Great reason to not smoke! | Golden Skate

Great reason to not smoke!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
When I was in college the biology department had a nice display of good lungs and smokers lungs, and if seeing that didn't discourage anyone from smoking I don't know what would.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
My mother used to talk about what she called "The Lung Film", which they showed as a "Don't Smoke" message when she was in either jr. high or high school. It was basically a film of an operation on a man who had lung cancer. She said one kid passed out and knocked over the projector.... :laugh: :laugh:

SingAlto

On the Ice
I wish any kid who was thinking of smoking could spend an afternoon with my mother who can't walk across the room without getting winded because of smoking for 64 years. :frown:

Lucy25

Final Flight
SingAlto said:
I wish any kid who was thinking of smoking could spend an afternoon with my mother who can't walk across the room without getting winded because of smoking for 64 years. :frown:
:frown: So sorry to hear that. Seeing blackened human lungs is one thing, but it certainly makes it more real to read what you wrote.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
SingAlto said:
((((SingAlto))))

Johar

Medalist
There's a big debate in Muncie, Indiana, about smoking in restaurants. The smokers say they have a right to smoke in these places and if the non-smokers don't like it they can go elsewhere.

I wish they would make the restaurants non-smoking. I am tired od having that cigarette smell get in my hair and on my clothes, not to mention the damage it does to my lungs.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think businesses should have the right to choose if they have smoking or not. If you know that then you don't have to go in.

Dee

Johar

Medalist
I disagree. I may want to eat that particular food. Smoking is a nasty habit that does affect bystanders, and Indiana has one of the highest smoking rates in the nation. Too bad we aren't a health progressive state. I feel if they ban smoking their business will increase.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's certainly scary. But not surprising.

The real interesting thing is, after talking to a few fellow kids who smoke, the vast majority of them discourage others from picking up the habit. I don't know what to think, because it seems like they KNOW it's bad, but can't quit because they're addicted. Truly sad...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I am sooooo glad I quit. When I started nursing school we were allowed to smoke at the nurses's station if it wasn't visiting hours. My how things have changed.

SingAlto

On the Ice
Johar said:
There's a big debate in Muncie, Indiana, about smoking in restaurants. The smokers say they have a right to smoke in these places and if the non-smokers don't like it they can go elsewhere.

I wish they would make the restaurants non-smoking. I am tired od having that cigarette smell get in my hair and on my clothes, not to mention the damage it does to my lungs.

Wow, I didn't realize that there are still states where smoking in restaurants is allowed. I'm from California orginally, and smoking in restaurants was outlawed a long time ago. Here in Oregon, it's been against the law for a few years now.

Johar

Medalist
Ironically, a former resident currently in California wrote at how dismayed he was when he came to Muncie and saw how many people smoke in restaurants and how uncultured the town was.

Smoking is permitted in my hair salon, too. Many of the employees smoke while cutting hair.

mpal2

Final Flight
I hate the restaurants that assume a little row of fake plants will be enough to separate the smoking and non-smoking areas. I was in the mood for a chocolate shake one night so a friend and I went to the Steak N Shake. It's a bad idea to go there as a small group because all their 2 person tables are lined up next to the smoking section. We had to ask for a new table because the fans were blowing the smoke right back in our faces. Neither one of us could eat because it made us so sick.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Yesterday, I was eating lunch at a restaurant in the no smoking section. This older gentleman and his wife were seated in the booth behind me. Now the old guy could barely shuffle in and his wife was toting his oxygen tank. I nearly spit out my coffee when he complained to the waitress that there were no ash trays on the table. She just said, "Sir. This is the no smoking section."

Fortunately his wife shut him up. I didn't hear exactly how, but you can bet that I would have raised a stink if he'd lit up. His smoke would be annoying enough. But he would be putting a half dozen or more people in immediate jeopardy smoking while on oxygen. Sheeesh. If he wants to blow himself up, he should do it elsewhere. You can bet I would have pulled out the cell phone and speed dialed the cops.

But this just shows how addictive smoking is. Two of the big hospitals in Cleveland have gone completely non-smoking. As in, you can't smoke anywhere on their property. Employees have been told to quit and they have offered all kinds of help to stop smoking. Wonder how it's going?

As you can probably tell, I am a bit ambivalent about smoking bans. I don't smoke and I really would prefer not to be around smoke. But I have enough libertarian in me that I hate the thought of persecuting those who do smoke. It's definitely one of those gray areas for me. (and I don't mean that as a double entendre)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Since I and three of my children are allergic to it, I just can't figure how smokers think they have the right to make us ill. The only law they have here is they can't smoke in public buildings or rest rooms, but I don't think they enforce it. So, they all stand outside the doors and you have to hold your breath to get in. If they don't have a non smoking area, they have to put a sign on the door saying so. There is getting to be more non smoking ones but they are mostly the cafeterias, fast food, etc. It is looking like they might try and get a non smoking law in the state but it will be a while. It's only been a few years since they don't allow it in hospitals. I know when my son and I were in the hospital, we had to keep our doors shut and still was smoky.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think many of the anti-smoking laws have gone too far. For instance, in Massachusetts it's a fight every year to pass the exception to the anti-smoking law that allows nursing home residents to smoke (making them quit is plane cruel). What really scared me, though, was a Michigan company that introduced a policy that forbade employees from smoking at all, even in their time off! It said there would be blood tests to enforce it. While I don't smoke, if my company introduced a rule like that, I'd start looking for another job.

OTOH, I've been trying for years to make my father quit. At least he knows that when he's over at our place, he has to go outside to smoke.

Lucy25

Final Flight
You know what's terrible? The main reason why I never started smoking is the smell. I could never go around stinking like that! Yuck! Of course, I know it could kill me, but I almost find the stench worse:laugh: .

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I smoked from the age of 14 to the age of 18. Then it became legal for me to smoke, and I quit.