Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 211

Thread: Irina Slutskaya will win in Torino

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,053
    IMO, too much can happen between now and Olys to make predicutions -- and what the skate gods might do to keep too many predictions from coming true doesn't bear thinking about. I also think that the pressure might get to Irina in Torino, as it did in SLC; I think that things in Moscow (family, friends, all the people who love her no matter what the judges say, and the comeback story of the century) gave her an "immunity" to the pressure, but since the Oly host country has a contender for the OGM of its own, I don't think Irina will have the same "help" in Italy that she had in Moscow.

  2. #17
    Custom Title luvsasha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    You need to take another look at the score sheets, especially before you comment about Sasha's technical arsenal. I won't get into spoilers, but just take a look at the top ladies LP base values for the GP events held so far this season. Who knows how any of these ladies will skate in the future. Just look at the facts in hand.

    DG
    You are awesome! i took another look and there was only like 2 points!!!!

  3. #18
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    attyfan ... short of Irina's health turning bad once again (and I definitely do not want to see that happen), I see no way she will lose.
    Her PCS are steadily going up and could easily be in the 9's by Euros. So even if she does make a few mistakes, her PCS would come down to the high 7's/low 8's ... still clearly ahead of everyone else at their best. It's a slam dunk for her.

    In some ways, this is quite liberating for me as a Kwan fan. I entertain absolutely no thoughts of gold for MK in Torino. I am just praying for two great programs and hopefully a place on the podium. But even if not, just seeing her compete well and be happy would be a very fitting way for her to close out her eligible career.

  4. #19
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by luvsasha
    You are awesome! i took another look and there was only like 2 points!!!!
    I'm not awesome, but IMO the score sheets sure are!! To me anyway, the score sheets provide at least a bit of factual grounding in the midst of what often feels to me like :banging: .

    Enjoy!!

  5. #20
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by nymkfan51
    attyfan ... short of Irina's health turning bad once again (and I definitely do not want to see that happen), I see no way she will lose.
    Her PCS are steadily going up and could easily be in the 9's by Euros. So even if she does make a few mistakes, her PCS would come down to the high 7's/low 8's ... still clearly ahead of everyone else at their best. It's a slam dunk for her.

    In some ways, this is quite liberating for me as a Kwan fan. I entertain absolutely no thoughts of gold for MK in Torino. I am just praying for two great programs and hopefully a place on the podium. But even if not, just seeing her compete well and be happy would be a very fitting way for her to close out her eligible career.
    Irina has the strongest PCS scores of the season for far, that's a fact. But where are you getting that her PCS scores are steadily going up? She had an awesome skate at World's, in particular the LP. Her total PCS for SP+LP was 96.41. COC was the first international competition since World's. She had an awesome SP, and a solid LP (IMO). Her PCS for SP+LP was 95.32. Yes, very close to her combined PCS at World's. But certainly not what I would say is "steadily going up." That looks more to me like "holding pretty steady since World's, to the best that can be assessed from one international competition since then."

    I understand the very subjective nature of fandom, and to the particular degree that judging is subjective. But Geez. Some of this stuff just goes beyond what actual facts seem to support in my opinion.

    DG

  6. #21
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    You need to take another look at the score sheets, especially before you comment about Sasha's technical arsenal. I won't get into spoilers, but just take a look at the top ladies LP base values for the GP events held so far this season. Who knows how any of these ladies will skate in the future. Just look at the facts in hand.

    DG
    I'll take a look at them and report back (in the TEB forum). But seriously, Cohen does not have the 3-3s or the consistency to compete against the top. It's like Kwan all over again- if someone raises their technical game at the OLYs (and lands it all), Cohen WILL get burned no matter how she does (OK, maybe if she tears the roof off). This is JMO.

  7. #22
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Actually, I had expected Irina to win the gold medal at Salt Lake City, based on her excellent fall 2001 season. And she came darned near to winning the gold, even with a flawed long program. Her "Tosca" had several awkward moments, and she received marks that were extremely generous, in my opinion.

    Unless she falls three times, comes down with the flu, or forgets her program elements, she'll win the gold medal.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    902

    Irina

    Irina at Salt Lake skated a sloppy program and deserved to be behind Michelle. The Olympics are a whole new ball game and it remains to be seen how she will hold up. But I agree, the judges are overmarking her already and setting her up for a win, short of a complete meltdown.

  9. #24
    Minority member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I'll take a look at them and report back (in the TEB forum). But seriously, Cohen does not have the 3-3s or the consistency to compete against the top. It's like Kwan all over again- if someone raises their technical game at the OLYs (and lands it all), Cohen WILL get burned no matter how she does (OK, maybe if she tears the roof off). This is JMO.
    So which lady(ies) at the top currently has a 3/3? And would you say those with 3/3(s) will beat out Kwan/Cohen with no 3/3(s) fairly?

  10. #25
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    Irina at Salt Lake skated a sloppy program and deserved to be behind Michelle. The Olympics are a whole new ball game and it remains to be seen how she will hold up. But I agree, the judges are overmarking her already and setting her up for a win, short of a complete meltdown.
    Irina is no longer sloppy. She is very cautious - every element in her program is carefully executed. She is unlikely to fall, but will the program flow?

    I'm one for a flowing program but some judges don't care about that as much as they care about a clean routine. What Irina has, imo, is a clean routine and command on the ice. The lack of balletic line is not a factor. I don't see 'command on the ice' in Sasha or Shizuka at the present time but both of them have balletic line 100 per cent over Irina.

    Joe

  11. #26
    Minority member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I'm one for a flowing program but some judges don't care about that as much as they care about a clean routine. What Irina has, imo, is a clean routine and command on the ice. The lack of balletic line is not a factor. I don't see 'command on the ice' in Sasha or Shizuka at the present time but both of them have balletic line 100 per cent over Irina.

    Joe
    ITA. If your looking for a flowing program from Irina watch her current SP, she goes from element to element with absolutely no effort.
    Although a lot of people liked her last year's SP, I didn't. Her current SP is superb, magical and just so damn exciting to watch. But her LP program, very different for her, still needs WORK.

  12. #27
    Hopeless fan Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Irina is no longer sloppy. She is very cautious - every element in her program is carefully executed. She is unlikely to fall, but will the program flow?

    I'm one for a flowing program but some judges don't care about that as much as they care about a clean routine. What Irina has, imo, is a clean routine and command on the ice. The lack of balletic line is not a factor. I don't see 'command on the ice' in Sasha or Shizuka at the present time but both of them have balletic line 100 per cent over Irina.

    Joe
    Wow. I sort of have the opposite opinion. I really like Shiz's overall "style" (in my own subjective department) over Irina's, if Shiz would just LET GO and SKATE. She strikes me as the cautious one in each performance SP & LP I've seen of hers so far this year. But I think her programs have great potential, and I really hope she's a serious contendor by Oly's. And I believe she could be.

    Irina skating with caution??? I would say Irina's LP at COC was a bit on the cautious side, but her SP???? I know much if this is in the eye of the beholder..... I think maybe we "behold" differently. But that's what makes this sport interesting!

    DG

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    I must have been on the phone when Irina skated that "exciting" SP at CoC. Honest, I just didn't get the excitement. It was powerful and fast-yes. Maybe that's exciting to some people, but not to me. I have a problem with powerful, fast skating that lacks connection to the music. But that's just me again.

    Her LP bores me to tears. I liked her Worlds' LP far better. She just doesn't get the music no matter how many times she says she "feels" it. I realize that Irina is "da bomb" right now, but I certainly hope things change because, quite frankly, I don't want to see someone win who "racks" up points based on powerful jumps, fast skating, 1000 Biellman positions and no flow. And this is said by someone who really did like Irina and her skating until COP came along and she started playing catch foot.

    I don't think Sasha stands a chance of winning OGM. I don't think Kwan stands a chance of medaling (but there's always hope) because of her injury this year.

    I, personally, think Irina's set up to win the OGM. That it's hers. And that she could only land 3 jumps, everyone else skate great, and still win.

  14. #29
    Minority member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by realistic51
    I must have been on the phone when Irina skated that "exciting" SP at CoC. Honest, I just didn't get the excitement. It was powerful and fast-yes. Maybe that's exciting to some people, but not to me. I have a problem with powerful, fast skating that lacks connection to the music. But that's just me again.

    Her LP bores me to tears. I liked her Worlds' LP far better. She just doesn't get the music no matter how many times she says she "feels" it. I realize that Irina is "da bomb" right now, but I certainly hope things change because, quite frankly, I don't want to see someone win who "racks" up points based on powerful jumps, fast skating, 1000 Biellman positions and no flow. And this is said by someone who really did like Irina and her skating until COP came along and she started playing catch foot.

    I don't think Sasha stands a chance of winning OGM. I don't think Kwan stands a chance of medaling (but there's always hope) because of her injury this year.

    I, personally, think Irina's set up to win the OGM. That it's hers. And that she could only land 3 jumps, everyone else skate great, and still win.
    Different strokes for different folks. In the eyes of the judges currently she has the SP program to beat, and I tend to agree with that.
    Whether Irina will be "held up" by the judges in Torino remains to be seen. You'd think some people would use Moscow as a backdrop when forming such conclusion as "Irina will in Torino no matter what".
    I know the best-skater will walk away with the gold medal in Torino, the integrity of skating depends on it.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Excidra2001
    Different strokes for different folks. In the eyes of the judges currently she has the SP program to beat, and I tend to agree with that.
    Whether Irina will be "held up" by the judges in Torino remains to be seen. You'd think some people would use Moscow as a backdrop when forming such conclusion as "Irina will in Torino no matter what".
    I know the best-skater will walk away with the gold medal in Torino, the integrity of skating depends on it.
    Well, IMO, if ppl use Moscow as the backdrop then ppl wont talk about Irina being 'held up' by the judges if judge place her first as long as she stays on her feet in SP (since I quoted the post talk about the SP) at Turino, no matter what others skates.....backdrop or stage whatever you call it, the case already being made precedence.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •