Most Memorable Skating Shows! | Golden Skate

Most Memorable Skating Shows!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Looking back at the shows I've been to, the most memorable one for me was COI in 1992, right after the Olympics. It was a thrill to see so many of my favs, especially Paul Wylie. Always the underdog, the arena erupted in applause and a standing ovation when he took the ice, in fact, it was a full five minutes before the noise level got to a point where he was actually able to hear his music to skate..............any other memories? 42

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I have a few!

I really liked the 2002 and 2003 Champions on Ice shows! It was so cool seeing Michelle Kwan, AP McDonough, and all of my favorites skaters! They look even better live than on TV!

Antilles

Medalist
There was one that I saw on TV. I beleive it was called "Skate the Dream". It was a benefit dedicated to the memory of Rob McCall. It was very moving.

dmr65

On the Ice
Hi, it's me, Ice88 Using my old FSW user name.. :p

Well, I have to say the 2001 COI tour... I traveled to Chicago Illinos to see that show, and enjoyed every minute. The whole experience from leaving my home, taking the bus to Ill, staying in the hotel, going to the show alone in a nice new rented care, enjoying what I seen on ice seat and watching B&S skate was the best..

Denise...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well in 1989 when I was just turning 4 I saw my first ice show(my Aunt used me as the excuse to go to Disney on Ice to see Scott Hamilton) and I remember watching Scott skate while a radio talked... I've been a fan ever since...

also in 1999 the whole experience of going to an ice show and being old enough to understand it and seeing some of my favorites(and catching my first glimpse of Steven Cousins UP CLOSE mmmmmmmmmm) that totally renewed my love of the sport... *sigh*

TaraFanatic4eva

Rinkside
I think mine would have to be this years, 2003 COI. As much as I treasure seeing Tara skate live every time, this year was my first COI trip. I loved to get to see so many of the amature nad the worlds best skaters. I had great seats too, and I was just awed. Also, getting backstage at the very end was a very special bonus!!

heyang

Record Breaker
I have 2 most memorable at this time.

1st - Celebration of Life: Grinkov Memorial. I was fortunate and able to see it live - my very 1st live show. The clips of the skaters speaking of Sergei were so touching, as they spoke of the man, husband, father and skater. Also, the hush of the audience when Katia stepped on the ice for her 1st solo performance and the applause that followed. I cannot imagine the emotions she must have felt in performing without the physical presence of Sergei - yet feeling the support of his spirit and the embrace of the audience.

2nd - This year's COI performance of Candeloro. I'm really not a fan of his, but his performance to Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American during the onset of the War against Iraq and the bad feelings between France and the US was surprising and electric. His was the only standing ovation of the show.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
heyang........I have that tribute on tape, and watch it at least once a year. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes, even after all these years..........42

NanSinger2

On the Ice
TaraFanatic4eva said:
I think mine would have to be this years, 2003 COI. As much as I treasure seeing Tara skate live every time, this year was my first COI trip. I loved to get to see so many of the amature nad the worlds best skaters. I had great seats too, and I was just awed. Also, getting backstage at the very end was a very special bonus!!

I'm so jealous! I had tickets but the OKC show was cancelled! :mad: