Any News from the Kwan Camp | Golden Skate

Any News from the Kwan Camp

I'm looking for news - not opinions.

1. She hasn't skated internationally since March - not even the cheesefest.

2 Apparently, from reports of seeing her practice that she was taking it seriously and working on 3x3s.

3. She apparently had TT get to her choreo to music that suits her best.

4. However, just before Campbells, we heard of her recurring back problem.

5. Then came the cancellation of COC

6. It seems from the above that we will not see her skate competitively until US Nationals (Please ignore the popularity contest - MK will not do anything special in that contest. She doesn't have to.)

My questions:

a. Is she doing any kind of practicing now?

b. The infamous loop jump causes back problems. Will she put this back into her routine?

c. Any progress with her spins?

d. Will crossovers dominate the choreo in between elements?

e.. Will she compete at US Nats?

f. Will she retire at US Nats if she does show up?

g. If she qualifies, will she go to Torino for a final chance to be judged by the international community?

I know the above questions will bring out all the antiKwans to speculate unfavorably. Not necessary. Your speculations are all too well known. I would like to hear from some independent thinkers particularly with some facts. I am seeking news about her condition healthwise and skatewise.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joe, as of about a week or so ago, there were some reports that although she was back on the ice, things were progressing slower than originally anticipated.
There have been no details of what she's been doing to this point.

orchid

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
Joe, as of about a week or so ago, there were some reports that although she was back on the ice, things were progressing slower than originally anticipated.
There have been no details of what she's been doing to this point.

Since she has no competitions until the Nationals, except that silly Marshalll's thing, could she be steadily pacing herself for the championships?

Kathy

On the Ice
Michelle's hip injury is really serious - while she was cleared to return to the ice around the time of COC, as of the end of last week she was still not allowed to jump or spin. Word is she is improving slowly more slowly than the original doctor thought. I'll be very surprised if she is at Marshall's given the reports that have been on MKF. I am hoping she will be recovered enough to train for Nationals. Her luck on this really sucks and I am very sad for her. All indications are that all summer long she went all out training and has great new programs, now she has been sidelined big time, at the worst of times.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
The reports from MKF also state that she is in good spirits, and, is doing every thing she can to hasten her recovery. It is also reported that she is seeing another physician, but I don't know if this is instead of Dr. Yu, in addition to Dr. Yu, or only as an interim while Dr. Yu was with the American team in China.

This is truly a sad story for Michelle and her fans. She must have been having trouble with her hip for several years now and that is why the absence of 3x3s and the loop jump entirely. Chronic hip problems are painful.

Nice to hear she is in good spirits.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
You are exactly right Joe ... that is why the unending criticism of her the past few years has been very hard for some of us to swallow.
I have said all along that she knows her body and what it is capable of better than anyone else ... which is why I believe she cut down her competing. There was no way she would have ever made it this far had she not done that.

I just hope and pray she will be well enough to compete at Nationals and the Olympics, and end her glorious career on a high note.

kyla2

Final Flight
I Know You...

I know you don't want opinions Joe but here is one anyway. I think it is over for Michelle as far as medalling at the Olympics goes, and frankly, I am worried about Nationals. There is something seriously wrong if she isn't jumping yet, and with Irina, Sasha, Alissa and Joannie doing well, that is a major problem. It ain't over till it's over, but it isn't looking good.

kyla2 said:
I know you don't want opinions Joe but here is one anyway. I think it is over for Michelle as far as medalling at the Olympics goes, and frankly, I am worried about Nationals. There is something seriously wrong if she isn't jumping yet, and with Irina, Sasha, Alissa and Joannie doing well, that is a major problem. It ain't over till it's over, but it isn't looking good.
You're not really opining, Kyla. You are understanding and viewing the future realistically. I have to agree with your views and hope for the views of nymkfan51

Joe.

R.D.

Record Breaker
frankly, I am worried about Nationals. There is something seriously wrong if she isn't jumping yet, and with Irina, Sasha, Alissa and Joannie doing well, that is a major problem. It ain't over till it's over, but it isn't looking good.

I don't know...I wouldn't be so worried if I were you. But it's certainly not a great spot to be in. Let's see how she does at the Marshall's Cup, if she bothers to show up there. (Now excuse me as I insert my opinion as well) Even though it's a made-for-TV event, I think at this point ANY performance that Kwan can do now in front of an audience should boost her morale. JMO.

Now, this is not so much news as it is just a general article on the state of things in the skating world right now, and Kwan is mentioned:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/09/sports/SKATE.php

Kwan news has run dry so far. And to think we don't even know what music she's using yet...(or at least I don't)

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
During today's COC broadcast, one of the commentators mentioned that Irina and Michelle have both chosen the same music, Totentanz by Liszt.

R.D.

Record Breaker
heyang said:
During today's COC broadcast, one of the commentators mentioned that Irina and Michelle have both chosen the same music, Totentanz by Liszt.

Ah. I missed that part. I thought that Irina changed her music though?

heyang

Record Breaker
Not sure if Irina has changed music since COC.

They did mention that Lambiel and Plushenko had chosen the same piece of music (darn can't remember - it was a movie soundtrack) and that Plushy decided to change his choice since Lambiel had announced 1st.

When one thinks about competitions, and she hasn't practiced since way before
Cambells, it's kind of tough to think about her condition for the Nationals. I know there are nonfans wanting her to show up at Nats with a bum hip and lose. They will get off on that. But for figure skating fans, we know its not going to be easy.

Any further news on Kwan will be much appreciated.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joe, at this point, no news is good news.

I'll try to answer some of your questions, but all 'hersay' (I heard from MS. I don't care some had been saying she was fake injury, she was seen on ice skating the week she anounced her injury. I know what's the truth and you don't have to believe me.)

1. She hasn't skated internationally since March - not even the cheesefest.
This is not by her choice, rather circumstance since she is injured. And I don't hold my breath for her in Marshalls. However I'll hold my breath for her at US Nationals.

2 Apparently, from reports of seeing her practice that she was taking it seriously and working on 3x3s.
That was all true early in the season from different sources. Though I have my own source, but I sometimes cross reference/check them. As far as MS goes, MK has been working on 3x3s shortly after she switched to RA. First restor the 3t/3t, the very next season (last year after COI tour) has been working on diff 3/3s. But she changed the schem in which she practice them. Since shortly (couple of weeks) before 2004 worlds the severe pain caused by heavy 3t/3t practicing prevented her practice any triples, thus she has to pull out 3t/3t from the program.

3. She apparently had TT get to her choreo to music that suits her best.
TT did both of her program, and sounds like it was her(MK) insisted that TT does the both of them (don't know the musics)....And original plan according to RA was to have TT come back twice late in the season to tweak the programs....But now with this injury, not sure when this will fit in her schedule.

4. However, just before Campbells, we heard of her recurring back problem.
It was actually the hip or low back pain. Started two or three weeks before Campbells. Before she went up to Lake Arrowhead trainning and/or fine tunning for Campbells....The pain got worse by the Monday of Campbells and she went to see Dr. Yu.....the rest was in press.

5. Then came the cancellation of COC
It should be expected with her USFSA's injury anouncement. Given Dr. Yu "TWO weeks complete off ice. Four weeks ease back to full scheduled trainning sessions"....by the time COC, she's not even back to full scheduled sessions.

6. It seems from the above that we will not see her skate competitively until US Nationals (Please ignore the popularity contest - MK will not do anything special in that contest. She doesn't have to.)
Yeah. You can say that again.....given what I heard she might not even back to full scheduled sessions by the time Marshall's around.

My questions:

a. Is she doing any kind of practicing now?
Yes. Last I heard(couple of days ago) She is working on programs. Doing some kind 'run throughs' without jump, spin, spiral, etc. (beats me, program run throughs without jumps/spins/spirals? maybe try to get into the mood of the program and try to memorize the pattern of programs?).

b. The infamous loop jump causes back problems. Will she put this back into her routine?
Hard to say at this point. She is not allowed any jumps at this point....Heard she did have a lutz/loop combo before injury. And the loop was back solid early on before the injury...... heard the injury was trigged by several reasons, speculated by Kwan and RA, not just practice loop and 3/3......Last season, RA had changed her loop entry to reduce the risk and they had deviced a new schem to training 3/3s to prevent 'over do' caused pain like the one happened before 2004 worlds.

c. Any progress with her spins?
The last heard before the injury. Her spin faster(compared to early on season when she can't get the number of spins into the spin to get the position count because of slow. But improved late), the leg more stretched in camal, new spiral position and the free leg higher. etc. .....like I said this was all before injury.

d. Will crossovers dominate the choreo in between elements?
MS originally watched the program run through before injury. Diddn't like it, but said not sure whose doing, TT or MK.....This brought back to RA's plan to bring back TT twiec.....But when specifically asked if there were MFIs, the answer was "Yes, plenty of them. But now everyone even junior skater has plenty of them. But it does not mean the program/choreograph is necessary beautyful!"....However the same source loves Jeff's programs "Very beautyful choregraphed. Even better than last year's".

e.. Will she compete at US Nats?
Heard if she can go back to full scheduled trainning sessions FOUR weeks before Nationals AND mentally ready, she WILL.....though RA doubt if it's enough time. But Kwan is Kwan. No one can persuade her except her doctors.......She is tougher than some would thought.

f. Will she retire at US Nats if she does show up?
Unless she is reinjured herself during Nationals.

g. If she qualifies, will she go to Torino for a final chance to be judged by the international community?
I guess if she qualifies she'll go.....From all I heard and years observation she is not the type shy away from the chanlange or afraid of lost...that's one of the majore reason I'm a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mzeng and thank you for all the informatiion you could provide. I feel like I am in a hospital pacing the floor awaiting the news of the surgeon. So by December 15, we will know if she is back practicing for Nationals which will be in January 12That won't be much practice but I think if all goes well she could be on the podium at Nats and then on to Torino. Let's hope.

Joe

Kathy

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the complete update Mzheng. Kwan fans are sooo rooting for her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
So by December 15, we will know if she is back practicing for Nationals which will be in January 12That won't be much practice but I think if all goes well she could be on the podium at Nats and then on to Torino. Let's hope.

Joe
Yes, 4 weeks is all she need to get her jumps back and consistant (what about spins? Come the next question, sorry no answer. I asked question myself. Though I guess she may be allowed to practice some spins before that. Since spins put less pressure on body than jumps). The main thing for competetion is mentally ready.

No (official) news is good news (at least to Kwan fans) at this point.

flowjo35

On the Ice
mzheng said:
MS originally watched the program run through before injury. Diddn't like it, but said not sure whose doing, TT or MK.....This brought back to RA's plan to bring back TT twiec.....But when specifically asked if there were MFIs, the answer was "Yes, plenty of them. But now everyone even junior skater has plenty of them. But it does not mean the program/choreograph is necessary beautyful!"

Thanks for the undate Mzheng. Good to know that even if your source did not like the program that it had plenty of MITFs. It's all about the points now, unfortunately we might not get beautiful programs like we are use too. I hope Michelle gets well soon.