My Brother's caught the bug... | Golden Skate

My Brother's caught the bug...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Duane, my 10 year old brother, is taking skating lessons... and he's now hooked.

He's always wanted to learn and be "the next Kurt Browning" (ie his hero) but mom didn't think he was that serious until his last group lesson where he got upset that the coaches were busy flirting with each other. I think he said something along the lines of "this kind of coaching will not get us to Worlds" :rofl: He has high expectations

mom is worried though... she's not sure we have any coaches in Kenai that are "good enough" :laugh:

Tonichelle said:
...he got upset that the coaches were busy flirting with each other. I think he said something along the lines of "this kind of coaching will not get us to Worlds"
:rofl: Don't you just hate it when your coaches carry on like that? :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
:rofl: Don't you just hate it when your coaches carry on like that? :)
yeah well I guess Duane wasn't impressed :rofl:

I guess there are two coaches teaching the beginners class a lady and a man... the man keeps telling Duane how much fun he'd have in hockey and Duane told him the first week that "Hockey players don't do Triple Axels"

that's my brother

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
yeah well I guess Duane wasn't impressed :rofl:

I guess there are two coaches teaching the beginners class a lady and a man... the man keeps telling Duane how much fun he'd have in hockey and Duane told him the first week that "Hockey players don't do Triple Axels"

that's my brother

So can we clone him? And make lots more like him?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
So can we clone him? And make lots more like him?

NO! one is more than enough (seriously he may be all business on ice, but he's a hellion the rest of the time)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Toni-
Hope your brother knows what he has gotten himself into! Once you catch the bug it's hard to get rid of:yes:

Let us know when he lands his first Axel:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Toni-
Hope your brother knows what he has gotten himself into! Once you catch the bug it's hard to get rid of:yes:

He's wanted to be a skater since he was 4. Because of his biological father having 51% custody and our family only being a foster family we couldn't enroll him because his father was overly homophobic (among other things) and threatend my family with death if we even suggested it (dad said it would be for hockey, but noooooooooooooooo Duane went and screwed that up lol) so we couldn't get him into lessons until this year as we've now adopted him.

Unfortunately I don't see him getting much of anywhere as figure skating is not a sport of interest or even importance down on the Kenai... :no: even the coaches don't much care past getting the kids standing up and skating around the rink :no:

and yet we do have some kids that on their own at least get to compete in sectionals.... if he were to get serious he'd probably have to train up here in Anchorage, but that's a 3 hour drive one way and my parents aren't going to relocate anytime soon lol

Toni, I remember you posting on the old SF forum how Duanne was trying to skate in the driveway and how he wanted to be the next Kurt. I'm glad he's getting a chance to have lessons. Who knows, maybe he *will* be the next Kurt. Kurt is certainly a great role model for him! Good luck Duanne! Keep those silly flirting coaches in-line, too!;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:
Toni, I remember you posting on the old SF forum how Duanne was trying to skate in the driveway and how he wanted to be the next Kurt. I'm glad he's getting a chance to have lessons. Who knows, maybe he *will* be the next Kurt. Kurt is certainly a great role model for him! Good luck Duanne! Keep those silly flirting coaches in-line, too!;)

yeah everyone on there took to calling him Kurt Jr. IIRC ;)

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
Duane told him the first week that "Hockey players don't do Triple Axels"

that's my brother
Here in the UK we have a saying "If figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!"

More power to your brother's elbow - I do hope he realises his dream, or at least gets as far as he is able.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's going to be taking more lessons and is demanding skates for Christmas (he obviously has no idea how much they are... lol)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Toni-
He has to have his own skates! Beginner skates aren't too expensive.

I want new skates for Christmas too:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Toni-
He has to have his own skates! Beginner skates aren't too expensive.

I want new skates for Christmas too:)
Mom and dad want to wait on the skates until he is positive he wants to continue, they'll also start looking into more one on one lessons if his heart so desires after the next session...

what do beginner skates cost anyway? (his feet grow faster than any other part ofhis body right now... he's gone up 3 shoe sizes this school year alone :scratch: I think he's part big foot :laugh: )

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Toni-here's a little info that might help:

Beginners’ Skates:

Should you be someone who goes to the rink to skate and socialize a few times a month then you don’t need to invest a lot of money in equipment. You can spend anywhere from $80 to $150 and be satisfied. The advantages to owning your own skates are:

* They’re more durable than rental skates.

* The blades will be sharper.

* Only YOU will wear them!

* Your own skates will be a wise investment, especially if you have to pay for rentals every time you skate.

Advanced Beginners’ to Intermediate Level Skates:

If you answered yes to more than 3 questions, you’re probably a candidate for a better type of skate. Should you be interested in freestyle [jumps and spins], ice dance [ballroom on ice] pairs [you and a partner jump and spin] or precision skating [think Rockettes on ice], then you’ll want to invest in a long-lasting pair of skates. The main questions are: How much are you willing to pay? Do you want to buy the boots and blades separately?

Often the beginner will wear skates that come from the factory with the blade already attached. Since not much more than forward and backward skating will be done, the boot is soft and the blades will have small toepicks.

backspin

On the Ice
Other biggest advantage to having your own skates: they actually give your ankles enough support to make them useful!! That & the sharp blades are the 2 most critical things.

Beginner boots aren't that bad. Things to weigh: leather will stand you in much better stead than vinyl. Repositionable blades (screwed in, not riveted in) are helpful if they aren't perfectly aligned for the person wearing them (good chance of this). Have him try different brands, they all fit differently. Reidells fit a narrow foot, Jacksons fit a wider foot. Both make a beginning boot/blade combo that is very reasonably priced.