Very Quick Question | Golden Skate

Very Quick Question

MissCleo

On the Ice
I know I am probably so late on this one but what happened to the name "Trophee Lalique"?

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
God know, that still puzzles me to this day:scratch:

Trophee Lalique is much better then Grand Prix Paris as they refer to it on TV

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I assume the sponsor, Lalique, decided to spend their ad. $$ elsewhere. Same goes to SOI - at one point it was Smuckers SOI, now it's something else.

Yana

Saundy

On the Ice
Lalique is no longer the sponsor, Eric Bombard Cachemire is now the official sponsor. Same type of thing as if they changed Mastercard Skate Canada to Visa Skate Canada.

Edit: Haha looks like someone answered the same time as me. :laugh:

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
Yana -
Where did you hear that Stars on Ice was sponsored by someone else. Smuckers still is their main sponsor, and all of their marketing collateral for this year still says Smuckers.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
When it was Lalique, they had this nice trophy for it too. And it sounded better than Bompard.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
That's true about the beautiful Lalique crystal trophies - and Alexei always brags that they're each worth $3,000! LOL...(hey - I'd bid on one if it pops up on eBay!)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Alexei'sgirl said:
Yana -
Where did you hear that Stars on Ice was sponsored by someone else. Smuckers still is their main sponsor, and all of their marketing collateral for this year still says Smuckers.

Ok, I made a mistake. Smuckers is the current sponsor. But until a few years ago, somebody else was the main sponsor - I can't recall who it was though! I will have to dig through my old ticket stubs, if I can find them :)

I found this on Smuckers website:

"Stars on Ice, America's premier figure skating production, has partnered with Smucker's as title sponsor for its 2002/2003 U.S. touring season, it was announced today by Richard Smucker, president and co-CEO of The J.M. Smucker Company."

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that tours, competitions, etc.. - even stadiums and arenas have the sponsor name only for as long as the sponsor wants to spend the money there. Looks like Lalique (who not only have beautiful crystals, but also lovely perfumes) decided to pull out.

Places like Joe Lewis Arena and Madison Sq. Garden are rare these days. Pepsi Arenas, Savvis Centers are more common place.

Sorry about the confusion, Alexi's girl.

Yana

Alexi's Girl, thanks for joining the forum! Welcome aboard!

Mathman :)

Last edited:

JOHIO2

Medalist
stl blues fan

I think Target was the sponsor before Smucker's. Don't remember who was sponsor before them. Target used to show that silly Christmas show with the bear that they sold and Katya Gordeeva boosted sales of her perfume they sold at Target. And Scott had those commercials with the kid in the car.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
I assume the sponsor, Lalique, decided to spend their ad. $$ elsewhere. Same goes to SOI - at one point it was Smuckers SOI, now it's something else.

Yana

First it was DISCOVER CARD SOI
Then Target took it over making it TARGET SOI
Smuckers has always been a sponser, just not the title sponser until 02-03, when it took the place of Target...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
stl blues fan

I think Target was the sponsor before Smucker's. Don't remember who was sponsor before them. Target used to show that silly Christmas show with the bear that they sold and Katya Gordeeva boosted sales of her perfume they sold at Target. And Scott had those commercials with the kid in the car.

Scott's commercials ruled!!!! lol

but what about this bear? Are you thinking Snowden on Ice? He was a snowman

Kurt Browning, Josee Chouinard, Katia Gordeeva, Scott Hamilton and smaller name show skaters all starred in Snowden On Ice 1 & 2 (in the first one Daria Grinkova also starred) I have both on tape. They are the best Christmas specials :)

JOHIO2

Medalist
Toni,

bear or snowman, Snowden was a stuffed toy Target sold! Thanks for reminding me of his name and "species."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
Toni,

bear or snowman, Snowden was a stuffed toy Target sold! Thanks for reminding me of his name and "species."

We don't have Target up here (I know, it's sad) so I never saw any of the merchandise... I bought the videos through Amazon, I think lol