Ladies Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate

Rgirl said:
Seriously, I appreciate your correctioons...
Mathman said:
"Corrections."
(signed) GKelly's apprentice.
:rofl: I'm impossible! :rofl:

1. Correctioon
Noun Definition Cartoons that correctly show the ways of the world.
Example Having Bugs Bunny run around in a bra and panties while being chased by Elmer Fudd is a correctioon.

Rgirl

MissCleo

On the Ice
Someone was asking about Shiz's LP music this year. I just learned how to play most of it. It is the Fantasy Impromptu by Chopin. Chopin may have very well just orcestrated and lengthened it to make it into a piano concerto. It confused me the first time I watched her skate because I knew that it wasnt exactly the 1st piano concerto. I remembered as soon as I started to practice the piano the next day.

gezando

Final Flight
cleopatra20042004 said:
Someone was asking about Shiz's LP music this year. I just learned how to play most of it. It is the Fantasy Impromptu by Chopin. Chopin may have very well just orcestrated and lengthened it to make it into a piano concerto. It confused me the first time I watched her skate because I knew that it wasnt exactly the 1st piano concerto. I remembered as soon as I started to practice the piano the next day.

I rewatched Arakawa's lp again, and I am humbly correctly, it is not a symphonic version of Chopin's PC 1, and agree with :rock: cleopatra, it is a symphonic version of Fantasia Impromptu.
BTW, how can they claim that it is a piano concerto without the piano?

Anyways, I still think all the poetic, and lyricism of this solo piece of piano music are deleted by orchestrating it. OTOH, solo piano music is difficult to skate to. Sarah Hughes, and Kristi are some of the skaters who had used Fantasia impromptu original version.

So Rgirl, I was wrong about Chopin PC 1 for Arakawa, and glad you are enjoying the real Chopin PC 1. BTW, Lori did a nice job in choreotraphing Fumie's 03 sp from Chopin PC 2.

Indeed Lutoslawski, and Brahms were among the many composers borrowing Paganini's theme from his caprice 24. Glad you had a nice time. Hope you earned $$$$$ from it too.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I really don't think Asada will end up going to the OLYs. After all, I'm pretty sure now that Belbin and Agosto won't be going.

This thread is super! A big thank you to everyone who contributed their insights and expertise. :agree:

mzheng

Record Breaker
deweystu said:
:scratch:

This I'm going to have to see with my own eyes to believe it.

Arakawa has a small lead ahead of Cohen. But Cohen, IMO, lovely as she skated, but too much wanky landing in her jumps. Not sure if she had the same problem in her landing before her injury. Have to wait it aired.

gkelly

Record Breaker
gezando said:
Sarah Hughes, and Kristi are some of the skaters who had used Fantasia impromptu original version.

I don't remember Kristi using it -- was it one of her many pro programs?

Irina Slutskaya and Lucinda Ruh also used it for short programs in the mid-90s. Did Meno & Sand also? I'm remembering that vaguely.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Rgirl,

How could you forget the other Japanese powerhouse, Miki Ando????? We haven't even SEEN her yet this season and she will be in the last two GP competitions. She could very well make us more satisfied with waiting for Asada to come of age. I think Shiz is a sure thing for the second of three Japanese ladies slots (with Ando).

JOHIO2

Medalist
gezando said:
BTW, how can they claim that it is a piano concerto without the piano?
Answer: because that is the way the music world recognizes the music - by it's original title! :rock:

Gezando said:
Indeed Lutoslawski, and Brahms were among the many composers borrowing Paganini's theme from his caprice 24. Glad you had a nice time. Hope you earned $$$$$ from it too.
A whopping $500 bucks for eight weeks' work, LOL. Ah, the swanky life of a modern dance choreographer.:laugh: But indeed, I loved it.
Rgirl

JOHIO2 said:
Rgirl,
How could you forget the other Japanese powerhouse, Miki Ando????? We haven't even SEEN her yet this season and she will be in the last two GP competitions. She could very well make us more satisfied with waiting for Asada to come of age. I think Shiz is a sure thing for the second of three Japanese ladies slots (with Ando).
How could I forget Miki Ando? In another post, I forgot that Sarah, Tara, and Oksana were NOT in their first year of senior competition when they won their OGMs!!! I'm expecting that any minute now I'm going to forget Ilia Kulik's Olympic LP shirt!

Just joshin' with you, JOHIO, but I have been incredibly forgetful lately. I forget why, LOL.

Anyway, leaving Ando out of the list was in no way intended to impugn Ando's talents. I just plain forgot.

And you are absolutely right. Miki could very well perform at her powerhouse best, make us okay with waiting for Asada to come of age, and also put the fear of Miki in the boots of the US ladies.

Once again, my bad.

Rgirl, unless I forgot who I am

JOHIO2 said:
:laugh: And yet, you can remember the $$$. Selective amnesia???? :scratch:
My long term memory is good. I was commissioned to do that piece piece of choreography for $500 in 1984.

It's my short term memory that's been leaving me lately. Not unusual in cognitive dysfunction, whatever the heck the reason is for mine.:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Rgirl

JOHIO2

Medalist
Rgirl,

when you figure it out, please let me know. Maybe that's the reason my memory is going. Now, what were we talking about again?????

rain

Record Breaker
Just got to see this on CBC (Canada). Here are my thoughts:

My first look at Cohen this season and I have to say, in spite of the retreaded music I thought it was beautiful. What she needs to work on: cleaning up the jumps - no two-footing the landings and, of course, no falls. Also, I thought her spins looked uncharacteristically slow, as was her overall speed. Possibly this is because this was really her first serious competition of the season. Overall though, I really hope she has a good performance and medals at the Olympics. Her beautiful positions are still there, her attention to the details of the music and her expression to it from the tips of her toes to her fingertips is, quite simply, exquisite. Seeing her here reminded me again why I love watching her skate so much.

Not to quibble with the results here, but I found Mao to be overmarked. Her presentation is just no there yet. She does not feel her music and looks somewhat robotic in consequence. That said, her jumps were undeniably beautiful, and her spin positions lovely. Her one-handed Beilmann is pretty much the only Beillman I've enjoyed watching all year. She needs to work on footwork, IMO, but mostly just relating to her music.

Arakawa: lovely skater, as always. Found the program somewhat forgettable, however.

Rochette: I think she beautifully. With this top group, one really notices that she does still need some work on her spin and spiral positions - back flexibillity specifically.

JOHIO2 said:
Rgirl,When you figure it out, please let me know. Maybe that's the reason my memory is going. Now, what were we talking about again?????
:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Rgirl

PS: I think we were talking about the boy I liked in third grade.:love:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rain said:
Just got to see this on CBC (Canada). Here are my thoughts:

Not to quibble with the results here, but I found Mao to be overmarked. Her presentation is just no there yet. She does not feel her music and looks somewhat robotic in consequence. That said, her jumps were undeniably beautiful, and her spin positions lovely. Her one-handed Beilmann is pretty much the only Beillman I've enjoyed watching all year. She needs to work on footwork, IMO, but mostly just relating to her music..
Rain, I agree. Mao is very good but she is not YET, Sasha, Irina, Michelle or Shizuka, nor is Kimmie.

Dee

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha, Mao, Shizuka, Kimmie

It's so nice to see a postive post about Sasha (Rain's). I agree with it completely. Although, I think she has slowed down deliberately so she doesn't lose control of her spins, lose her edge or fall on an easy move. She has clearly slowed down, but her postions, stretch and grace remain the same-exquisite. Shizuka has a wonderful presence on the ice and the way she moves across it with her deep edges is really beautiful. She isn't throwing away the finer points of her program, which I think is wonderful. Mao is an amazing jumper but she still looks very "young" out on the ice. Kimmie is slightly more mature looking on the ice but still has a ways to go.