will start comparing skaters for the win.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If anything, the PCS scores make it even easier for judges to "place" skaters. If enough Eastern bloc and European judges give the Russian skaters ultra-high PCS scores, there is no way they will not sweep the OGMs. In fact, 'normal' scores for those skaters and teams from other judges may be the ones that look suspicious!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
chuckm said:

Yeah the powers that be want to ensure the Russians winning the events they are contenders in, if they even skate decently. Is that anything new however. :laugh:

Joesitz said:
ITA. I think these 9s are going to force comparisons of skaters and the same old cheats are going to be there. The purpose of the CoP was to score the individual skater and not to compare skaters.

Sadly, once the overzealous judges are realized by their colleagues all the judges will start comparing skaters for the win.
IMO no judging system can remedy that. That is the nature of judging. This guy is best, that guy second best. I think it is unrealistic to hope that the NJS will do anything to change the subjectivity of judges' opinions.

Does Irina deserve an 8.5 for "Performance?" Well, one of the main criteria according to the ISU rules is "the skater must establish an invisible bond with the audience."

Does anyone think that "invisible bonds" can be assigned an objective point value? Was Mao Asada's bond more invisible than Irina's in Cup of China?

MM :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Does Irina deserve an 8.5 for "Performance?" Well, one of the main criteria according to the ISU rules is "the skater must establish an invisible bond with the audience

She must have because I didn't see it:biggrin: .

Seriously wouldn't that"invisible bond" be the thing that Kwan has with the audience? If so, things may not be so gloomy for her afterall. No one else has a connection like that with the audience.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Piel!!!

OK, now I'll rib you a bit as my favorite MK fan. MK got a 10 at this event for the invisibility factor. :)

(please take this in the humorous spirit it is intended. Along with everyone else, I wish a speedy recovery to MK. Somehow I just couldn't resist this snark remark...:))

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
You've got it DG! People have been dissing her for taking it easy when in reality she has been working the invisibility clause of the COP. Maybe that's her answer to Beilmann mania? She has been doing it since BEFORE the COP went into effect so the judges must have turned her on to it giving her another unfair advantage.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Seriously wouldn't that"invisible bond" be the thing that Kwan has with the audience? If so, things may not be so gloomy for her afterall. No one else has a connection like that with the audience.

The American audience, anyway. Wasn't enough to give her gold in SLC, and I expect a more neutral audience in Torino. But if she skates her best, she should certainly be able to get 8s and maybe 9s in some of the components.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Wasn't enough to give her gold in SLC

When a$$ hits ice it has a way of shattering those bonds, doesn't it,LOL? When she is on and on her feet it is something to behold.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She made that audience connection in the FS in Dortmund, so there's no reason why she couldn't do it in Torino.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
How can audience connection possibly be quantified? For instance, skaters will always make a better audience connection on home ice. Does this mean they're more deserving?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Maybe this i how the ISU left itself some wriggle room in the COP?

Ptichka said:
How can audience connection possibly be quantified? For instance, skaters will always make a better audience connection on home ice. Does this mean they're more deserving?
ITA - I can't believe that statement is in the ISU rules

"the skater must establish an invisible bond with the audience."

and we will argue to the death that our favorite skater did exactly that and your favorite skater did not.

I think there should be established that the program has no stops and poses.

Joe

screech

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I think there should be established that the program has no stops and poses.

Joe
I agree. I don't like it when skaters just stop in the middle of their program and just basically stay in one spot and barely move in order to catch their breath and 'emote' and then continue. Especially not when other skaters (*coughJEFFcough*) DON'T stop - they just constantly move throughout the program, making it so much more difficult, yet keep the energy up without that rest. So no stop and 'look at me' poses please. At least not facing me.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
You've got it DG! People have been dissing her for taking it easy when in reality she has been working the invisibility clause of the COP. Maybe that's her answer to Beilmann mania? She has been doing it since BEFORE the COP went into effect so the judges must have turned her on to it giving her another unfair advantage.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm totally starting to get it!! The Kwanspiracy Theory is all about invisibility. While the Slutespiracy Theory (please note inclusion of the "e") might have been about the Biellmann COP Extra Point Thing happening, MK has been diliigently at work in the background, utilizing her vast influence, developing the Invisibility MK Invisibility COP Factor. :) So everyone who questioned her past GP decisions now gets to eat a Big Plate Of Crow. :)

YEAH for the Oly Season!!! :biggrin: (here's to MK, IS, SC, FS, CK, SA, MA, etc. all having a great Oly year!!)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist

Very good point, Ptichka. I, too, don't really understand how you measure something that is so vaguely defined (I thought that was one of the main reasons for dumping the old system anyway....). I mean, for goodness sake, it has the word "invisible" in it........how in the world do you assign a point value to something you can't see? And, certainly, skaters will receive a much warmer reception in their home countries.