Irina Slutskaya will win in Torino | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya will win in Torino

R.D.

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
At this point, Michelle winning [the Olympics] would be a major, major upset.

Yes. I actually (gasp) agree here! Well, I wouldn't call it a MAJOR upset, though- although it would be a surprise to many skating fans.

Enero

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Here's to hoping for an upset, like the past two Olys. :rock:

Well then here's to Fumie!
She had an awesome skate at Japan Nationals, and earlier today I rewatched her performance at 2004 Worlds. It was wonderful. She skated with a lot confidence and fire. If she has similar performances at the Olympics, I don't know, you may get your wish. ;)

cmego500

Rinkside
Enero said:
She had an awesome skate at Japan Nationals, and earlier today I rewatched her performance at 2004 Worlds. It was wonderful. She skated with a lot confidence and fire. If she has similar performances at the Olympics, I don't know, you may get your wish. ;)

I truly like Fumie as a person but her skating doesn't do it for me. In order for her to win any medal, she really has to have the skate of a lifetime and skate with a lot of passion and without any fears.

I'm still hopeful that Michele will snap into the world class athlete she is and finally win that OGM. I believe that if both Michele and Irina skated their best, Michele would win it because she's the complete package unlike Irina who is a great jumper (Ugly entrances and exits) and who can do a well Biellman <sp?> spin but everything else is garbage. She doesn't have nice lines on the ice and a lot of the time i feel as though her presentation marks are wayyyyy over-inflated because whenever i see her skate, i never feel any kind of story or anything behind it..

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Enero said:

Unfortunately I think that it is rather unlikely that Suguri would have the same quality skate in the Olympics. She had to go all out to manage it, because of the tough competition. Something like that rarely happen twice in the same season. Actually I think that Arakawa has more chances for the win (or a medal) in the Olympics, as she did not put her best performance in the Nationals.

slutskayafan21 said:
Ok you are right, but do you think the U.S media/announcers/insiders would treat it as a major upset if it happened?
Does it matter what the US media treats their stories? Does the Russian media treat Irina differently than other national skaters?

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
You'd better believe the Russian media treats Irina different from the other skaters! Irina is much bigger in Russia than Kwan is in the US. She is a megasuperstar, especially now that she is the OGM favorite.

S

SkateFan4Life

It was a bit shocking to see Irina make a mistake in her GP final short program and ultimately finish second, and not first, in the final standings.

However, I was really impressed with her competitive attitude - her smile, the joy she showed on her face - and the way she attacked her jumps.

She's going to be primed for the gold, make no mistake about it! :biggrin:

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
You'd better believe the Russian media treats Irina different from the other skaters! Irina is much bigger in Russia than Kwan is in the US. She is a megasuperstar, especially now that she is the OGM favorite.
Yet, no Kwaniacs whinning why Michelle does not earn some ruble or some endorsment from Russian enterprice. :cool:

Watch out Shizuka, Sasha, Ando, they had not had a skate remotely to the Lifetime skate this season yet....they might as well deliver at big O.

Last edited by a moderator: