Shizuka Arakawa | Golden Skate

Shizuka Arakawa

Johar

Medalist
She was just flying on the ice at the Cup of China! Her spins had alot of speed in them and her posistions looked improved. I hope she has a very good year in front of her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
TT clearly put a reign on her. Pace her into the final destination. I expect her fire on late in the season. Mentally, she has nothing to lose this season since she is not reignning WC any more. And by lost the competetions to top cats early on in the season, it could only improving her mentaly by the time Olympic come around. She really is a much refined skater.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Arianne said:
She definately should have been second. No question.
She was 2nd in the free. However, her technical content in the short was rather low. The tenical mark there was lower than Liashenko's, and the base value of her technical elements was actually 0.1 lower than Liu's! I am not an Asada fan, I prefer Arakawa any day, but in a system that evaluates two programs, the final placement was fair. Though she would have been second overall under 6.0 system.

I really think she and Sasha have a shot at the gold. It won't be easy but it could happen. Anything can.

What Shiz needs is a good dose of how to sell that wonderful program.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm just pleased that she actually seemed to enjoy herself. Shizuka actually smiled during the middle of her program. Haven't seen that in a while!

brad640

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
What Shiz needs is a good dose of how to sell that wonderful program.
I thought she sold it very well - much improved. The diva is back.

Mzheng said:
TT clearly put a reign on her. Pace her into the final destination. I expect her fire on late in the season. Mentally, she has nothing to lose this season since she is not reignning WC any more. And by lost the competetions to top cats early on in the season, it could only improving her mentaly by the time Olympic come around. She really is a much refined skater.
Mzheng, ITA. I think Tarasova has now learned from experience to become the master strategist she's been with her male skaters with her female ones. I think Shizza will be her first ladies "Yags," if that makes sense.

Heyang said:
I'm just pleased that she actually seemed to enjoy herself. Shizuka actually smiled during the middle of her program. Haven't seen that in a while!
I couldn't agree more. I was starting to worry after Campbell's, SA, and the COC SP. But as I said re Mzheng's post, I think she's pacing herself. Still, there are few things as beautiful on ice as that Shizza Sparkle(TM).;)

Rgirl

nymkfan51

Medalist
I really hope she can put it all together. I just love her style ... strong and powerful, yet also elegant.

I was very pleased to see Shizuka have such a great skate! I remember last year she seemed lack-luster and had her share of problems. I didn't know what to expect this year, but she looked wonderful in COC.

Kwantessence

Rinkside
Shizuka's lp is my favorite program of the season. Excellent choice of music!!! If only she & Tarasova could iron out the jump problems, so that she can really let the music inspire her more. There have got to be jump technicians in Japan or Russia, who can help her fix her rotation issues. I love her effortless power, regal elegance, and silky smoooth edges. If Shizuka get's her act together, she could be formidable.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yeah, Rgirl, I agree TT is one of the bigest strategyist in FS. From these two competetions COC and TEB, looks like they are concentrating on LP as for now. Not try to be the target score every one will try to aim for.

I'm not so concern about her jumps now. Usually for these elite skaters they can have jump back and ready in four weeks. Right now is working on programs getting used to the musics and make your skating in tunne with the music and see where can milk out more points without disrupt an already flowed program. This need brains and strategy, this is where TT for.....when Japan National comes around I'd expect her back to her Japanese coach(more technique concetrate) works on jumps.

I'm also wondering why she underroted 3/3 or even just triples. Still remember last year Campbells, when Raphael saw her first time after 2004 worlds. Raphael said Arakawa's 3/3s are still so beautyful. He was not known for encourage skaters to put cheated jumps (even 1/8th turn) into the programs.