Anyone think the Cop scores at the Olympics will be lower? | Golden Skate

Anyone think the Cop scores at the Olympics will be lower?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've been wondering about this...IIRC in recent years there have been lots of 6.0s given out at Worlds, but not at the Olympics (even though we've had some amazing performances in both events). Maybe this is just a stupid question of mine (and some of you might agree) but...anyone think this'll translate to the new judging system? Will we see any 7's in PCS scoring? I dunno...just something to ponder when I'm not doing anything else...:scratch:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'm sure we will see plenty of PCS scores in the 7s at the Olympics, but I honestly don't think we'll see many scores in the high 8s or low 9s. However, like you Red Dog, I am going by the trend that was set under the 6.0 system. Perfect scores at the Olympics were quite hard to come by. Plushenko and Slutskaya are the only skaters semi-consistently receiving those 8s....so, if they show up in Turin and skate well I'll be very interested to see what happens. I can see 8s raining down for Plushenko. Other than that, I'm not sure. This is a new judging system, so I imagine they would be leary of handing out stellar scores right off the bat.....unless somebody just brings the house down....and happens to be a favorite or co-favorite. As always, I could be complete wrong! :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for your insight.

As for what I think, if Irina can really throw it down in Turin, look for her to score 200+ points. They (the judges) seem to LOVE for her to get that OGM. But, who knows? a 7 in PCS scoring for the ladies might be considered really high at that event relative to all the little GP events we have here. Would Irina have gotten that outrageous 70-point score if she duplicated her COC SP performance in Torino, with all the other top contenders? I think this boils down to the big question: Can scores from different competitions REALLY be compared to each other after all? Just some food for thought...

gkelly

Record Breaker
The PCS in dance tend to be a bit higher (understandably -- we expect ice dancers to have the best skating skills and the best interpretation). I definitely expect 8s and possibly low 9s for the winner of the ice dance OGM.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I think in the TES they can, but in PCS? No.

I agree with this statement. Although....GOE is sort of a subjective score and may also not be entirely comparable between competitions. A good spin is a good spin, but what if excellent spinners like Irina, Sasha or Alissa compete individually in an event with a field of mediocre-to-poor spinners? It would stand to reason that the judges, based upon what they seeing and are comparing on the ice at this particular competition, would be inclined to more highly reward this obvious difference in skill. Now, put all of these great spinners in the same competition together.....what happens to GOE scores then (assuming that all these skaters perform these elements to their fullest potential)? Am I just completely talking out of my a$% here, or does anyone else not look at it in the same way? :biggrin:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
I agree with this statement. Although....GOE is sort of a subjective score and may also not be entirely comparable between competitions. A good spin is a good spin, but what if excellent spinners like Irina, Sasha or Alissa compete individually in an event with a field of mediocre-to-poor spinners? It would stand to reason that the judges, based upon what they seeing and are comparing on the ice at this particular competition, would be inclined to more highly reward this obvious difference in skill. Now, put all of these great spinners in the same competition together.....what happens to GOE scores then (assuming that all these skaters perform these elements to their fullest potential)? Am I just completely talking out of my a$% here, or does anyone else not look at it in the same way? :biggrin:

I think my first attempt at a reply vanished into cyberspace. So I'll keep it more brief in my second attempt - ITA with your perspective, and find nothing wrong with it in terms of the overall issue of how this sport is judged these days. You can't turn a sport that involves subjectivity into a cut and dry "horse race." Heck, even in a racing sport, the "time" on one day does not guarantee the SAME "time" in the next race. Even in the most objective sports out there, there are still things like weather conditions, track conditions, etc. to contend with, and "head to head" competition and pressure to contend with.

DG

CDMM1991

Medalist
BronzeisGolden said:

That's true, but at least you could compare the base values.

orchid

On the Ice
Although the judges are supposed to and should base their scores on one skater's performance, I do believe the judges will be cautious, perhaps stingy with high scores.

I imagine the winner to be only points, perhaps tenth's, hundredth's of a point apart from the runners-up.

euterpe

Medalist
Have you forgotten the Russian Sweep? All of the top Russian skaters/Teams will get very high PCS scores. In the GP, Navka/Kostomarov are already getting 9s in the judges' raw scores. Irina is getting high 8s and those will become 9s in Torino. So far, Totmianina/Marinin are still only getting 7s but if the Chinese surge technically, T/M's scores could go up into the 8s. And of course Plushy has always received the highest PCS scores of all the men.