Ladies Short - Results | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Results

gezando

Final Flight
Emily placed well relatively, her TES is third.

Great for Miki, she landed the 3z/3l again.

TES
1 Irina Slutskaya RUS 35.70
2 Miki Ando JPN 32.00
3 Emily Hughes USA 25.36
4 Yoshie Onda JPN 25.12
5 Na Hou CHN 24.52
6 Anastasia Gimazetdinova UZB 21.86
7 Susanna Poykio FIN 21.30
8 Julia Sebestyen HUN 20.66
9 Amber Corwin USA 19.02
10 Tatiana Basova RUS 13.28

1 Irina Slutskaya RUS 31.88
2 Miki Ando JPN 28.76
3 Susanna Poykio FIN 24.64
4 Julia Sebestyen HUN 22.72
5 Yoshie Onda JPN 22.44
6 Emily Hughes USA 22.20
7 Amber Corwin USA 21.28
8 Anastasia Gimazetdinova UZB 20.84
9 Na Hou CHN 19.96
10 Tatiana Basova RUS 18.68

Irina will win everything this season from wire to wire and on TES, and PCS WOW

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Irina's marks are interesting. From all accounts so far, her COC performance was much better. However, she did a 3Z/2R here, as opposed to a 3Z/2T in COC ... I think that's 1.5 pts. vs. 1.3 pts?

Her marks for both:

TES - COC: 38.50
COR: 35.70

PCS - COC: 31.72
COR: 31.88

Three of her PCS marks were up from COC ... one stayed the same ... and one went down by .15.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
IMO, Irina's skate was not as good this time as COC, but that one will be hard to top. This one just didn't have quite the same "oomph" and she looked like she had some minor problems (nothing major) on a couple elements.

I really loved Miki's program!! I'm wondering about the choice of slower, softer music for both SP and LP (assuming she is staying with My Funny Valentine) but I sure like the new CHJ / Wilson version of Miki! I think her spins are definitely improved over last year, and her spirals too - even though IMO she still has a ways to go to catch up with the best of the sprialers. The FW sequence was sort of bleh to my eyes - curious about what level that will be called. Low, I'm assuming. Her jumps looked as strong as ever to me.

They didn't broadcast Hughes 2 or Onda on CCTV-5 coverage.

Amber stayed on her feet even though she missed the 2A (never got it off the ice). But I really, really admire her for just getting out there after the last couple of competitions. I would be hiding under a rock. She is a class act.

Poykio was a bit ho-hum IMO. She is another one who should NOT attempt Biellmanns's, and I doubt she's doing them well & fast enough or holding them long enough to make any meaningful difference in her scores. Need to wait for the score sheets though!!

Julia was bleh as well. When she's off with those jumps, the rest just seems mediocre compared to the skaters at the top IMO.

Just a few cents worth of first impressions.

DG

Irina is just totally crushing the field in the SP.

Now she has a 67.58 to go with her 70.22 from Cup of China.

For comparison, here are the best marks by her main competitors so far this season:

Mao Asada 63.96
Sasha Cohen 60.96
Miki Ando 60.76
Alissa Czisny 58.54
Shizuka Arakawa 57.98
Elena Sokolova 57.94
Elena Liashenko 57.52
Joannie Rochette 57.08
Yoshie Onda 53.90
Fumie Suguri 52.12
Yukari Nakano 49.84
Kostner 49.46
Emily Hughes 46.56
Susanna Poykio 45.94
Kimmie Meissner 44.92

Mao is not eligible for the Olympics. As for the rest, is there a "mercy rule" that calls the game after the SP in such cases?

MM

nymkfan51

Medalist
That's the question I asked awhile ago, Mathman.

There is no chance for anyone else to beat her. I think the other ladies should use this understanding to keep them from getting overly nervous about competing in Torino, and just put out two really good programs and get a spot on the podium.

rigel434

Rinkside
"There is no chance for anyone else to beat her."

That's silly- if Irina falls and, say, Sasha Cohen skates clean then Sasha will win. Now, if both skate clean then the judges will probably favor Irina which is ok with me since I love Irina but don't care for Sasha much at all. But to say the others have no chance is wrong. Irina is battling long-term serious illness and has a weakened immune system from prednisone treatments, it's not even a given that she'll be in the form to compete at the Olympics.

rigel434 said:
"There is no chance for anyone else to beat her."

That's silly- if Irina falls and, say, Sasha Cohen skates clean then Sasha will win. Now, if both skate clean then the judges will probably favor Irina which is ok with me since I love Irina but don't care for Sasha much at all. But to say the others have no chance is wrong. Irina is battling long-term serious illness and has a weakened immune system from prednisone treatments, it's not even a given that she'll be in the form to compete at the Olympics.
Welcome to Golden Skate Forum, rigel434 - I agree with most of what you say. and Irina's prednisone treatments have been fully covered here in GS and we all are aware of her problems.

Sasha is my bet to win the Olys if Irina falters too much, but I can not rule out Ando and maybe even Alissa (the battle of the Bielmans) if there is a SLC repeat.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Congrats on your OGM, Irina :scratch:

Seriously - I agree with MM. Irina is miles ahead of everyone else in the SP. How can the others possibly catch up? Irina will HAVE to slip up at the Olys to be even in danger of not winning. It's not even funny. This new system puts her so far ahead of everyone else.

Cohen winning? :rofl: I'd say Arakawa or Ando is next in line if Irina manages to stumble or fall. But anything can happen, I suppose...

nymkfan51

Medalist
Of course anything is possible, but I would bet some good money on Irina. (if I had any, that is! :laugh: )

Seriously, she would, IMO, have to mess up big time for anyone else to have any kind of a chance ... and that's just not going to happen. She rarely, if ever, has meltdowns in competition. She may make a mistake or two, but she's that far ahead of everyone else in the scoring to more than make up for that.

It's a Russian sweep ... take it to the bank.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Seriously - I agree with MM. Irina is miles ahead of everyone else in the SP. How can the others possibly catch up? Irina will HAVE to slip up at the Olys to be even in danger of not winning. It's not even funny. This new system puts her so far ahead of everyone else.

I disagree with the sentence quoted that I bolded. The system doesn't put Irina ahead. I give Irina credit for putting Irina ahead. IMO, she is winning because she continues to out skate everyone.

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I disagree with the sentence quoted that I bolded. The system doesn't put Irina ahead. I give Irina credit for putting Irina ahead. IMO, she is winning because she continues to out skate everyone.

DG

More or less, that's actually what I meant.

nymkfan51 said:
That's the question I asked awhile ago, Mathman.
I knew I read that somewhere recently, LOL. It was so clever that it stuck in my mind. Sorry to use it without attribution.

Anyway, the point is, if Irina leads by 10 points after the short program, what chance does anyone have of overtaking her in the long?

MM :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am dissapointed Irina scored so much lower than COC. :frown: Hopefully she skated just as outstanding and she was just overscored a bit at COC, I dont want to think her skating is in decline already so early in the year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
I am dissapointed Irina scored so much lower than COC. :frown: Hopefully she skated just as outstanding and she was just overscored a bit at COC, I dont want to think her skating is in decline already so early in the year.

It's only three points. And come on, she's still 7 POINTS away from the second best scores of the year. She'll still very much in it at this pace.

Of course, the bad news could be...she peaked at COC...:eek: that wouldn't be too good.

slutskayafan21 said:
You can't say it's in decline. No matter how good you are you can't give a "performance of a lifetime" every time. As Red Dog says, if 67 points is her norm, with the 70-point performace at Cup of China as the spike, she's in great shape.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I
Anyway, the point is, if Irina leads by 10 points after the short program, what chance does anyone have of overtaking her in the long?

Probably the same chance that E-man had at Skate Canada to come back from 6th, and 12 points (roughly) behind in the short to win the event. :clap: :love: :clap:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Mathman said:
I knew I read that somewhere recently, LOL. It was so clever that it stuck in my mind. Sorry to use it without attribution.

No problem, Mathman ... it's nice to know someone remembered something I posted! :rofl:

And as for Irina scoring lower at COR ... cheer up ... her PCS actually went up!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Come on y'all.....as a firm follower of that great Yankee philosopher, Yogi Berra, I'd like to point out the true axiom: The game ain't over 'til it's over. And the game doesn't take place until February. Lots of time for all kinds of things to happen twixt now and then. Crowning Irina may turn out to be correct and it might not. Let's enjoy the ride up to the game and then watch the game.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
Come on y'all.....as a firm follower of that great Yankee philosopher, Yogi Berra, I'd like to point out the true axiom: The game ain't over 'til it's over. And the game doesn't take place until February. Lots of time for all kinds of things to happen twixt now and then. Crowning Irina may turn out to be correct and it might not. Let's enjoy the ride up to the game and then watch the game.

:rock: