Boy, Was I Wrong! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Boy, Was I Wrong!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Gorey..hm, every seen "Mystery" on PBS? He drew the opening credits. Also a famous writer/illustrator with a very distinct style. And he also, for a span of about twenty or so years, saw every show the NYCB did. I mean every PERFORMANCE. Like, every lousy matinee, every Nutcracker, everything. A couple of his little books, "The Gilded Bat" and "The Lavender Leotard or, Fifty Seasons of the New York City Ballet" are ballet-themed. (Lavender Leotard is full of in-jokes about NYCB, from sets and costumes to a nudge at Ballanchine's choreography.) I adore Gorey's macabre little books, and because of him I was curious and got into Ballanchine's works, as much as I can see of them, anyway.

http://www.tfaoi.com/newsm1/n1m113.htm

There's a review/description of a show of Gorey's poster art. (I have a lithograph of the print at the top of the page. One of the few pieces he did in color.)

Heh. I have just enough time for skating, thanks! (And may be off the ice for the rest of the week--stupid knee. I broke it dancing when I was fourteen, and tonight it popped and felt odd enough I went in for x-rays. I am TOO YOUNG TO BE LOSING CARTILAGE, DAMMIT! Suzanne Farrell made it to 39 before she needed a hip replacement, and I really don't think ice dance is that stressful on the legs, and it's not like I dance en pointe! Yes, I don't like injuries. They annoy me.)

But I do think that skaters can take a lot from ballet. Especially a mentality like Ballanchine's, about creating shapes in space. Skating is like that, only moving faster.

Oh THAT Gorey! In addition to his superb pen and ink drawings, he also designed the sets and costumes for the 1970s Dracula on Broadway. Everyting was in black, white and gray except for splashes of blood red. Great show! Frank Langella was never better and so sexualy scary.

I think for the most part, skaters take the easy way out and concentrate on music like Carmen which has definite beat and a one way interpretation.

Joe

JulietValcouer said:
....But I do think that skaters can take a lot from ballet. Especially a mentality like Ballanchine's, about creating shapes in space. Skating is like that, only moving faster.
"Shapes in space." I absolutely could not agree more. Along with the quality of the transitions, that's what sticks in the brain and conveys the the emotion via the body, IMO.

BTW, I'm a big Balanchine and Gorey fan, too. :rock:

Take care of that knee.

Rgirl

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
"Shapes in space." I absolutely could not agree more. Along with the quality of the transitions, that's what sticks in the brain and conveys the the emotion via the body, IMO.

BTW, I'm a big Balanchine and Gorey fan, too. :rock:

Take care of that knee.

Rgirl

Hee. *looks guiltily at immobilizer she's not wearing* I'm going to get a knee brace at Wal-Mart tomorrow (assuming I'm not eaten alive by the post-Thanksgiving shoppers), one that lets me move a little more. It's better than it was, anyway. If there's no real improvement I'll call the orthopodist and see what they can tell me.

When it comes to dance, I remember close skating, fast footwork, and interesting looks--the way the body is positioned. One thing I love about watching Torvill and Dean is that they always look like they're dancing, and they're never boring to look at. But they're not just posing, they're doing things that make sense with the music.

julietvalcouer said:
.....When it comes to dance, I remember close skating, fast footwork, and interesting looks--the way the body is positioned. One thing I love about watching Torvill and Dean is that they always look like they're dancing, and they're never boring to look at. But they're not just posing, they're doing things that make sense with the music.
Very true. Shapes, transitions, closeness, footwork, musicality, moving from the center--just a few of the things that go into great ice dancing. Most of these things also go into any kind of dancing. though of course in the latter it can be solos, duets, any number of dancers doing the choreography. But as they say, the basics are time, space, and energy.:)

Rgirl

icenine

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Icenine (I love your signature name- I think of baseball team on ice:biggrin: )

Actually, it's a Kurt Vonnegut reference, but I like the mental visual of the wildly flailing and skidding ball players. :laugh:
You are absolutely right, and thanks for the correction (spotting vs tracking)... I really shouldn't post so late at night when I'm too goofy to think . I REALLY shouldn't post a question and skip town for five days, either!
Thanks for the information. I knew you were the authority on all matters dance.

I also remember the Gorey sets for Dracula. He was a wonderful artist and humorist, and and greatly admired by my fellow artists and by me.