Thread: Very Quick Question

Custom Title

Very Quick Question

I know I am probably so late on this one but what happened to the name "Trophee Lalique"?

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    God know, that still puzzles me to this day

Trophee Lalique is much better then Grand Prix Paris as they refer to it on TV

Custom Title
    I assume the sponsor, Lalique, decided to spend their ad. $$ elsewhere. Same goes to SOI - at one point it was Smuckers SOI, now it's something else.

Yana

Custom Title
    Lalique is no longer the sponsor, Eric Bombard Cachemire is now the official sponsor. Same type of thing as if they changed Mastercard Skate Canada to Visa Skate Canada.

Edit: Haha looks like someone answered the same time as me.

On the Ice
    Yana -
    Where did you hear that Stars on Ice was sponsored by someone else. Smuckers still is their main sponsor, and all of their marketing collateral for this year still says Smuckers.

When it was Lalique, they had this nice trophy for it too. And it sounded better than Bompard.

Custom Title
    That's true about the beautiful Lalique crystal trophies - and Alexei always brags that they're each worth $3,000! LOL...(hey - I'd bid on one if it pops up on eBay!)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexei'sgirl
    Yana -
    Where did you hear that Stars on Ice was sponsored by someone else. Smuckers still is their main sponsor, and all of their marketing collateral for this year still says Smuckers.

Ok, I made a mistake. Smuckers is the current sponsor. But until a few years ago, somebody else was the main sponsor - I can't recall who it was though! I will have to dig through my old ticket stubs, if I can find them

I found this on Smuckers website:

"Stars on Ice, America's premier figure skating production, has partnered with Smucker's as title sponsor for its 2002/2003 U.S. touring season, it was announced today by Richard Smucker, president and co-CEO of The J.M. Smucker Company."

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that tours, competitions, etc.. - even stadiums and arenas have the sponsor name only for as long as the sponsor wants to spend the money there. Looks like Lalique (who not only have beautiful crystals, but also lovely perfumes) decided to pull out.

Places like Joe Lewis Arena and Madison Sq. Garden are rare these days. Pepsi Arenas, Savvis Centers are more common place.

Sorry about the confusion, Alexi's girl.

Yana

Alexi's Girl, thanks for joining the forum! Welcome aboard!

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 11-16-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    stl blues fan

I think Target was the sponsor before Smucker's. Don't remember who was sponsor before them. Target used to show that silly Christmas show with the bear that they sold and Katya Gordeeva boosted sales of her perfume they sold at Target. And Scott had those commercials with the kid in the car.

Custom Title
    That's right! Target! I remember the perfume too now.

Thanks, JOHIO2.

Yana

Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    I assume the sponsor, Lalique, decided to spend their ad. $$ elsewhere. Same goes to SOI - at one point it was Smuckers SOI, now it's something else.

Yana
    First it was DISCOVER CARD SOI
    Then Target took it over making it TARGET SOI
    Smuckers has always been a sponser, just not the title sponser until 02-03, when it took the place of Target...

Quote Originally Posted by JOHIO2
    stl blues fan

I think Target was the sponsor before Smucker's. Don't remember who was sponsor before them. Target used to show that silly Christmas show with the bear that they sold and Katya Gordeeva boosted sales of her perfume they sold at Target. And Scott had those commercials with the kid in the car.
    Scott's commercials ruled!!!! lol

but what about this bear? Are you thinking Snowden on Ice? He was a snowman

Kurt Browning, Josee Chouinard, Katia Gordeeva, Scott Hamilton and smaller name show skaters all starred in Snowden On Ice 1 & 2 (in the first one Daria Grinkova also starred) I have both on tape. They are the best Christmas specials

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Toni,

bear or snowman, Snowden was a stuffed toy Target sold! Thanks for reminding me of his name and "species."

Quote Originally Posted by JOHIO2
    Toni,

bear or snowman, Snowden was a stuffed toy Target sold! Thanks for reminding me of his name and "species."
    We don't have Target up here (I know, it's sad) so I never saw any of the merchandise... I bought the videos through Amazon, I think lol