Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dear Coke-a-Cola

Dear Coke-a-Cola

Penguins are not in Alaska. Polar Bears are not in Antarctica....

quit doing the ignorant stereotype. it's no wonder America is raising a bunch of ignoramouses (is that a word, or did I pull a George W. Bush just now? LOL)

Custom Woman
    You tell 'em, Toni! Not to mention that it annoys me a lot that Coke uses those animals or their animated likenesses to sell their sugar-packed gunk--did anybody ask the penguins or the polar bears? No!--that does nothing but help contribute to the obesity problem in the US.

Even "Diet" Coke and its sugar-free counterparts have been shown in clinical studies to increase the appetite. The basic hypothesis is that the brain and certain other organs respond to the sweet taste as if it's sugar, which gives a short boost to blood glucose levels but then causes a precipitous drop in those levels, resulting in an increase in appetite.

But I shouldn't get started...grrrr. BTW, you can feel free to write Coca-Cola's executives and call them "ignoramuses" and be absolutely correct; it is the correct spelling for the plural of ignoramus and that they are.

Rgirl

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    Sorry but I just love the coca cola christmas ads - always makes me feel like Christmas is really coming when I start seeing them on tv, but they don't come on tv in Britain for another couple of weeks yet.

Quote Originally Posted by diver chick
    Sorry but I just love the coca cola christmas ads - always makes me feel like Christmas is really coming when I start seeing them on tv, but they don't come on tv in Britain for another couple of weeks yet.
    they are cute, I'll give them that, but this is the first time they've shown the penguins

considering I was born and raised in the Frozen North (commonly known as Alaska) I get tired of the 3 main questions:
    1. Do you live in igloos?
    2. Do you dog sled?
    3. Do you have a pet penguin?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle

considering I was born and raised in the Frozen North (commonly known as Alaska) I get tired of the 3 main questions:
    1. Do you live in igloos?
    2. Do you dog sled?
    3. Do you have a pet penguin?
    Better than.......
    1. Why do you marry your cousins?
    2. Why do you get married at 12 and have kids at 13?
    3. Why don't you wear shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Better than.......
    1. Why do you marry your cousins?
    2. Why do you get married at 12 and have kids at 13?
    3. Why don't you wear shoes?

I have never asked those dumb questions (we have the same stereotypical families up here so ya know lol)

my little brother's biological father's family is something right out of the "Hickville" Jokes So glad we got him out of that situation. (for those who that just confused my little brother was adopted out of the foster care system... he's been in our home longer than he's been anywhere else)

I am from Indiana and I've had people ask me if I live on a farm or play basketball.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    This reminds me of a woman I used to work with who had lived in Alaska for a few years and she too was irritated at the Coca-Cola ads featuring the polar bears; her take on it was, they were trying to portray them as being cute and cuddly creatures (tho I personally find the computer-generated ones in the commercials as a bit creepy), when in reality, according to her, those things in real life would take your head off in a second if you got too close....

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    What happened to Santa? He was always on the Coke cans during Christmas time. Polar bears are fine for the commercials, but not the cans. I miss my classic Santa!

Custom Title
    Hey - it's neither the north nor south pole....it's whimsy and I like whimsy and hence I like the ads.

In fantasy you can have penguins and polar bears toasting each other with fizzy beverages wherever the heck they want.

Newsflash: In those other TV ads, bears don't really use toilet paper in the woods or drive Hummers (thank gawd) either.

Custom Title
    Count me in as one who loves the fantasy Coke commercials. Far better than Pepsi (which I don't drink). I love my Coke Zero. I just don't take these commercials to heart especially since I'm an American who isn't an ignoramus and just likes the fantasy.

But fantasy is fantasy! And the commercials are cool. It isn't time for the Santa on the Coke can yet.
    Last edited by swannanoa54; 11-19-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    This reminds me of a woman I used to work with who had lived in Alaska for a few years and she too was irritated at the Coca-Cola ads featuring the polar bears; her take on it was, they were trying to portray them as being cute and cuddly creatures (tho I personally find the computer-generated ones in the commercials as a bit creepy), when in reality, according to her, those things in real life would take your head off in a second if you got too close....

Anybody with common sense would know a polar bear is aggressive and dangerous

Custom Title
    Anybody with common sense would know a polar bear is aggressive and dangerous
    ......most would, but there will always be some fools with too many guns, too little sense, and an overabundance of testosterone..........

I also don't mind fantasy that much, but I can see why Toni might be a bit annoyed with media that only fuels existing stereotypes. I am from a very small mountain community in Southeastern Tennessee, and I sometimes get very sick of the existing stereotypes that some people have about this state and particularly this region. We don't all bake vats of meth in our mobiles homes, drive ridiculously over-sized 4-wheel drives with loaded gun racks and Bush stickers, or spend hours spackling/cementing our bangs into a "Say Hi to Jesus" style. , but, I do have to say that sometimes these existing stereotypes can be a useful tool. If people assume that you aren't intelligent based upon stereotypes and the like...that gives you ample room to maneuver and to surprise them. LOL...that sounds very manipulative and shady.....but it is something I have dealt with on many occassions.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I never said I didn't like the Polar bears. I think the commercials are cute. I never want those commercials to go away.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    Even "Diet" Coke and its sugar-free counterparts have been shown in clinical studies to increase the appetite. The basic hypothesis is that the brain and certain other organs respond to the sweet taste as if it's sugar, which gives a short boost to blood glucose levels but then causes a precipitous drop in those levels, resulting in an increase in appetite.

Rgirl
    Off topic, but researchers need to retool their research. Diet Coke does not make people fat. Rather it's the person's mentality that since the drink is calorie free, it gives them permission to eat more food. So maybe normally they wouldn't have a dessert after downing a Big Mac and fries with a regular coke, but will treat themselves to an ice cream if they have a diet coke.

I don't like research like this because it misleads people into thinking that Diet Coke doesn't make a difference in the weight loss game and it does. Those obese people do not need the extra sugar that regular coke supplies. While not drinking coke at all might be the "ideal" solution, I think it's unrealistic to plan a diet around idealism. It needs to be based on reality and the reality is that the person is going to drink coke, so it might as well be diet coke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast