Coverage on CCTV-5 - Maybe | Golden Skate

Coverage on CCTV-5 - Maybe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
It's challenging to figure out the schedule, but supposedly there will be some live coverage of something today, and maybe tomorrow. For those interested, here is a summary of how to access CCTV-5 through www.pplive.com. If this is your first time setting it up, it takes awhile so start early!!

This only works on a high speed connection (cable, DSL, etc.). This will not work on dial up.

From the www.pplive.com home page, do NOT click on the "English" selection. The pplive software on the English part of the site is not up to date and I don't think it works. (at least it didn't for me ages ago). Look to the right of the screen for the numbers 1.0.9.9. That is the current version of the PPLive software. Click on the icon (in chinese) above that. Select all the defaults to install the software on your computer.

If you have an old version installed and it no longer works, use the Windows Add/Remove programs tool to formally uninstall the old version. Then install the new version, then re-boot.

To launch CCTV-5. If CCTV-5 is not clearly a selection on the program list (in Chinese) from the www.pplive.com home page, then look to the upper left of the screen for the "Program List" selection. Click on that. The page takes a long time to load. Once the Program List is fully loaded and you can see the channel listings, look for one of the CCTV-5 selections (there may be more than one). To the right of the CCTV-5 selection, click on the red "Play" icon. It takes awhile to load. PPlive will automatically launch Windows Media player. The audio and video are likely to be "choppy" at first. Give it five or ten minutes to run, and it should settle down.

Thought this might help some of you who haven't tried this before. I will post back a quick note if "skating is on!"

DG

chania36

On the Ice
Thank you very much, it was very clear what you explained to do, I had it the first time and also, it did not take that much time. Right now there is soccer on it but I am happy to have it now, the first time a couple of weeks ago that I got the try it did not work, but I did what you said and remove the other versiont that was not the latest, it was on the english side, so you are correct and if people follow what you say exactly, they will be able to watch it. Thank you very much.:clap:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
chania36 said:
Thank you very much.:clap:

You are quite welcome. I'm not clear whether the coverage tomorrow will be live or memorex, but from what I gather from others there will be something. I sure hope so anyway!! I will be up early in the AM launching everything just in case. :) Isn't it cool to see some of this stuff live??

DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
DG,

Since we've seen newbies and people who were running old versions of the pplive shareware have problems, you're right that we need to get the word out that broadband/cable/dsl computers capable of running streaming video can watch live/taped coverage from CCTV5. Most of us will go with Windows Media Player (at least level 9), but supposedly it also works for Real Player. Can't testify to that.

Were you one of the people who was trying to use Macs? Since I use a windows pc, I can't tell how that works either.

Also, some people had trouble with firewalls and access for the video feed. Check out the Figure Skating Universe site, under the TV Alerts section. There are several threads about what people have done that works. I found I also had an issue with my dsl internet provider. One of those problems resulted in my computer giving me a message that my dsl modem didn't exist and I didn't have an internet address and my network wouldn't network (duh - it was only supposed to network with the dsl ip!). These turned out to be problems with the ip. Not my computer and not my modem and not my network.

The TV Alerts threads at FSU also had some people who can translate Chinese posting the publicized schedule for the CCTV 5 coverage. The competition is on St. Petersburg-Moscow time, but the tv programming is on Beijing time. Use the time calc sites so you know what that means in YOUR time.

For people who haven't been using FSU -- if your're registered at GS, you can use the same sign-in info to register there. While the actual competitions are occurring live, there are tons of people on that site and sometimes it can get very slow. Read the "stickys" about the rules to make best use of the site.

All that said ---- I LOVE watching the streaming feed from China and even if you miss the broadcasts, if your computer can do it, there are sites where you can download the programs of individual skaters/teams. Modern convenience!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi JO!!

I asked a question about Mac access on the Skating Videos site as lots of people were asking about Mac access. (I'm on Windows myself).

All I can say at this stage is....CALL ME SPOILED!!!

;)

DG

Kasey

Medalist
There is another option for streaming video that offers CCTV5 coverage, because I could NEVER get PPLive to work for me. Download at www.sopcast.org. It is very easy, self-explanatory, and idiot proof I think (since I got it working!) I'm not sure if it's as necessary to have the most current version, but it seems that upgrading is not hard either.