Mens LP from TV | Golden Skate

Mens LP from TV

I liked Jahnke's program a lot, after the first minute or so. I like his carriage and "presence."

But I wonder how his cowboy routine is playing outside the United States. Not sure Copeland is a good choice for international competition.

MM

AmericanPie

Spectator
I'm new here, as you can see. :) But I'm a skatefan from waaaay back. Anyway, I loved Stephane Lambiel's LP. I just think he is a superb overall skater, and his spins are unbelievable. What is it with the Swiss and great spins? ;) Something in the water?

Sandhu, I don't know, I just never cared for him. I don't exactly know why, he just always left me cold. Congrats to him and Canada for his win, though.

MissCleo

On the Ice
I disagree about Sandhu. His LP this year is interesting this year. I like it when he emphasizes those ticks and tocks during his program.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Unfortunately didn't see Sandhu.

Loved Lambiel. I love the way that boy carries himself and the way he moves.

Janke - didn't really care for Rodeo. I really like Janke and hope he'll somehow get the last spot on the Oly team, but I didn't like the cowboy thing on him. Still, love the way he moves too. Hope he has the skates of his life at Nats and will be in Torino.

layman

On the Ice
Griazev: What was up with that costume? :rofl: It looked like his upper body was squeezed into one leg of a woman's black stockings.

What was up with that muzak? :scratch: That muzak was boring when Elena Sokolova used it a few seasons ago. It's ten time more boring now. What was Tarasova thinking?

The costume disaster overshadowed the skating and the skating looks clunky.

Sandhu:Brilliant. Brilliant choreography, Brilliant jumping, Brilliant (winning) attitude.

Jankhe: Strange mistakes. Why does his concentration/technique lapse so much in competition?

Lambiel: Wins the other:scratch: What Were They Thinking Award for worst costume.

What do three-toned zebra stripes have to do with the Four Seasons (or anything)? This costume ranks right along side Ilya Kulik's 98 Giraffe costume. Maybe Lambiel is trying to channel Kulik.

Lambiel needs to get his 3-axel back but the other jumps looked good.

EricAba

Rinkside
Was wondering myself what zebra stripes have to do with Vivaldi. Lambiel is such an expressive skater, but he sure has interesting costume choices. Does anyone recall the jumpsuit with the bullseye on it that he used for his Truman Show program?

Copeland's music is as much appreciated as Lizst, Bartok, Tschaikowsky, or any other composers who use native folk music in a symphonic mode.

Ryan with few cowboy touches (praise to be) did a nice job but it needs cleaning up.

Lambiel is a great performing skater but that program appears to be a work in progress. The whole thing looked sluggish which is not his style. Well, he has time.

Sandhu's strategy is, apparently, to blow the SP, and hit the LP. It's working. He did a nice job with that kookie music.

Griazev, turns out to have lyrical qualities and they work better than that Cossack Warrior turned Toreador. with Canada, not enought points to get him in the GPF.

Li - Poor guy, he should have won.

Joe

MissCleo

On the Ice
Speaking of Copeland's music, I agree that his music is respectable, but unfortunately, some of his music has been stuck on lots of symphony orchestra's Pop concerts. I think that's why some people dont see it as "good" music.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I was concerned if Ryan and Li both got higher SS score against Lambiel and the Rusian skater.....Their (Ryan, Li) edge quality is far superior to the later two. Just watching them stroking, the former two were using the lean of body to steer their way through the ice.

Kasey

Medalist
I hadn't seen Lambiel's skate yet, and it surprised me, it seemed a bit disjointed. He is a strong enough, and complete enough, skater that he pulls it together, but it didn't grab me as much as his World's program did. And another surprise, he doesn't really have very low sit-spin positions. For as good a spinner he is, that kind of surprised me.

Emanuel, I think the program is genius, because it presents HIM so well, and he presents it so well. Nice intricacies and unique moves, and he just moved up in my book as someone who could truly challenge for OGM (with consistancy, of course).

Jahnke, he's a great skater, but I didn't like the program. Count me as one who thinks the music is a bit cheesy, and I just think Ryan is better than it. Not that he can't get out of his normal style, but I just wasn't caught up by him like I was last year. Think he really needs to work on the jumps still to challenge at Nats.

Li....wow, that was an implosion worthy of Bobek or Nikodinov at their worst. No clue what happened there, poor guy. It's a shame, after such an interesting change in the short program.

Griazev, yes, the costume is annoying. Maybe trim the crap on the pants and take off the dragon/gargoyle/whatever things on the top and it would be better. That said, I think the program can be great for him, and I was impressed with how it showcased his lyrical quality and fluid upper body movements more. I think future programs should center more on that as well. It seems to suit him more than last year's program. I think he's also matured a lot, in that the 2 jump errors early didn't make him self-destruct like such errors could do before. Still up there with Eman for my fave program of all these.

Last edited:
Aaron Copeland is a well respected composer throughout the musical world. It's not necessary that every like his music. Many people find Tschaikowsky as feminine. Well, that's the tastes of humans.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Aaron Copeland is a well respected composer throughout the musical world. It's not necessary that every like his music. Many people find Tschaikowsky as feminine. Well, that's the tastes of humans.

Joe

I think this is the third time you've posted defending Copeland's music! ;) As you say here, that's the tastes of humans. A few people posted that they don't like his program, or wonder how his music will be received in non-U.S. (or even North American) venues. We have the right to those opinions. No one said anything about Copeland not being well-respected. I called the music/program "Cheesy" and that's exactly how I feel about it. I think Irina is overmarked too, and Buttle overrated. Shoot me! :)

luvsasha

Final Flight
dlkksk8fan said:
Griazev-bad costume- why oh why would anyone wear such a thing?:scratch:

it was awful. I loved it when Terry said yeah, but he thinks he looks really cool. :laugh:

It seems the european men want costumes. Remember Joubert's sails? and Lambiel's strange bulky looking attire at Worlds? We know Plush will be decked out in mucho sequins and bugel beads.

Of course, there is always Johnny's Joan Crawford's off the shoulder costumes.

Joe

AmericanPie

Spectator
Mathman said:
Hi, hi, American Pie! Welcome to the forum!

Mathman :)

Thanks, Mathman. :)

I do acknowledge that Emanuel definitely earned his win. His LP was superb. But sometimes some skaters just don't "do" it for me, no matter how good they are. I can think of Elvis Stojko as another who never pushed my buttons, and he had some pretty brilliant programs. And no, it's nothing personal against Canadians at all, I swear! :p