Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Men's Free Skate

Custom Title

Congrats to Chiper

WOW

OK, I might be living in Canada for 11 years, but the rest of 33 I used to live in Romania! So I am rooting for Romanians whenever is possible....that beeing said, in Skating is such a rare occurence!

I have never seen Chiper, so I am thrilled that being 3rd, he most likely will be shown on TV this time around.

Herios

Quote Originally Posted by herios
    I have never seen Chiper, so I am thrilled that being 3rd, he most likely will be shown on TV this time around.
    Yes, if they show 5 men they will probably chack Contesti.

good for you Herios. That is my point in discussing cultural bias. The US and Canada are a mixed bag of cultures and fans of any kind of sports and entertainment take on diverse views. Just how many fans of Jeffrey Buttle will one find in Bucharest?

Joe

Chiper always had good moments but it seems this time they are working for the whole package. Good for him.

So who is closest to Plushenko now: Buttle or Joubert??

The Americans had trouble with their long programs. duh!

For the grand prix final the americans must look to Evan Lysacek.

Joe

Banned
    It looks like Joubert skated alot better than he did at Skate America where he was disaesterous and embarassing effort. Good to see him skating somewhat better. Buttle will beat him with his more complete skating every time though unless Joubert hits all his jumps, including his quads and quad-triple.

Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    It looks like Joubert skated alot better than he did at Skate America where he was disaesterous and embarassing effort. Good to see him skating somewhat better. Buttle will beat him with his more complete skating every time though unless Joubert hits all his jumps, including his quads and quad-triple.
    Buttle had a disasterous long program at Skate Canada. What held him up there and probably gave him gold here is that intricate program which he skates well to.

Joubert does need the quad(s).

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Buttle had a disasterous long program at Skate Canada.
    Joe
    So had he here.
    NO quad (had a splat on it), NO 3axel (stepped out of the first, popped the second). NO 3/3. Still did he get about the same technical score than Brian who hit a quad, a 3axel, a 3/3.
    I'm more than fed up with the CoP !!!
    Last edited by Mehdi; 11-19-2005 at 12:57 PM.

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    Oh my! that's messed up Mehdi! Tsk tsk, I hope they get this straightened out.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Chiper is SUCH an outstanding skater. His programs have always been some of the best in the world. Now he's finally pulled it all together

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    I definitely look forward to seeing this Chipper fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi
    So had he here.
    NO quad (had a splat on it), NO 3axel (stepped out of the first, popped the second). NO 3/3. Still did he get about the same technical score than Brian who hit a quad, a 3axel, a 3/3.
    I'm more than fed up with the CoP !!!
    Mehdi - It was that bad.... I think Buttle needs to give the medal to David Wilson.

What happens to Brian and the PCS scores?

Joe

Custom Title
    That's great for Ghorgi, I haven't seen him on American TV in 4-5 years! Looking forward to seeing him again. I always cheer for the guys who stick around and work hard.

Buttle got lucky again. There's something wrong when a world silver medalist can't produce a required element. I felt the same way when Mike Weiss won the US Nationals (wasn't it the 2002?.

I am sorry I just don't like his skating (apart from spinning). I am sorry, you have to be able to do a 3 axel - and more often I see a splat from him. Of course I will reserve my final opinion till I see the program but in the meantime I am very disappointed for Brian. Just seems to me Jeff gets held up a lot.

Yana

Jeff & Joubert

Another one of those, sort of, "best of the worst" things, at least on paper.

Brian, known for his strength in jumping more than non-jump elements got credit (for better and worse) for 4T, 3A, 3F/3T, 3Z, 2A/1T, 3R, 3S, 3F. The "net" GOE for all of this was +.34 if my math is right. Noticeably absent for the "jump" guy was a 3 jump combo, and only 2 combos in total when 3 are allowed. And of course the 2A/1T stands out.

Brian's non-jump elements (where at least I sort of expect him to be a bit weaker) were 4 L3's, 1 L2, and 1L1. + GOE of 1.1 for all of them combined.

Jeff, known for his strength in non-jumps had 3 L4's, 2 L3's and 1 L2. Higher base, and net + GOE of 2.9 for that.

Not a good Jeff day for jumps. He got credit for 4T, 3A/2T SEQ, 3Z/2T/2R, 1A, 3R, 3Z, 3F, 3S/2T. He fell on the 4T and had a major issue on the sequence, the 1A and some sort of problem on the 3F, netting out a total GOE for jumps of -5.9, which includes the additional 1pt deduction for the fall.

So...while I totally agree that it's disappointing to see a Men's gold medal given for that sort of craptacular jump performance, it's even sadder to me that the "jumper" didn't bring it on either. If Brian is going to rely so heavily on jumping prowess to win, he needs to get a little more prowess going on I think.

And at the same time, I hope Buttle figures out what jumps he CAN do well, and starts just doing those. Including a nicely done 3A.

DG

But even so, it was the program components that won it for Jeff (75.30 to 71.80 in PCS, mid to high sevens vs mid to low sevens). IMHO Brian just must get better music and choreography before the Olympics. Copy Plushenko, not Yagudin. (Buttle, on the other hand, can do a passable Yags and get away with it.)

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    But even so, it was the program components that won it for Jeff (75.30 to 71.80 in PCS, mid to high sevens vs mid to low sevens). IMHO Brian just must get better music and choreography before the Olympics. Copy Plushenko, not Yagudin. (Buttle, on the other hand, can do a passable Yags and get away with it.)

MM
    Very true on the PCS/TES (my point was more about jumps / non-jumps and all that yada yada...). I while I would LOVE to start seeing some men's gold medals going to men who do 2 clean (or very close to clean) performances, I don't argue this one either, at least not according to the score sheets. Buttle deserves his PCS for what he accomplishes that is so musical (TO the music) in his programs. That timing has to be incredibly difficult v. doing difficult things with music in the background. (Sorry Yagbert, you're included in that group).

Brian needs to stop the whining, and learn how to work the system in front of him. He "whines" that the quad should be worth more. That is one element of his 14, and he did not even do THAT one element cleanly today. If he's pinning his excellence on one quad, then IMO he should put his money where his mouth is, and at least do a clean one. OOPS. Am I being particularly hard on him ONLY because he's the top contender for Rusty Hanger awards so far this year????? I might be exhibiting bias here.

DG

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast