Rotating the GP Competitions? | Golden Skate

Rotating the GP Competitions?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I was going to start this one a few weeks ago, after watching Skate America, but got really really busy....

It seems to me, that for the most part, Skate America is NOT a great competition, from the standpoint of the overall quality of skating. I'm not blaming the skaters for this; this is, after all the first GP of the season and I don't expect ANYONE to be brilliant in October. (Tho it does occasionally happen; still if someone skates too well in October I start to worry...) I've seen some pretty shaky Skate Canadas, too, for the same reason. To my mind, the amount of good performances seems to increase as the season progresses, for the most part.

I think the GP competitions should be rotated every season; every year, they've always basically been in the same order. How about starting off one season with the two European GP's (Bompard & C of RUS), then having the Asian leg (C of CHN and NHK), then ending with the two North American ones? Then the next year they can start with the Asian ones, then the North American ones, then the Europeans. I think this way the "early season skating" gets spread around a little bit more. Why should North America get the first leg every year?? Shouldn't a Skate America audience be treated once in a while to programs that a little more lived-in?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I think that sounds like a great idea, Jonny. I never thought of it that way. Skate America usually isn't a stellar event (although there have been some notable exceptions and performances in the past). I don't see why it would be a problem, but I'm sure the ISU (and Speedy) would find something wrong with it. After all....it makes too much sense.....:biggrin:

I also wondered why they don't rotate GP events to other places....sort of like Worlds. I know not every nation is capable of or willing to host these events, but it certianly would make things more interesting. Perhaps that would only complicate things, though.....

Good idea, Jonny. Not all the skaters in the GPs get an invitation to do cheesefests, so their first GP is really that sort of dress rehearsal a skater gets at Campbells. I think the last GP before the Final should be where the Final is being held. It is this year and this is good. Those skating the Final could remain there without the travel if they were scheduled for the last GP.

My other feeling is to move that Campbells thing back a couple of weeks and start the GPs sooner so that they the Final is two weeks earlier than now.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I've taken a long look at how the GP is run, and changes would be good.

Have only 4 competitions per year, and do the GPF on an every other year basis (no GPF in an Olympic year). The first three hosts would be current host countries, but the fourth would rotate to a different country every year, so that many of the smaller countries could take advantage of "guest host" status. The GPF also would be rotated alternating permanent host countries and 'guest' host countries.

The competitions should be staggered so that there is a minimum of 2 weeks between competitions, 3 where possible. Schedule the competitions in such a way as to ensure no long travel from one event to the next.

Have more competitors at each event: 16 singles, 10 Pairs, 15 ice dance. Award points down to 12th for singles and ice dance, and to 8th for Pairs.

Allow the top 12 skaters/Teams in each discipline to name the event they would like most to do, and as much as possible, accommodate that preference. Each of the 'top 12' would be required to do only one event, and no skater/team could do more than two events per year. The top 3 finishes over a two-year period will count towards the GPF.

The 8 best results for each discipline will go to the GPF.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Wow, euterpe, that makes way too much sense and Speedy won't go for it because it's logical. But if you could put in terms of the almight money factor and how it might actually MAKE money that way, you might be able to actually have Speedy look at it without spitting on his keyboard or rolling his eyes or going "Do these people not understand why we have the GP Series in the order that we do?"

And of course, you could then answer him: We don't think YOU even know why you do it the way you do.:rofl:

I really do like your idea, euterpe.

Jhar55

Medalist
That does sound like a good idea. There maybe someone who can't go in October, but I don't think a lot of fans would go Thanksgiving week. I would but then I live alone and don't always want to go visit family.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
^Here thanksgiving is the second week of October, but I'd still go anyways lol ;) (or if I weren't broke I would)