Ryan Jahnke = Boitano clone | Golden Skate

Ryan Jahnke = Boitano clone

Arianne

On the Ice
Is it just me or does Ryan Jahnke's new freeskate look like Boitano's Lillehammer free?

-skating to similiar Copeland music
-the tano triple lutz!
-the crossed arms out of the double axel!
-spread eagles
-similiar costume
-arms movements

Don't get me wrong, I love Ryan and the program. It just seems like he is really tryinf to emulate Boitano. Does anyone know if he is a big Boitano fan?

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of that, but you might be on to something. To me, Brian and Ryan also have similar carriage and posture (open chest, etc.)

As I remarked on the Cup of China thread, I am not sure this cowboy music is a good choice for an American Olympic hopeful. The international judges might not buy it.

Mathman

Aaron Copeland is a remarkable American composer. He has a right to use western folk music in his symphonies as does Bartok with Hungarian folk tunes, or Tschaikowsky's Russian folk music. It's plain old music appreciation 101. I can not see his music being tossed aside as cowboy music.

DeMille's ballet I believe came after the music was composed.

Joe

Well, of course Copeland can write whatever he wants. And Ryan Jahnke can costume himself like a buckaroo and sashay around with his thumbs in his belt. No one can say he didn't capture the character of the music.

MM :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
As I remarked on the Cup of China thread, I am not sure this cowboy music is a good choice for an American Olympic hopeful. The international judges might not buy it.

Mathman

I give a thumbs down to the Rodeo thing :) I saw an on-line video of that program from the pre-season (last summer, can't remember which comp) and thought "bleh" on first viewing. While it's better now than it was, I'm still not crazy about it. I liked his SP MUCH better.

Just another 2 cents
DG

soogar

Record Breaker
I wish Ryan's jumps were clones of Brian Boitano's. His programs are so impressive this year (esp the short). He looks like a top level skater (yes even compared to Jeff and Eman). I wish he could land those jumps.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
soogar said:
I wish Ryan's jumps were clones of Brian Boitano's.

you said it all....

I am not a big fan of his skating, but I admire him as a person, and his programs are always so nice... thanks to a technical malfunction, I missed CoC... so I have yet to see his programs...

jesslily

Final Flight
I did not get the chance to see Ryan Jhanke's program this year. But I know he is the best skater who has very right jumping technique, true lutz, and great edges. He is more artistic than Brian Boitano. Unfortunately, skaters who have great jumping height and edges are much harder to land them all the time. No wonder some coaches rather play safe to let their pupils land twisty small jumps than correct them to risk falling on the jumps.

soogar

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
I did not get the chance to see Ryan Jhanke's program this year. But I know he is the best skater who has very right jumping technique, true lutz, and great edges. He is more artistic than Brian Boitano. Unfortunately, skaters who have great jumping height and edges are much harder to land them all the time. No wonder some coaches rather play safe to let their pupils land twisty small jumps than correct them to risk falling on the jumps.

Ryan has a lot of issues on his jumps. Dr. Frog (and I assume he uses the same handle on FSU as he does here) noted that Ryan has very precise technique on his jumps and if something doesn't go right, the jumps fail (I'm paraphrasing here). My opinion is that a lot of times Ryan doesn't complete the rotations before checking out of the jumps and falls down. The name of the game is landing the jumps. Ideally you want them to be on the correct edge, but many skaters don't land on a deep edge. I think it's a game of percentages to not have as deep an angle so that way the blade can catch something on the way down. I don't think that coaches are wrong to teach a high percentage way of landing jumps. He's not getting any credit if he falls down on the jumps.

Ryan is a great skater. I wasn't that impressed with him last year but I think that amongst all the half baked work in progress programs I have been seeing this year, his programs stand out to me as the most professional looking, well thought out programs. Though I am more enamored of his SP than his LP, but both are good. I think the LP suffers from his inability to land the jumps.

jesslily

Final Flight
The reason of not landing jumps might be still early of the season. Acturally none of top US men land more than 4 solid triples plus axel and quads so far. So the fans and judges prefre flutz landed nicely or true lutz shaky landing or fall?

Kasey

Medalist
jesslily said:
The reason of not landing jumps might be still early of the season. Acturally none of top US men land more than 4 solid triples plus axel and quads so far. So the fans and judges prefre flutz landed nicely or true lutz shaky landing or fall?

Didn't Weiss have a more substantial program than this at the cheesefest? And I don't recall Evan's jump content in the LP at Skate America, but I think it was more than this as well.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I'll admit that I was intrigued to see the title of this thread! I know that Ryan claims Boitano as an influence, I never think of Boitano when I watch Ryan skate. I didn't even catch the Copeland reference - I forgot that Brian did that back in '94, is that correct?

I've watched Ryan's skating for years and what has impressed me is not only his dedication to the sport but to the *craft* of skating. Even before the CoP system was implemented he was doing many things in spins and footwork and interpretation that I wished to see in more of men's skating. And he never does the same program twice - that is, he doesn't take a different piece of music and skate basically the 'same old program' to it as so many skaters are in the habit of doing. He actually *interprets* what he's doing. So far, this Copeland program is one of my faves, right up there with the Brazilan medley program he did a couple of seasons ago. I'd love to see this program skated clean. :love:

One thing I do hope Ryan has in common with Brian B - making it onto the Olympic team and skating his best. :rock:

dr.frog

On the Ice
My hope for Ryan is that someday he'll be famous enough that people will stop misspelling his name. :p And mispronouncing it, too. I even once heard him introduced at a competition as "Ralph Yankee"! :laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I mistaken but Ryan didn't put the tano lutz in his COC program, right?? I like his skating alot and I think he is very talented. Last year when I went to Skate Canada I saw him in the airport and chatted with him. He was very nice and receptive. He did a wonderful job at that competition and I told him that I came flying out of my seat waving my US flag. I thought he was going to move away from me wondering if he was talking to a nut case but he was so gracious about it and thanked me for cheering him on.

Dee

Yes, I think he did try a Tano Lutz as his first element, but fell and only got credit for a double. I think it was intended to be the start of a combination (?) -- he did a triple Lutz combo later in the program and got full credit, which might have been improvised after the fall on the first attempt.

MM

S

SkateFan4Life

Although I like Ryan Jahnke's skating, he doesn't come close to Brian Boitano, as far as I'm concerned. Boitano was usually a model of consistency with his jumps, and Jahnke is still trying to gain consistency with his triple axel. Jahnke's programs are well choreographed and very interesting, but there's usually too many technical errors to make him a serious medal contender.

I would be very pleased to see Jahnke qualify for the US Olympic team, but I just don't see how that can happen, unless there's a lot of poor performances at Nationals.