Travel help! | Golden Skate

Travel help!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hoping to go to Portland, OR this summer...

Which of the travel websites has the best deal? Anyone know? I've looked at orbitz.com and am on travelocity.com now... but which site out there tends to have the best options and prices?

any help would be GREAT :)

sk8m8

Final Flight
toni, I like hotwire.com.

I've always found the lowest prices on there, however you do better if you have a little wiggle room in your schedule.

I ALWAYS purchase the addtional 12.00 insurance just in case your plans suddenly change you aren't out your money.

It works this way...you put in your dates and preferences for flight (non-stop, connections) it then returns a price to you. Though much of the info is revealed you don't know exactly who you will be flying until you agree. It's always a major carrier and from where you are you can almost determine the two or three major airlines that will carry you.

Hope this helps.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks! I haven't ever heard of them so I will check them out

so far it looks like I'll be spending over 400 bucks for round trip no matter who I fly with

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
What airlines fly out of your airport, Toni? I have actually been finding the best deals by going directly to the airline websites and doing it early. Then again....I fly out of Atlanta, so I probably have more choices for cheap airlines than you do. AirTran is dirt cheap, as is Frontier.......but I'm not sure if they service Alaska.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
What airlines fly out of your airport, Toni? I have actually been finding the best deals by going directly to the airline websites and doing it early. Then again....I fly out of Atlanta, so I probably have more choices for cheap airlines than you do. AirTran is dirt cheap, as is Frontier.......but I'm not sure if they service Alaska.

Ted Stevens International Airport has them all...

the thing is, it is NEVER cheap to leave this stupid state lol

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Ted Stevens International Airport has them all...

the thing is, it is NEVER cheap to leave this stupid state lol

I understand that. I live in Chattanooga, TN....and we actually have a sizable airport, but it is always 2-3x the cost to fly out of here. So, I always end up driving 2 hours to Atlanta.

sk8m8

Final Flight
'sorry, tony.

I looked on hotwire and they do not have that flight. My next bet would be priceline.com as they let you "bid" on flights ( ie bid about 25-30% less than commercial) and they will let you know if there is an acceptable deals out there. Remember, most of these sites sell "surplus" air fare, so it's catch as catch can.
Good luck!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sk8m8 said:
'sorry, tony.

I looked on hotwire and they do not have that flight. My next bet would be priceline.com as they let you "bid" on flights ( ie bid about 25-30% less than commercial) and they will let you know if there is an acceptable deals out there. Remember, most of these sites sell "surplus" air fare, so it's catch as catch can.
Good luck!

I went on hotwire last night and they had flights from Anchorage, AK to Portland, OR but they were way pricey -- still I'm months away from leaving lol -- I haven't tried priceline yet... I will see what they can come up with... think I could get a flight for 20 bucks? :laugh:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
The rule of thumb to book a flight is to start watching (like a hawk :) ) about 4 months prior to your planned trip. Most airlines have sales about 3-2 months proir, occasionally 4 months. Watching before will give you an idea of what the everyday price is. I recommend www.smartertravel.com - while you can't book flights from them, they have fantastic travel advice columns and they do the deal watching for you. You have to sign-up for the city or airline of your interest and on wednesdays you get the scoop. Just like Bronze, I get the tickets directly from the airline website. Remember, a lot of cheaper airlines do not partner with orbitz and travelocity, and most do gaurantee the best deal on the internet - and there are no booking fees. However, travelocity, orbitz, etc are a good place to start to get an idea of airlines and cost to/from your destination.

I would start hunting in February or so.

Yana