Skaters who have disappeared from the face of the Earth | Golden Skate

Skaters who have disappeared from the face of the Earth

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
There are some skaters who you never hear about anymore
Whatever happened to Victor Kraatz, Ice Dancers Zeina Wang and Xiomin Cao(they were good!) anymore skaters?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Victor and his wife have an ice dance program in Canada, AFAIK

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Beata and Charles have retired following the 2002 season and have relocated to Albany, NY where they now coach in a rink in Saratoga County. They also happen to live in the same town as I do :)

The Harsells also retired in 2002, didn't they? I think Steve teamed up with somebody else at one point.

APM also decided to retire.

Yana

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Thanks Yana!

Why did APM decide to retire? If she would have remained eligible, I could see her being a contender for one of the spots on the Olympic team along with Michelle, Sasha, Alissa, Emily, Kimmie, and Bebe, especially under the new judging system. Same for Beata and Charles in ice dancing, now that I think about it....

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I was also wondering about Ann Patrice, lately. She was lovely on the ice.

Wasn't there talk of a comeback for Yulia Soldatova? Since, then, I haven't heard a thing about it.

AFAIK, Ann Patrice just lost interest in competing (sort of like Jenny Kirk this year). There were rumors that it was really her mother that was pushing her to continue competing the last couple of years. (Certainly AP often looked miserable out there in her last year of competition.)

Julia Soldatova competed for Belarus for a couple of years around 2000-2001. Then she went back to Russia. IIRC she got second place in Russian nationals in 2004, when Irina could not skate due to illness. I don't think Julia has competed since, however.

Deanna Stellato :love: went the career-ending hip injury route.

RussianBleux, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

Mathman :)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Naomi Nari Nam. The biggest 15-seconds of greatness & hope -- only to fall down as quickly as she rose. I actually preferred her to Sasha, way back then.

Deanna Stellato I adored, too. Sorry to hear what happened to her.

Last edited:

sk8addict

On the Ice
Naomi

Frau Muller said:
Naomi Nari Nam. The biggest 15-seconds of greatness & hope -- only to fall down as quickly as she rose. I actually preferred her to Sasha, way back then.

Deanna Stellato I adored, too. Sorry to hear what happened to her.
Naomi missed making it back to Nationals by one spot last year. I heard a rumor that she may be trying pairs.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Jamie Silverstein

What a thrill to see Jamie Silverstein back this year!! She has been gone since 2000 & she will probably make the Olympic Team!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
Naomi missed making it back to Nationals by one spot last year. I heard a rumor that she may be trying pairs.
Nam missed qualifying for 2004 Nationals in singles in November 2003. She and her new pair partner, Themi Leftheris, are scheduled to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals next week -- placing among the top 4 senior pair teams there will qualify them for 2006 Nationals in St. Louis.

diver chick

On the Ice
How about Lenka Kulovana and Kristina Czako, both of whom I loved to watch and neither of whom seemed to be able to get it together when it mattered apart from Kristina's silver medal at Europeans.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
diver chick said:
How about Lenka Kulovana and Kristina Czako

Kulovana joined Holiday on Ice and was touring Europe for quite a while. Don't know if she still is. Czako, I believe, quit skating because of an eating disorder. She really has fallen off the face of the earth.

Jill

On the Ice
That's too bad about Krisztina, I liked her, too. How about Olga Markova? She was a wonderful competior about 10 years ago. Any word about her?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
diver chick said:
How about Lenka Kulovana and Kristina Czako, both of whom I loved to watch and neither of whom seemed to be able to get it together when it mattered apart from Kristina's silver medal at Europeans.

I was a big fan of Kulovana's too! I'm glad that someone else out there also remembers her!

How about Brittney McConn? She went to a few GP's in the late 90s (she was rather the Alissa Czisny of the time, getting assignments due to others injuries, but she didn't quite get the results Alissa has been getting), then just kind of disappeared. And is Yukina Ota still competing? She was a delight to watch.

I'm sure I could compile a huge list of "Talent that Disappeared", but I haven't been up long enough today for my brain to come up with it.... I'll probably come up with one later.... :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
And now that I've had time to ruminate a little...

SONG GAO. He qualifies for the GPF in the 03-04 season, but hasn't been seen since the 4 Continents in '04. I also recall Zhenxhin Guo doing a similar, tho not as spectacular, disappearing act. And what about Yunfei Li? He made quite an impression at the 01 Worlds, but has barely been seen since.

Someone on this thread mentioned Weina Zhang and Xianming Cao as well, and I too was wondering what happened to them. Actually, when you think about it, China, despite not having been a prominent power in skating for really all that long, sure has a pretty long list of MIA's already. Makes you wonder what on earth is going on over there......:no: