Kierkgaard and Jeschke retire | Golden Skate

Kierkgaard and Jeschke retire

Anke G

Rinkside
As reported on German Yahoo Nov. 2, Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Norman Jeschke have decided to retire. Mikkeline began as a singles skater for Denmark and paired with Norman after the 2002 Olympics, skating for Germany.

http://de.sports.yahoo.com/051102/27/5v1v.html

To summarize:

Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Norman Jeschke have ended their skating careers
because of her health problems. In October 2002 she had an on-ice accident,
suffering craniocerebral trauma. She has endured headaches ever since.

They placed 3rd in the 2004 German national championships, but have not been
able to compete since, due to Mikkeline's struggles with illness and injury.

They were training in Canada this summer, with the intention of finally
competing internationally for Germany. However, due to her health, they are
not well prepared, and have decided to end their careers.

The head of the German federation was surprised by the announcement and
stated that he was not pleased that they gave up "without a fight."

Mikkeline (21) has really struggled with both illness and injury. I think
she has, in fact, put up a very good fight, and I can see why she might feel
enough is enough. Although it isn't clear from the article, I doubt Norman
will look for another partner; he is 26.

Mikkeline hasn't updated her journal at this fan site, but her entries do
talk about her struggles and show a real desire to skate. Sadly, it is not
to be.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/icegallery/mikkeline.htm

I wish them well. They were a striking couple (sorry I never had a chance to see them skate).

http://www.eislauf-union.de/MikkelineKierkgaard.NormanJeschke.html

Anke G.

MissJanet

Spectator
The head of the German federation was surprised by the announcement and
stated that he was not pleased that they gave up "without a fight."

That makes me furious, what a mean comment. I'm sure she fighted against the headaches and both did their very best. She got injured on the ice, there is no need to say something so unsensitive.

diver chick

On the Ice
What a shame, I never got to see them skate as a pair, but I have seen Mikkeline skating live and she is an absolute pleasure to watch, think Carolina Kostner without the 'coltishness'. I was really looking forward to watching her career develop.

It's a shame that she has to give up, I hate to see any skater forced to give up at such an early stage through illness/injury. Must be even harder for her to have to walk away from it without achieving all that she could have.

jesslily

Final Flight
I remember we found her webpage a few years ago. From all the info we got, felt she was very promising. Somehow she switched to pair skating. And just found out she is suffering injury and retired. Pair skating is very dangeous. You are lucky if you finish the pair skatng career without a major injury in your body.

Anke G

Rinkside
MissJanet said:
That makes me furious, what a mean comment. I'm sure she fighted against the headaches and both did their very best. She got injured on the ice, there is no need to say something so unsensitive.

Yes, I quite agree. Unfortunately, it is not the first nasty comment Reinhard Mirmseker (German federation president) has made about a skater, and it's probably not the last. I don't know how the German system works, but the federation seems to be more directly involved in training than the US federation is, and I guess Mirmseker feels entitled to demand results. I hope someone reminds him that he is talking about kids and young adults, not personal property.

If someone can explain how the German system works (e.g., coaches are paid by the federation, I think, and are now paid based on results, if I'm not mistaken), I'd be most grateful for the information.

Someone on Skatefans just posted that Mikkeline has chronic fatigue syndrome, and that Mikkeline and Norman are a couple off-ice. I do wish them well!

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SkateFans/message/154689

Anke G

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This is a real shame. I saw Mikkeline skate as a singles skater at the 2001 Worlds, and I, as well as a great deal of the audience, was dazzled by her talent and personality there. I thought she was headed for the top if she could get her jumps consistent enough. I was a little taken aback by her decision to go to Germany and skate pairs, but I understood it -- she had performed so well in Vancouver, yet the Danish Olympic federation (which as we all know is just SUCH the powerhouse in winter sports) deemed her not worthy to go to SLC, so it is understandable that she would want to go somewhere where she was more appreciated. I was hoping that her & Jeschke would be succesful. This is the first I'd heard about the head injury. I guess this is just another sad entry in the "Terrifically Promising Skaters Who Never Made It" file......