1994 Olympics - Men | Golden Skate

1994 Olympics - Men

Who should have won the 1994 Olympic Gold medal?

• Alexei Urmanov

Votes: 37 45.7%
  • Elvis Stojko

Votes: 37 45.7%
  • Philippe Candeloro

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
The controversial ladies event at the 1994 Olympics usually receives most of the attention, but I thought a look back at/discussion of the men's event might yield interesting results. As everyone probably knows, the three favorites (Browning, Petrenko, and Boitano) all made major mistakes in the SP and were 12th, 9th, and 8th respectively heading into the LP. Three relative newcomers (Urmanov, Stojko, and Candeloro) battled it out in the final for the medals. The lyrical Russian, Urmanov, scored a somewhat controversial (in some circles) victory over the more athletic Stojko. Who do you believe should have won the 1994 Olympic Gold medal in the men's division? Why?

Note: I did not include Browning, Petrenko, or Boitano as options because they were basically out of gold medal contention after the SP. I included an other option if anyone would like to frame an argument for any of these skaters.

Germanice

On the Ice
Urmanov - without any doubt! :rock:

I don't get why this seems so contoversial. The "Elvis-should've-won-thing" is just a popular fairytale by some endless whining Northamericans (most of them patriotic Canadians). It wasn't even close, there were six votes for Urmanov, two for Petrenko and only one? (if at all?) for Stojko. Not even the Canadian judge thought Stojko should've won. :p

Anke

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I actually preferred Stojko on this night. Urmanov had the classical line, but he always left me cold....and this performance was no real exception. It was perhaps one of his best, but I still wasn't won over. Good...but nothing special. That is completely my opinion, however. And that has more to do with stylistic preferences than any so called "North American uber patriotism". I generally prefer the Russian style, but for some reason I never got the big "to do" about Urmanov. Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko.....now that I can see. As for Elvis....I really wasn't a fan of his skating much after this year. I liked him, but his programs went down hill in my opinion and became much less interesting.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I always thought Elvis got a raw deal from the judges throughout his career, and I never got Urmanov. So my vote goes with Stojko.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think Boitanos chances at the 94 Olympics were highly overrated by the U.S media. He had already lost both his events that year, Skate America to Petrenko, U.S nationals to Scott Davis, despite skating very well. He had only 6 triples in his long program if I am not mistaken(that is the most I saw him attempt all year in the long program)and his artistry is bland compared to Browning, Petrenko, and Urmanov for example. Even if he had skated well he would have only won the bronze over Candelero, and if everybody had skated well he would have only been a 5th or 6th place IMO, much to the shock of the U.S media who seemed to believe he was a total lock for gold somehow. I respect him and what he has done as a skater, but I honestly dont see how his programs that year would stand him above the other contenders even if he skated well. Also how he dominates the pros, while incredable, is irrelevant to how he would stack up in this field. Petrenko was never in top shape as a pro, as most former amateurs arent, and when Browning came into his own as a pro in 96 he started regularly beating Boitano. Just my two cents.

Anyway as for the event itself I believe Urmanov deserved it. Stojko did a triple axel-triple toe, but Urmanov had 8 clean triples to Stojkos 7, so they were similar technicaly. Artisticaly Urmanov was in a different league than Stojko. The judges got it bang-on.

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Urmanov. :) He's the one at the Oly's who caught my attention, first. And got me to love skating, instead of being a passive fan.

Kasey

Medalist
Urmanov always kind of left me a little off and shaking my head...but I do think his OGM was well-deserved and without controversy.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I have always wondered if the Urmanov-Stojko and Kerrigan-Biaul controversies were legitimate controversies or North American media created ones. Even Scott Hamilton, an American and good friend at the time of Nancy's, said that the womens decision was very close and could have gone either way, but was a justifiable and fair one, which makes me wonder about the realism of that "controversy". It would be interesting to have more of a perspective what the rest of the World thought of those decisions.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
I thought Stojko should've won just b/c his style was much more innovative, had better choreography, and his style was appealing to me. Elvis also had more difficult jumps and I liked his footwork better.

I'm not Canadian and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm from North America, I just liked seeing something different out there.

Evdokia

On the Ice
I voted for the one who won: Alexej Urmanov! :love:
He had such an adorable elegant style! :clap:

new_europe2006 said:
Elvis also had more difficult jumps and I liked his footwork better.
Acutally it was Urmanov who had more jumps:
Stojko: 3 Lutz, 1 A, 3 A-3Toe, 3 Loop, 3 Axel, 3 Flip, 3 Sal = 7 triples
Urmanov: 3 Axel, 3 Toe, 3 Lutz, 3 A-2Toe, 3 Loop, 3 Flip (turnout), 3 Sal-Euler (not sure about the English term for that?)-3Toe = 8 triples (one of them with turnout)

About Candeloro: I loooooved his LP, but AFAIK he was only 5th after the SP, so under the old 6.0-system there was no more chance for him to win this competition out of own forces. :no:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I totally agree with the judges in both disciplines. It was though very close between the ladies, but between Urmanov and Stojko it was not close at all, LOL. Only one judge put Stojko first and six judges were for Urmanov, so there is no question of a controversial result that could have gone either way.

I have always felt very sorry for Petrenko, because he had such bad luck before his short programme. A young skater from Esthonia spoiled Petrenko´s chances, as the screws from his skates scattered around the ice and Petrenko had to wait for them to be gathered. That definetely could give one a very insecure feeling about the ice... As far as I remember Petrenko´s freeskate was great, and I believe he could have won the Olympics without that incident before the short programme.

Last edited: