JRochette | Golden Skate

JRochette

screech

Final Flight
There are a multitude of women who are considered potential medallists. Some people certainly think that Jo has a chance at one. I mean, Irina and Sasha are considered almost 'locks' for 2 of the medals, but the 3rd is completely wide open. You have the Japanese ladies (take your pick), Michelle, Sokolova, Carolina, and yes, Joannie. And those are just a few. IMO picking who will get the 3 medals in this event is about as predictable as picking who's going to win the world series in 2056.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree about Slutskaya being a lock but I'm less confident about Cohen. To me, Slutskaya is the only sure bet right now (and I say it's 4 to 1 that she'll win the OGM). Everyone else is a ? .

lotusland

On the Ice
Initially, my response to your question about Joannie Rochette was, No. However, thinking back to previous Olympic (singles) events and remembering who won what, I'm revising my response to say ... everyone, and anyone, who stands up, skates clean, skates with conviction, skates with passion and skates with a touch of wild abandon, definately puts themself in a plum position for the Oly Podium. :rock:

Who knows the judges' taste in 'artistry'. Joannie has the best choreographed routine so far that I've seen but will she get the PCS scores for that?

I would definitely put Joannie in the possible podium position.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far the judges haven't been impressed enough to give her the PCS scores she needs to make the podium. She does have excellent choreography, but her bland music choices this season do not complement her powerful style, and that will not help her in the PCS department.

euterpe

Medalist
Look at the past four Ladies Olympic podiums, and you will get a hint of whether Joannie Rochette has a realistic shot at a podium finish.

1992: 1991 World Champ Kristi Yamaguchi, 1989 World Champ/1990 World silver medalist Midori Ito, 1991 World bronze medalist Nancy Kerrigan

1994: 1993 World Champ Oksana Baiul, 1992 Olympic bronze medalist/World silver medalist Nancy Kerrigan, 1992/1993 World bronze medalist Chen Lu

1998: 1997 World Champ Tara Lipinski, 1996 World Champ/1997 World silver medalist Michelle Kwan, 1995 World Champ/1996 World silver medalist/1993 Olympic bronze medalist Chen Lu.

2002: 2001 World bronze medalist Sarah Hughes; 2001 World silver medalist Irina Slutskaya; 2001 World Champ Michelle Kwan

Joannie, 8th at Worlds 2004 and 11th at Worlds 2005, would not seem to fit the pattern.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can't help wondering how the 2002 Olympics would have worked out if it were held under CoP. In the SP, given the judges at that event, Sarah's TES and PCS scores might have been low enough to keep her from winning, even with the bravura skate in the FS. I suspect that had the competition been under CoP, Irina would have won, Kwan would have been second, and Sarah third or even fourth (Sasha might have edged her sufficiently via PCS scores to make the podium).

I think you only have to look at the PCS scores skaters got at Worlds 2005 to get a handle on who has a shot at the Torino podium. Reputation still means a lot, and it is reflected in the PCS.

Linny

Final Flight
Realistically maybe not but

Realistically speaking, Rocette might not be a contentor but in figure skating anything can happen. It's part of the charm of the sport.
Linny

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Linny said:
Realistically speaking, Rocette might not be a contentor but in figure skating anything can happen. It's part of the charm of the sport.
Linny

I agree Linny. You never know what is going to happen out there. One of the top contenders could go out and really blow it. It has happened before and it may happen again. With the new system you could really mess up the short and come back and win it all with the long. Look at Emmanuel Sandu at Skate Canada in 2004. He was seventh after the short and came back to win it with the long. Anything is possible. GO Joannie!!!!!!!!!:clap: :rock: :clap:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was Skate Canada. In 2005 there were only 3 Worlds top 10 competitors, and one of them (Weir) was injured early in the FS and struggled with his program, and another (Buttle) skated like c--p. In 2004, the field was even weaker, with Lindemann (not an early-season skater) and an injured Honda.

Sandhu can't expect to finish 6th or 7th in the SP at Torino and walk off with a medal of any color. He has bombed his SP in the last two Worlds and finished off the podium, despite a great FS.

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
chuckm said:
You can't help wondering how the 2002 Olympics would have worked out if it were held under CoP. In the SP, given the judges at that event, Sarah's TES and PCS scores might have been low enough to keep her from winning, even with the bravura skate in the FS. I suspect that had the competition been under CoP, Irina would have won, Kwan would have been second, and Sarah third or even fourth (Sasha might have edged her sufficiently via PCS scores to make the podium).
Sarah would have been even lower than that because of her cheated jumps - they would have been downgraded to doubles.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
That was Skate Canada. In 2005 there were only 3 Worlds top 10 competitors, and one of them (Weir) was injured early in the FS and struggled with his program, and another (Buttle) skated like c--p. In 2004, the field was even weaker, with Lindemann (not an early-season skater) and an injured Honda.

Sandhu can't expect to finish 6th or 7th in the SP at Torino and walk off with a medal of any color. He has bombed his SP in the last two Worlds and finished off the podium, despite a great FS.

Yeah but he bombed in the short again at Cup of China and won again. He might start to think it is doable for him if he keeps doing it, that doesnt mean he is right however. :laugh:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
screech said:
Sarah would have been even lower than that because of her cheated jumps - they would have been downgraded to doubles.

You are right, Sarah would have only had her triple sal/triple loop counted as a triple sal/double loop and her triple toe/triple loop counted as a triple toe/double loop. She would have had less jump difficulty than Kwan, Slutskaya, or Cohen. Maybe with the current COP she would not even have planned triple-
triples to try though, since we know she has no hope of doing a triple-triple that isnt cheated, and I am sure she knows that as well.

Her short program might have been even lower than 4th under the new COP, and she would have been 5+ points behind Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen I would estimate. It probably was a 57 point program at best. I doubt she would have even medaled in SCL under the current COP.

screech said:
Screech - I thought we put that branding of Sarah's jumps to bed. Slutskaya, Cohen, and Kwan lost the gold to Sarah. Live with it.:cool:

Joe