Figure skater stories that could be a TV/motion picture movie.. | Golden Skate

Figure skater stories that could be a TV/motion picture movie..

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I know there are plenty of figure skater's who have lives that would make a good made for tv movie, or maybe even a theater movie. I know Oksana Baiul, and the Nancy/Tonya tv movies have been made, but there are more to choose from, I'm sure.

The first that come to mind would be

Alexei Yagudin-Father leaves him and his mother when he was a baby. Mother started him in skating because he was sickly. Trained with Mishin. Went to the 98' Oly's with the flu, and got flack from his coach for it. He asked Tatiana to be his coach right after. Came to America exhausted. Tatiana helps him transform himself. Alexei gets more confidence and puts his whole self into his sport. It seems to be a long 4 years. 2002 Oly's finally come. He wins Gold, cries, celebrates, thanks his coach. Mix in the Bobek thing very quickly, and the rivalry between Alexei and Evgeny + Mishin. Maybe totally ignore the scandal from the Oly's, 'cause that had nothing to do with him.

Anyone else have any ideas for a Bio movie?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Depends upon what kind of story I want to tell. Anton and Elena would be a good film. If I could do a TV mini-series, I would use Michelle Kwan's career, not only for her own story, but to work in the stories of other skaters (for example, since Michelle was the alternate in '94, one episode will be Tonya/Nancy; another deals with Michelle in '96, but it also shows Rudy Galindo's story also; ups and downs for Irina, etc.) I would adjust the ending, to collapse Irina's comeback and the streaker into the same event, but I can't decide if I want Yags, Peter T. Johnny Z or Gwendal P for that particular role.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
With Zhulin and Platov both coaching C&S I was thinking about their (Zhulin's and Platov's) paths crossing previously. Could make an interesting movie and would give "Shared Gold" a whole new meaning.:biggrin:

BTW I hope Platov is looking out for C&S. I think it would be difficult for Zhulin to give both pairs equal attention. How does that work especially when they compete against each other?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Hmmm...many skaters' lives/careers would make a good movie: Oksana Baiul, Gordeyeva & Grinkov, Alexei Urmanov, Michelle Kwan, Paul Wylie, and certainly Tonya Harding.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BronzeisGolden said:
Hmmm...many skaters' lives/careers would make a good movie: Oksana Baiul, Gordeyeva & Grinkov, Alexei Urmanov, Michelle Kwan, Paul Wylie, and certainly Tonya Harding.
Why Paul Wylie, I don't know that much about him can you update me.

I thought of Rudy Galindo.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Why Paul Wylie, I don't know that much about him can you update me.

Dee

my guess is that he came out of virtually no where to win a silver medal at the Olympics

I'd definitely recommend it to one of the Religious/Christian networks for a made for tv movie as he said himself that it was by the Grace of God that he won.... I still can't find what I did with that tape of the radio program he was on talking about that during 02 olys :scratch:

I'd put Scott Hamilton down for a made for TV movie... childhood illness almost kills him... then cancer tries to kill him... he's a trooper! :agree:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I have always thought Paul's story was very inspiring. He really came out of nowhere to win his Olympic Silver medal. He had been around for so long and had showcased so much talent and potential, but had always fallen apart majorly when the pressure was on. It seemed so many had given up on him. I mean...he was ranked 11th in the world when he took the ice in Albertville! That only made his brilliant SP & LP all the more spectacular. He finally put together all of the pieces on the grandest stage in the world. Honestly, I don't know that much about him personally. But, he has always seemed like a very genuine guy.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Rudy Galindo, absolutely. That would be a whole-box-o-kleenex tearjerker.

A real movie about G&G would be nice, although I'm not sure it would be good for HER right now. I mean, the ending would kinda be a downer.

Hee...in the Michelle Kwan miniseries, wouldn't it be ironic if aspiring actress Tara Lipinski looked too old to play herself?

2002 pairs skating scandal--do it like the book ("The Second Mark"?) and tell both B&S and S&P's stories, leading up to the big meeting at Salt Lake City.

Of coures, you could go to any random USFSA event, even a test session, and pick a random skater, and get a more interesting and/or dramatic life story than any of the fictional ones the movies have come up with so far. *Looks at thread about latest possible Hollywood foray into figure skating and shudders violently.*

nuge

On the Ice
Definately the Pasha/Platov /Sasha /Usova /Navka story .
Also Marina Anissina how she skated for Russia with Averbuch .He fell in love with Lobacheva .Then she wrote the letters to Pezerait and Kratz.She went to live in France became a french citizen and skated to olympic glory with Pezerait :clap:

Spirit

On the Ice
I'd like to see a biopic about those two guys who got into a brawl in Salt Lake City, got banned from the sport, and exploit a loophole to come back in pairs figure skating in Torino.

Spirit said:
I'd like to see a biopic about those two guys who got into a brawl in Salt Lake City, got banned from the sport, and exploit a loophole to come back in pairs figure skating in Torino.
:rofl:

Spirit

On the Ice
Seriously, I'm baffled as to why no TV producer jumped all over Elena Berezhnaya's story, especially since Moskvina did just about everything she could to gain publicity for her star pair, including trying to get just such a movie made.

Or, for that matter, why no TV producer jumped all over the entire SLC scandal. That probably wouldn't be a good movie, but that never stopped anyone.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
CzarinaAnya said:
Alexei Yagudin-Father leaves him and his mother when he was a baby. Mother started him in skating because he was sickly. Trained with Mishin. Went to the 98' Oly's with the flu, and got flack from his coach for it. He asked Tatiana to be his coach right after. Came to America exhausted. Tatiana helps him transform himself. Alexei gets more confidence and puts his whole self into his sport. It seems to be a long 4 years. 2002 Oly's finally come. He wins Gold, cries, celebrates, thanks his coach. Mix in the Bobek thing very quickly, and the rivalry between Alexei and Evgeny + Mishin. Maybe totally ignore the scandal from the Oly's, 'cause that had nothing to do with him.
Add to that his father's story. During WWII, grandfather has a fling with his nurse; result is Yag's father, who in turn leaves his family.

ViNNie

Spectator
Okay....About Yagudin's story...

Mix quickly....What Bobek thing???????????????????

Last edited: