Ladies SP from TV - COC | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP from TV - COC

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
ITA. And let's hope Michelle's body language is exceptionally fluent at Nats, Olys, and Worlds--and also includes numbers.:)

Rgirl

Well we know she has 6.0 down:biggrin: .....how high can she go?:p

Piel said:
Well we know she has 6.0 down:biggrin: .....how high can she go?:p
Piel, you never fail to get a :rofl: out of me! Hey. let's hope Michelle can go up to about 200 TSS!

Rgirl

gezando

Final Flight
rgirl said:
All this started when a few people--you can find their posts--stated their less than favorable opinion about Mao Asada and/or her "Carmen" SP, which is their right according to the GS rules and regs. ……

My original #18

Quoting Shine

"Mao has unbelievable ease in everything she does. But her presentation is just "too light" for my taste and I didn't really like the cutesey things she's doing in her program. An amazing skater nevertheless. "

My reply to Shine
gezando said:
I like her light presentation, it seems like she can almost take flight, and there is nothing to weigh her down. I don't mind the cutesey, things she is doing. I think Mao has amazing musicality for her age. I think she interprets Carmen well. I agree with one of the moderators here who advocated that skaters should perform the essence of the opera, and not try to tell the story of the opera in four mins. Carmen is an archetye of a seductress. Kat Witt seduces with her winks and wiggles that oozes with sexual powers. Kat Witt's Carmen seduces and gets her way with big time flirt. I think Mao seduces and gets her way with cute wink, wiggles that oozes with wit, like e.g. Despina from Cosi fan tutte. I believe Despina was just a teenager like Mao. IMO 15 y/o Mao's Carmen is more interesting, compare to e.g the boring interpretation from a 17 y/oCohen.

I don't think 15 year old Mao is overdosing us on her cuteness, since she looks younger than 15, IMO she can still get away with it. Actually Irina's LP from 96 with those light blue feather on her costume was so sweet that I was afraid someone may go into a diabetic coma just by watching it. And a 16 year old Irina who weighed at least 20 lbs more than Mao was pushing it for playing the cute and sweetness.

It is quite a feat for Mao to beat a world champion on her first senior event. I hope she learns to control her nerves and places on top at worlds 07, in Japan

This is a thread to talk about COC sp. Some people talked about they are not as impress with Irina, some do, some people talked about they are not totally impressed with Mao, some are impressed. That is how discussion goes. I was staying on topic according to the regs of GS, so why did you start it. In what way was I bashing you in #18.

Rgirl said:
Am I forever to be the lone GSer who gets called out by our Resident Cartman and #1 Rgirl Basher, the Great Gezando? .......

I was not calling you out, so what is the deal about “forever the lone Gser who gets called out” yadda yadda yawn yawn BS BS pile on the emoticons.

When people disagree with you about Irina, you did not launch an attack, so why the attack because I disagree with Shine.

Including a smiley face and being histrionic is not mutually exclusive IMO. In fact IMO, for some poster (cough cough excuse me) the higher the histrionic index goes (oh just watch the rate of increase of all those emoticons, just watch all the excessive display of emotions, yada yada BS BS) , the more grand a time s/he is experiencing, what a “fine fettle” indeed. Evidently calling another poster a name then claiming that to be a joke must floats the boat.

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Carmen for men is another tiresome book to read. Escamillio was an egotist and one never feels he is truly in love with Carmen so her murder is insignifant in his life as he enters the bull ring where he delights the crowd. So many boys who use the Toreador confuse it with a warrior. It's just a star on stage.

I'd like to see a man skate the Don Jose part. - Not easy for them to show the jealousy, the madness, the need to kill, and the heartbreak.

I have never read the book Carmen. Generally speaking it is tough to modify a story to an opera. That is where a good librettist comes in, e.g. Boito did a fine job of condensing Shakespeare’s Otello for Verdi. Da Ponte did a great job in adapting Beaumarchais’ Marriage of Figaro for the opera. IMO it is even more difficult to skate to an opera that is so well known. Lori did a different approach by using the Card trio from Act 3 for Michelle’s program by making a point it was about the Fate of Carmen.

I agree most male skaters try to use Escamillio’s bullfight music, and the essence of Don Jose is tough to capture for a skating program

Last edited:
Gez,
We both stated our cases. I feel mine is complete as is and so will move on.:cool: :rock: :) :clap: :love: :p :rofl: :thumbsup: ;) :agree: :biggrin: :boohoo::party2: :banging: :party:

Rgirl