Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U.S. ice dancers and the Olympics

U.S. ice dancers and the Olympics

Ok, so...if Belbin and Agosto don't get to go (still hoping!!!) who will be the three teams representing the U.S. I don't know this field as well. I am already a fan of Silverstein and O'Meara. I also liked the couple I watched at Cup of China (can't remember the names!) Anyway, who has the potential to go? This should be a really interesting competition, IMO.

Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov are the reigning US Silver medalists... he is a US citizen now, and they're being lauded as the first team that will be at teh Olys

they are a great couple on and off the ice, and I cannot wait to cheer them on in St. Louis and hopefully ( really have no doubt they'll make the team) the Olympics!!!!

Yes, I suppose G&P have clinched the first spot. Who do you think will get the other two spots?

It's all about Plushenko.
    I think it's going to be between S/O'M, G-R/M, and S/M to battle it out. (What, their last names are way too long!)

I'm sorry, could someone please spell out the names for me. I trying to become more familiar with these teams.

Nicole was talking about Jamie Silverstein and Ryan O'Meara, Loren Galler-Robinowitz and David Mitchell, and Tiffany Steigler and Sergei Magorofski (sp?)

Custom Title
    Jaimie Silverstein and Ryan O'Meara; new team
    Lauren Galler Rabinovitz and David Mitchel (I think that's his correct first name)
    Tiffany Stiegler and Sergey Magerovsky (4th at last year nationals)

Other possible teams: Lydia Mannon and ? (is it Brandon Forthyth?) - new team

Morgan Matthews and Maxim Zavozin (5th at last year nationals, 1st at junior worlds)

Based on Lake Placid performance of Silverstein&O'Meara; Mannon&?; and Steigler and Magerovsky, I would give more weight to Silverstein&O'Meara.

Matthews and Zavosin looked good at Cup of China 2 weeks ago.

Lauren Galler Rabinovitz and David Mitchel were out last season with injuries but have placed 3rd at 2004 nationals. I would also give them an edge over Mannon&?; and Steigler and Magerovsky.

So, besides Gregory and Petukhov (I assume they are a lock), we have 3 teams battling for 2 spots. I hope that Silverstein&O'Meara and Lauren Galler Rabinovitz and David Mitchel would get those spots. Both pairs are my sentimental favorites. Assuming that Matthews and Zavosin stay together, they will definitely go to 2010 Olympics.

But these are just speculations. There are other teams out there that just may surprise us in STL.

Yana

Matthews & Zavozin are certainly very promising, but their senior debut has been somewhat disappointing.

Personally, I rather liked Steigler & Magerovsky when I saw them at the Evening with Champions.

Gaell-Mitchell & Rabinowitz don't do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Matthews & Zavozin are certainly very promising, but their senior debut has been somewhat disappointing.

Personally, I rather liked Steigler & Magerovsky when I saw them at the Evening with Champions.

Gaell-Mitchell & Rabinowitz don't do much for me.
    Definitely Matthews & Zovozin.

Joe

Custom Title
    Ptichka, when you say Matthews & Zavozin's senior debut was dissapointing; in what way?

I thought their finishing in the top five in their first senior grand prix event was pretty good. I can remember a time when U.S. dancers skating in their first grand prix events would be near the very bottom of the pack. M&Z's programs are quite good as well IMHO.

I think (if Tanith and Ben don't make it) Gregory/Petukhov will be joined by Silverstein/O'Meara and either Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell and Stiegler/Magerovsky.

I like G/R&M, they are talented skaters and have upped their difficulty but they don't seem to have the speed and charisma of some of the other teams. I might give the edge to S&M and even though they haven't competed since Lake Placid and Danil does not have U.S. citizenship Wester/Barantsev did beat G/R&M in Lake Placid as well.

Custom Title
    I thought Matthews and Zavozin also couldn't go to the Olympics due to citzenship issues? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Saundy
    I thought Matthews and Zavozin also couldn't go to the Olympics due to citzenship issues? Correct me if I'm wrong please.
    I've read on other boards that the bill which would pull Tanith's citizenship through in time would also affect Zavozin in the same way.

It's all about Plushenko.
    It's interesting how we're going to have 3 World Junior Champions competing at Nationals this year: Silverstein won with Pekarek in 2000?, Belbin and Agosto won in 2002 I think, and Mathews and Zavosin won last year.
    CDMM and STL, thanks for the clarification. STL I think it's Brandon Forsyth, and I agree that Galler-Rabinovitz and Mitchell have the edge over Manon/Forsyth and Matthews/Zavosin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyan
    Ptichka, when you say Matthews & Zavozin's senior debut was dissapointing; in what way?
    I think I was mainly refering to their true senior debut - last year's nationals. They went in as favorites for the bronze, yet only ended up finishing 5th.

Their 5th place at CoC is interesting. On the one hand it's great that they beat Faiella and Scalli, but I think that was more of a fluke, since the Italians got many deductions in the free (2 points for a fall, and 1 point for a costume violations), while M&Z only got 1 (for an extended lift).

Looking at their detailed scores from the free is very interesting. I can tell that Garanina is loading them with very difficult elements that they are not fully ready for. Compare them to Wing & Lowe. M&Z had a higher tech score than W&L. However, their average GoE was actually negative, with a final tech score 1 point lower than the sum of base values. W&L's tech score, OTOH, was 0.7 above base.

This strategy is good if they improve. After all, this was only their first major competition in the season. If they become comfortable with this program enough to even average a flat GoE, they will have quite high scores. OTOH, I generally prefer programs where skaters feel comfortable with what they are doing, and don't make many mistakes.

Custom Title

Not Olympic Eligible at this time

I'd love a complete list of current USA dance teams who are not Olympic eligible at this time...
    Belbin and Agosto
    Stiegler and Magerovsky
    Matthews and Zavozin

There are probably more...
    Linny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast