Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Great reason to not smoke!

Since I and three of my children are allergic to it, I just can't figure how smokers think they have the right to make us ill. The only law they have here is they can't smoke in public buildings or rest rooms, but I don't think they enforce it. So, they all stand outside the doors and you have to hold your breath to get in. If they don't have a non smoking area, they have to put a sign on the door saying so. There is getting to be more non smoking ones but they are mostly the cafeterias, fast food, etc. It is looking like they might try and get a non smoking law in the state but it will be a while. It's only been a few years since they don't allow it in hospitals. I know when my son and I were in the hospital, we had to keep our doors shut and still was smoky.

I think many of the anti-smoking laws have gone too far. For instance, in Massachusetts it's a fight every year to pass the exception to the anti-smoking law that allows nursing home residents to smoke (making them quit is plane cruel). What really scared me, though, was a Michigan company that introduced a policy that forbade employees from smoking at all, even in their time off! It said there would be blood tests to enforce it. While I don't smoke, if my company introduced a rule like that, I'd start looking for another job.

OTOH, I've been trying for years to make my father quit. At least he knows that when he's over at our place, he has to go outside to smoke.

Master Procrastinator
    You know what's terrible? The main reason why I never started smoking is the smell. I could never go around stinking like that! Yuck! Of course, I know it could kill me, but I almost find the stench worse .

Down With It
    Same here, man.

I smoked from the age of 14 to the age of 18. Then it became legal for me to smoke, and I quit.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    I have never smoked in my life, I love going home to Ireland because smoking is now completely banned in public places - you cannot appreciate how nice it is to go out for a few drinks and not come home stinking like a three day old ashtray!

A partial ban is in force in the UK now which will be good for eating out in restaurants but not so good for the pubs.

I worked in a bar for four years before the Irish ban came into force and I was astounded at the level of inconsideration of smokers who seemed to think that it was perfectly acceptable to stand at the bar and order through a cloud of stinking smoke!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2