pattern for soakers | Golden Skate

pattern for soakers

teddmkr

Spectator
Hi! Does anyone out there have a pattern for soakers or do you know how I can get one? Thanks soooo much!:clap: :) :)

Aloft04

On the Ice
I live under a rock. What's a soaker?

(I'm pretty sure I don't have a pattern for one but was just curious and completely undaunted at expressing my ignorance :laugh: )

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
a soaker is the puffy fabric thing that goes on your blade to help absorb moisture.....to help keep the rust from forming on your blade (while your skates are in your skate bag). Of course, you will have wiped down your blade first:biggrin: then you put your soakers on

I have the pattern on my computer at home....can get it to you later (if you can wait....)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I was sure wondering about this! To me there are two kinds of soakers. The kind they used to make before they had rubber pants for babies - I still have one that my mother-in-law gave me that had been my husbands.:rofl: :rofl:
The other is a hose you put in your flower bed that has little holes all over to soak the soil. :laugh: :p

Longhornliz

Final Flight
WHOA! This is a whole reality of hygiene issues i've never thought about having to address without modern day technology. I'm not sure I'll sleep well tonight.

teddmkr

Spectator
Thanks Skater@Delaware! Yes I can wait. That is what I was asking about (The covers for skate blades to absorb moisture):) :) :)

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Here it is, sorry it's crooked! (it's a .pdf file).
http://www.sk8rland.com/users/tkahline/soakers.pdf
http://www.sk8rland.com/users/tkahline/blade soakers

Remember to start with a rectangle of 11x15" and I suppose if you wanted, you could use an inner layer of toweling or batting. If you have a serger, you could simplify the process even more by eliminating the casing and just serging over the elastic and turning it under.

I don't know how to make the puffy ones, I think they have either really thick batting or maybe even the crystals that absorb moisture.

I'm going to make some and reinforce the ends (the heel of the blade) because that end always seems to get destroyed first.

Have fun, and let me know how it goes!

Last edited:

teddmkr

Spectator
Thanks Delaware! I'm going to try making a pair this weekend. It would be a nice inexpensive gift for all my granddaughter's skating friends. I looked at a pair during Regionals and I think they have a piece of foam inside of them. I'll let you know when I'm done. Thanks again.:) :) :clap: :clap:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Good luck! Also, if you make the super-puffy ones, enlarge the rectangle a bit--you'll have to play around with the dimensions to compensate for the foam...if you have an embroidery machine you could put her name on them...then they won't "walk away" like my soakers did this week:cry: (mine were brite pink fake fur)