Will you be happy if the Gold Medalists in Turin are all Russian? | Golden Skate

Will you be happy if the Gold Medalists in Turin are all Russian?

If the winners in Turin were Russian, would you be happy?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • No way!

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I'd respect it but wouldn't like it.

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • I'd be a little happy for the skaters but would be happier if the winners were my favorites.

Votes: 26 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anya_angie

Final Flight
I was just curious and thought I'd post this. I know a few casual observers of the sport who can't stand anyone who's not American, especially Russians. So if the winners in Turin were, say, Irina, Navka/Kostmarov, Totmianina/Marinin, and Plushenko, would you be upset?

Germanice

On the Ice
Strange, with the exception of Irina I've no favourite eligible Russian skater yet, but I still voted for "Hell, yes!" .... :p

Otoh I would prefer Shen & Zhao, Johnny & DelShoe's to take the Gold! :agree:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
None of the choices seem to apply to my opinion. I hope that all the medals in Turin are won by the skaters / pairs who deserve them, period.

My only "selfish" hope is that everyone shows up with their A game, and it's one heck of a nail biting competition, regardless of what countries the medal winners are from.

DG

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Personally, I hope the best skate wins, no matter what country they are from (as if that'll ever happen in all events ;) ) But that being said, I'm hoping the best skate in men's is Jeff Buttle lol. So yeh, I don't want all russia to win, I'd like Canada on the golden podium too... As small of chance of it happening that is...And as far as that goes, I'd love to see Denkova/Staviyski with gold as well ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I have my favorites, may the best skaters win in each discipline. May they all have fantastic performances, and may the judging be fair and square!

For men's, I wouldn't mind seeing a guy from France on the podium. Or an American lady (of Chinese ancestry, LOL.)

anya_angie

Final Flight
Knock on wood! Let's hope that everyone skates their best, and that no controversy come up.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I would be certianly upset if Plushenko does not get the gold. The only way he won't get it is if he cannot skate his best, and it will be really sad for him not to have the OGM.

In pairs, I would love to see Shen & Zhao. I do believe they are the best, and it would likewise be sad to have them only have 2 World Golds and one Olympic Bronze to their career. OTOH, I do like T&M, and will be happy for them if they win.

In both Dance and Ladies I like the Russian skaters, but do not necessarily think they must win. I like Irina, but won't mind if Shizuka or Michelle win. Since N&K are likely to win no matter what, I can only hope they really put forth the best skate they can possibly pull of their mediocre program to justify the win.

anya_angie

Final Flight
It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who will be happy if Plushenko wins.

screech

Final Flight
If they skate the best of everyone, even though they aren't my favourites, I'd be happy for them if they truly deserved it. Not if it was just handing the medals to them because of who they are, but if they truly and honestly deserve it. Would I want it to be a Russian sweep? No. I'd love for Shen/Zhao to win the pairs, Sasha to win the ladies, and for Jeff or Emanuel to win the mens. The only Russians I would really kinda 'want' to see win are Navka/Kostomarov, because I think that they truly *are* the best amateur ice dancers right now, and there is a reason for their being almost unbeatable. But if someone like Dubreil/Lauzon for some reason or another snuck up there, I'd be giddy (after recovering from my heart attack).

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I'm resigned to N&K winning in ice dance, basically because I can't think of anyone who could beat them. (I'm tired of the Russian school of ice dance.) I suppose I'll be happy. I don't have any other team I'm really hot on, anyway.

I would, for sentiment, prefer to see Michelle Kwan win, unlikely as that may be. If Irina really outskates everyone it would be nice to see her win just because she's "old." However I don't really want to see her held up. (Naive, aren't I?)

Mens: I have no preference. (Except, kinda, not Johnny Weir. He leaves me utterly cold.)

Pairs: Please, God, I know their government is like the new USSR, but please, please, please let Shen and Zhao win. Not just because they're amazing, not just in how they skate but in how far they've come, but I just want someone who's NOT RUSSIAN to win the pairs event.

(And no, I suspect my passive-aggressive animosity is not so much related to my being American as it is to my being an American of recent Polish-Ukrainian extraction, second-generation American on my father's side, third on my mother's. We don't like Russians. Half the reason we're here is because we had to get away from the Russians. There's inbred resentment.)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I, too, hope that whoever wins deserves it. I don't want to see anyone coast by undeservedly on favorite status. If they are all Russians and skate like Olympic Champions, then I will be pleased.

But, here are my wishes :biggrin: :

MEN: I'd love to see Plushenko win. To me, he is still the all-around best male skater in the world. He has a presence that the others haven't developed yet, IMO. But, if for some reason he can't be at the top of the podium, I'd like to see Buttle win (with a CLEAN performance).

PAIRS: I would be ecstatic if Shen & Zhao could win. To me, they have something that no one else can even come close to touching. T&M have developed quite nicely over the past few seasons and I quite like them now, but they still don't have that S&Z "it".

DANCE: I am now only learning about Ice Dance, but I quite like N&K. I enjoy their performances. I would be very happy to see them win..........well, them, or B&A.

LADIES: Surprise! I'd love to see Michelle win. She has worked so hard and given so much over the years....it would be truly special if she could end her career with an Olympic victory. But, I'll honestly be happy just to see her compete and hopefully give a set of Olympic performances that she can always remember with joy. If she can't win, then I'd like to see Irina with Gold.

Whoever wins, I just hope there is a big judging scandal to keep the sport going for the next four years. :biggrin:

nicole_l

Final Flight
I'll be upset if Plushenko doesn't win. There really needs to be a Shen & Zhao / Totmianina & Marinin showdown in Turino or I'll be disappointed. And really, two quality performances by S&Z beat T&M any day. I'm not going to lie, I really want Michelle Kwan to win. I'm not a huge Irina fan but if she won it would be OK because she's a great skater and I can respect that. I think it's obvious that without B&A to challenge Navka & Kostomorov they're going to win. I don't really like their style but that doesn't mean they shouldn't win.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My dream podiums would be:
Goebel, Wiess, and Wier
Kwan, Czizny, Liang
I/B, S/Z, the Polish pair
B/A, C/S, W/L

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Piel said:
My dream podiums would be:
Goebel, Wiess, and Wier
Kwan, Czizny, Liang
I/B, S/Z, the Polish pair
B/A, C/S, W/L

Are C/S Chait/Shaknovsky? Also are W/L Wing/Lowe? I think that is who you mean, but just making sure.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Are C/S Chait/Shaknovsky? Also are W/L Wing/Lowe? I think that is who you mean, but just making sure.

Yes
Guess who's going to be very disappointed with the Olympics? With Kwan injured the only other ladies I can bear to see at the top of the podium are Csizney, Liang, or Fumie. If ladies skating is not pretty to watch I would just as soon watch curling.

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I'd like to see

Ladies

Sasha USA
Irina RUS
Alissa USA

Men

Stephane Lambiel Swiss
Evgeni RUS
Matt Savoie USA

Dance
B&A or Dubreil & Lauzon USA or CAN
Chait & Sakhnovsky ISR
Gregory & Petukhov USA

Pairs

Totmianina & Marinin RUS
Petrova & Tikhonov RUS
Obertas & Slavnov ?

So I'm rooting for at least 5 singles, pairs, and dance teams that are russian.

Kasey

Medalist
None of them fit my sentiments. I want the winners to be indisputable, inarguably the best of the best at that competition. Nationality doesn't matter. My favorites, doesn't matter. If my favorites don't do their best, they should not deserve to win if someone else does better, regardless of nationality or reputation.