Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Short

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Hmm, so Asada is ahead of both Sasha and Shizuka. I hope this is reversed in the free. I don't care whether Sasha or Shizuka win, but I think their skating is superior to Asada's.
    Asada is ahead based on the TES. Word has it she did a 3/3, and sounds like a nice clean program. Sounds like Sasha and Shiz had some minor problems, but that usually takes something away from the overall picture. Cannot WAIT to see these.

BTW, (just in case anyone is wondering) CCTV-5 doesn't appear to have any coverage scheduled "live" but apparently their schedule shows TEB coverage on the 21st and 22nd. So hopefully we can either catch it live, or maybe by downloading videos.

DG

Custom Title
    IMO, the "hex of the over-hyped" got Kimmie.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    IMO, the "hex of the over-hyped" got Kimmie.
    I think you might be right Attyfan. I was "HUH??" after US Nats last year when USFSA / ABC / ESPN took her on the whirlwind to World's as a "commentator" (well, minimally). I thought to myself "here it comes."

Next she bombed (for her IMO) at Jr. Worlds.

Of course all of this could just be coincidence, but I'm really shaking my head at what her parents and coach must be thinking to allow this hyping to continue. My guess is that the pressure will simply escalate with every less than stellar performance she has. Better to keep mouth shut and save it for the ice IMO.

DG

Custom Title
    I'm not surprised. From all I've heard the technical is where Asada shines, is it not? I rather expect Cohen or one of the other skater to pass her in the free. But there's always the factor that she's skating under absolutely no pressure right now - few expectations, no pressure to show her stuff before the Olympics.....

On another note, I'm thrilled Rochette is so close to the medals. I dislike her short and think it actually does her a disservice, so the fact that she's a few tenths behind Arakawa is really heartening to me. I so want to see her medal and make it to the GPF.

Custom Title
    Rain, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. What happened to day *is* a huge surprise. How many of us predicted 'an easy TOTAL ROMP' for Cohen in Paris? TOTAL ROMP means handily winning both phases of the event, if skating cleanly.

Custom Title
    I guess I just don't belong to the "no pressure" crowd. To me, it doesn't matter if Mao's eligible for the Olympics or not. At what point do you believe any young skater wouldn't feel pressure to do their very best no matter what? Good grief, no pressure? Puh-lease. Mao wants to win this competition, doesn't she? Then she's probably feeling a little pressure to win, don't ya think?

No pressure! Don't make me laugh! I hate laughing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    Rain, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. What happened to day *is* a huge surprise. How many of us predicted 'an easy TOTAL ROMP' for Cohen in Paris? TOTAL ROMP means handily winning both phases of the event, if skating cleanly.
    I never thought this would be a total romp for Cohen. Actually with the field as stacked as it is at this competition, I really had a tough time even picking out who was likely to medal. I always thought Cohen had a good shot at the gold, of course, but so did Arakawa, Sokolova, Rochette and Asada.

Custom Title
    I'm kind shocked that Mao beat both Cohen in SP.

I'm not shocked at her beat Cohen and Arakawa in TECS. It was the PCS, Arakawa only beat Mao by 1.32 points, and Cohen beat Mao only by 1.80? It is very clear that Judges are not willing to hand over Arakawa and Cohen the big PCS scores they are willing to hand over to the other top cat.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by realistic51
    I guess I just don't belong to the "no pressure" crowd. To me, it doesn't matter if Mao's eligible for the Olympics or not. At what point do you believe any young skater wouldn't feel pressure to do their very best no matter what? Good grief, no pressure? Puh-lease. Mao wants to win this competition, doesn't she? Then she's probably feeling a little pressure to win, don't ya think?

No pressure! Don't make me laugh! I hate laughing.
    I would argue that it does make a huge difference that Mao is not eligible for the Olympics, also that she is skating in her first year as a senior. There aren't the expectations on her that the Olympic-eligible skaters are facing - the pressure of an entire nation, often. Some are also facing the pressure of this being their last shot at it. They want the judges to see them as a contender - where they place and how they skate is a message for later in the season.

Of course you're right that Mao wants to skate well - who doesn't? But she's in more of a try -it-out position right now as opposed to a do-or-die.

I think technically she can make the final if she comes fourth, but I still want Joannie to move up to the podium! She's going to have a tough time doing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    I'm kind shocked that Mao beat both Cohen in SP.

I'm not shocked at her beat Cohen and Arakawa in TECS. It was the PCS, Arakawa only beat Mao by 1.32 points, and Cohen beat Mao only by 1.80? It is very clear that Judges are not willing to hand over Arakawa and Cohen the big PCS scores they are willing to hand over to the other top cat.
    IMO from the PBP's I've read about (but of course, not seen actual performances) both Sasha and Shiz had a couple of problems. I doubt you can compare those types of SP skates to the one Irina laid down at COC that by all reports, and my eyes was commanding, and very clean. The PBP's from today suggest that Mao was quite clean with a 3/3 to boot. Sorry, but I DO think that factors into the PCS realm, whether we agree or not that it should.

I have a hard time believing that what was described as a somewhat tentative skate from Sasha would score the same in PCS as a commanding performance from Irina.

DG

Custom Title
    Over at FSU some posters are saying that Mao Asada is putting an enormous pressure on herself, because she is too young to go to the olys, therefore the GP series is the olympics to her.

Last season she won big in the jr circuit, and came a very close second to Ando in the Japanese nationa. It seems like she loves to win, and with that comes the pressure, even if that is internal and not something external e.g. what Ito experienced in olys 92 IMO
    Last edited by gezando; 11-18-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by realistic51
    Gee, not one single 8 in Sasha's scores. Didn't Irina get some 8s in her PCS scores for her SP?

Sasha didn't skate CLEAN like Irina and she certainly can't outjump her lol!

Quote Originally Posted by curious
    Sasha didn't skate CLEAN like Irina and she certainly can't outjump her lol!
    She may not be able to outjump her but IMO she does everything else better than Irina.

Quote Originally Posted by gezando
    Over at FSU some posters are saying that Mao Asada is putting an enormous pressure on herself, because she is too young to go to the olys, therefore the GP series is the olympics to her.
    This is definitely not like Sasha in Paris. Who honestly didn't think this was a sure thing for Sasha? Well, it's not over yet but Sasha's LP by past performances have not been perfect (except that legendary skate in Dortmund QR). She's a good skater. She can do it.

How well Mao's LP goes is anyone's guess. She's hot right now and the judges aren't worried about immaturity. I wish people would explain what they mean by 'pressure'. Pressure is a two way street. It can bring one up and it can bring one down. Little girls don't have pressure. That's a given.

Shiz and Joannie are both still in this. So we have a 4-way race for the 3 spot podium.

We can not leave out Kimmie. She's more than likely with pressure for that 3rd spot for the US Nats and getting on the Oly team. In juniors, she often came back strong in the LP after being way down in the SP.

Elena is not up to the above named for a place on the podium. She needs one to be sure of the GP Final.

Every one of these ladies will be under pressure. Let's see how they use it.

Joe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast