Fusor-Poli and Margaglio | Golden Skate

Fusor-Poli and Margaglio

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I thought they were planning on competing at the Olympics. Does anyone know? If so, why are they not in the GP?

Thanks!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Because don't you qualify to the GP series based on your national and world ranking?????
I do not believe this is correct. Italian federation has a certain number of places, and it can send whomever it wishes. My guess is that they didn't want the extra pressure. BTW, I guess this is the same reason they did not do Karl Shaeffer which Drobiazko & Vanagas had to do since Lithuania did not have any opening for the Olympics.

Piel said:
So what about "Speedy's Law"....no GP no Olympics?
It's not like that. The rule is that if you DO NOT do GP, you CANNOT do any other competitions/ shows in the same time and retain your eligibility.

There is a long interview with Barbara and Maurizio in Blades on Ice (also a nice article on Silvia Fontana). They say that they are pointing toward the National Championship, Europeans, and then the Olympics, "with maybe an Italian competition before Italian Nationals."

On the NJS:

Margaglio: "Today it is much more difficult to tranfer to the ice what real dance is, because the rules, this exasperated technique which is expected today, are a limitaion to the real dance steps which might not always be technically challenging, but which give the real feeling of a dance. It has become more difficult to transmit the true spirit of the various dance styles, because if you do these non-technical steps, you are not getting many points."

Fusar-Poli: "It is difficult but not impossible. This is what we want to demonstrate, this is the challenge we want to win..."

On competing against Navka and Kostamorov:

BOI: "Recently N & K's coach Alenandr Shulin said your skating style is not mature, is junior-like. What do you answer him?"

Margaglio (smiling): "Last time we met this couple at Worlds was in 2001, and if I'm not mistaken we were first, and they were 11th. We could say the junior won over the novice, then..." :laugh:

MM