Withdrawals | Golden Skate

Withdrawals

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Any reason given? Do the Kerrs still have a chance to qualify for the Olympics?

that's bad news. I wonder if they are injured. I couldn't believe their placement at the SA (or was it SC?). They placed well below some teams they normally beat hands down.

What is the criteria that has to be met by the Kerrs? I know that Britain looks for a specific World placement (which they met) and then there are the Europeans. Do GP events play a role?

Yana

Lanie

On the Ice
:scowl: Kerrs w/d? No!!

The Kerrs AFAIK have already qualified to go to the Olympics at their performances at last year's Euros and Worlds.

I wish John and Sinead all the best! I hope they're both okay...

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Lanie said:
:scowl: Kerrs w/d? No!!

The Kerrs AFAIK have already qualified to go to the Olympics at their performances at last year's Euros and Worlds.

I wish John and Sinead all the best! I hope they're both okay...

The Kerrs qualified based on ISU requirements, but British FS association has additional criteria that has to be met. It's normally top 10 at Euros or something like that. But now I wonder (together with MM) if BFSA (is that the name?) consider GP events as well.

Yana

Lanie

On the Ice
The British skating assn is called NISA. :)

Here's what John and Sinead had to say in an entry on their website...

"Our final position of 12th actually turned out to have far more significance than we had initially realised. First of all 12th place gave us the last automatic Olympic place under ISU rules. There were 19 places available at Worlds and we got the 19th spot!"

So I guess they've met the requirements!

diver chick

On the Ice
They have met the ISU requirements but NISA is notorious for pulling the rug from under the feet of it's skaters regarding this and setting their own much tougher requirements. At the last Olys Marika and Vitaly had to jump through hoops to be allowed to go to Olys. They appear to have this idea that they will only send skaters if they have a chance to do well, what happened to gaining valuable experience etc, I don't know.

Very few of the top British skaters can afford to skate full-time in this country as they receive little or no support or funding from the powers that be. In fact only last year the Kerr's had their lottery funding withdrawn (not sure if they got it back or not). I think in a country where we can afford to play jumped up prima donna mediocre footballers millions of pounds each year it is shameful that elite athletes in the less popular sports are left to fund their own training, competition costs, travel expenses etc.

That said unless the Kerr's are injured I would not have thought that they would have pulled out of a competition that might be a oly qualifier for them. I would be more concerned if they pulled out of Euros ;)

I spoke with the Kerrs in Pittsburgh last SA and I got the impression they are looking to the next four years when the present contenders are retired. But they should go to this Olys or NISA will be mud.

Joe

diver chick

On the Ice
Have spoken to a friend and yes the Kerr's are going to Olys :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately it looks like they are the only British skaters that will be allowed to go so no Jenna McCorkell which is a disappointment as far as I am concerned because I really enjoy her skating and reckon she could :clap: benefit from the experience.