What is the best baseball movie? | Golden Skate

What is the best baseball movie?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dad and I have been discussing this for weeks. (yes we have no life) and so I pose the question to you.

What movie do you say is the best baseball film of all time?

"A League of Their Own"? "Field of Dreams"? what?

Antilles

Medalist
There are a lot of good baseball movies, so it's hard to choose just one. Eight Men Out is well done, and such a sad story. Filed of Dreams was an original and intriguing idea. I alos loved a League of Their Own. Bull Durham and Major League were quite funny.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I always liked "Field of Dreams"....it was a very moving story. "The Rookie" with Dennis Quaid is also a pretty good baseball movie. Quaid gives a great performance in this movie.

Help, help! Mrs. Mathman is forcing me to write this.

The Natural

starring the one and only *gasp* *sigh*

Robert Redford

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"Bull Durham":love: ! I love the scene of Kevin Costner painting Susan Sarandon's toenails.

Aloft04

On the Ice
Special note to Mrs. Mathman:

Robert Redford is MINE, all mine!!!!

(But I still don't like baseball or boxing movies.......)

bronxgirl

Medalist
to me its a tossup beween two very different movies, "Bull Durham" and "Bang the Drum Slowly" with a brilliant young DeNiro as the catcher. Definitely finding the movie for a DVD rental

heyang

Record Breaker
Don't forget The Bad News Bears and The Pride of the Yankees.

However, A League of Their Own is a favorite, but it really is about female empowerment with baseball as a backdrop.

I also have fun watching Major League - part 1 only.

Piel, I said a hearty YES! when you picked "Bull Durham" ("Oh, they do get wooly, young girls they do get wooly!"), but when Bronxgirl said a toss-up between "Bull Durham" and "Bang the Drum Slowly," it was no question. Bronxgirl, you got it, baby.

"Bang the Drum Slowly" is, for me, one of the very few very moving yet very unsentimental movies about dignity in the face of death, both from a young, young Robert DeNiro's character, as well as Michael Moriarty's character.

And although I wouldn't put the following movie in the same league with any of the others mentioned, I still think it's an interesting look at a time when, in the very early '60s, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were on the same team, batting neck and neck to try to beat Babe Ruth's one season home-run record. "61*" is an "eh" HBO movie, but it still has some great performances (Barry Pepper is soooo hot!) and a story that shows that not everybody loves a winner. Worth a rental if the movie you really want is out.

Rgirl

I haven't seen them all, but I'd have to say "Field of Dreams" is my favorite.
I didn't like Bull Durham.

We just watched "Fever Pitch" this past weekend and enjoyed a LOT. But baseball sort of took a back-seat to the love story. Being huge Phillies Phans, this movie helped eased the long off-season for us!;)

Forgot to add that I do like "League of Their Own," though not as much as "Bull Durham" and "Bang the Drum Slowly." It gives the real women who played baseball during WWII their due, it's good, and I like that combination.

Rgirl

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I gotta go with my fav, "Field of Dreams" and my son's fav......."A League of Their Own" ( my mother played in one of these leagues in the forties. She saw the movie and had to laugh.......said there wasn't all that cattiness and in house fighting at all, but you have to make the movie appealing..........:) ) 42