New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event | Golden Skate

New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0511250182nov25,1,5147167.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Kwan quandary

Figure on Michelle Kwan not competing at the U.S. Figure Skating Challenge on Dec. 11 in Boston. There is no reason for Kwan, who trains in California, to drag herself 3,000 miles for an event with absolutely no competitive meaning now that the U.S. Figure Skating Association has decided to let fans be the judges.

Kwan, who pulled out of her two scheduled Grand Prix events with a hip injury, would have been more likely to skate in Boston if the event had been judged with the new Code of Points system because she has experienced that judging just once.

A pullout from the Boston event will raise even more doubts about Kwan's chances at the Jan. 10-14 U.S. championships, where she would be seeking both a top-three finish to make the 2006 Olympic team as well as a record-breaking 10th national title. She never has gone to the U.S. meet without having competed at all during the fall.

It no longer would be a complete surprise to have Kwan, 25, decide her body can't take the pounding anymore and announce her retirement before the national meet.

"Michelle has every intention of competing at nationals," insisted her agent, Shep Goldberg. If Kwan makes a third Olympic team and decides she needs more Code of Points experience before the Winter Games, she would go to the Four Continents Championships beginning Jan. 23 in Colorado Springs.

For once, I actually agree that she should forego this event. It's kind of unnecessary. Maybe Cohen should skip this one as well.

:eek: about Kwan considering the Four Continents Championships! Has she ever done that comp. before?

There's also some info about Asada being too young to go to the OLYs, and some info on other winter sports.

Last edited:
Good for Kwan. What in heck do any of these skaters want a popularity contest for? Unfortunately, Hirsch unable to get any info on the back.

The saddest part about Asada's absence from the upcoming Winter Games, in which she obviously would be a medal contender, is there is no guarantee she will make it to 2010, given the toll injuries are taking on leading skaters.
I never thought of that and it is a good point.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
The only thing this cheesefest would have been good for, IMO, was to get her programs out there ... but this format is so ridiculous ... especially for this time of year ... in an Olympic season, no less! This might have been a cute idea as the spring cheesefest, but not here.

And given Michelle's slow progress, I think this would be a complete waste of valuable training time ... not to mention going out too soon and getting injured again, which would more than likely wipe out any chances for Nats and the Olympics.

I honestly hope she doesn't do it.

ETA ... this article also states that Evan is skating to Carmen as his new LP.

Last edited:
nymkfan51 said:
ETA ... this article also states that Evan is skating to Carmen as his new LP.
well he'll save money on the costume and comparisons to his old nemesis Grizev will prevail.

Joe

Now wait a minute. Does Hersh actually know anything, or is he just speculating like the rest of us. I don't see any quotes from Michelle, and the only input from her agent is, "Michelle has every intention of competing in Nationals."

Hersh makes it seem as if Michelle objects to the cheesiness of the cheesefest. But in fact, no one except Hersh mentions anything about Michelle "dragging herself" to Boston. (If it were I putting words in Michelle's mounth, I would have said "flying to Boston.")

For all we know it might have been Michelle who said, "well, I'll come and skate but only if it is just an exhibition and not a real competition."

To me, Hersh has nothing to say in this article, but hey, you gotta write something. Couldn't he at least have done some kind of a phone interview with Michelle? (Or maybe she's not talking. ;) )

Anyway, we are none the wiser for this article, IMHO.

Mathman :)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was thinking the same thing, MM. I didn't hear anything about MK herself saying she wouldn't go. However, he must have some sort of basis for making his comment, especially since he is a member of the media. Perhaps MK is still in the recovery stages?

Red Dog said:
However, he must have some sort of basis for making his comment, especially since he is a member of the media.
If you read the first two paragraphs carefully, it seems clear to me that Hersh is going out of his way not to claim any insider knowledge, just giving his own opinion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
If you read the first two paragraphs carefully, it seems clear to me that Hersh is going out of his way not to claim any insider knowledge, just giving his own opinion.

I suppose you might be right.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
This article does seem a little pointless. But, I also hope that Michelle skips this event. If it were more of a traditional Cheesefest, I could see the benefit of competing. But, she won't get any kind of constructive feedback from this. Also, the Four Continent's idea sounds very interesting. And, no Red, Michelle has never competed in that competition. Generally, skaters that place highly at Nationals (but who don't make the World/Olympic team) go to this event. There have been some exceptions in the past (S&Z competed at the 4CCs a couple of times I think), but I don't think you see the elite of the elite at this competition in most cases.

R.D.

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
Generally, skaters that place highly at Nationals (but who don't make the World/Olympic team) go to this event. There have been some exceptions in the past (S&Z competed at the 4CCs a couple of times I think), but I don't think you see the elite of the elite at this competition in most cases.

I kind of don't like that. At least at the European championships you have the best of that part of the world competing there. It's sort of given that event a much higher prestige than Four Continents, when IMO it shouldn't be. Something needs to happen so that we see the best of Japan, NA, etc. compete there. Wishful thinking on my part though :disapp:

(Thanks for answering my question BTW)

flowjo35

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Perhaps MK is still in the recovery stages?

Red Dog, a poster on MKF stated that Michelle was able to go for a full hour session in practice, which is an improvement of what she was able to do previously. I don't think she is doing jumps or spins yet though, so I would say she is still recovering. This injury seems to have been more serious then anyone first thought, I think. I hope she has a full recovery soon.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Now wait a minute. Does Hersh actually know anything, or is he just speculating like the rest of us. I don't see any quotes from Michelle, and the only input from her agent is, "Michelle has every intention of competing in Nationals."

Hersh makes it seem as if Michelle objects to the cheesiness of the cheesefest. But in fact, no one except Hersh mentions anything about Michelle "dragging herself" to Boston. (If it were I putting words in Michelle's mounth, I would have said "flying to Boston.")

For all we know it might have been Michelle who said, "well, I'll come and skate but only if it is just an exhibition and not a real competition."

To me, Hersh has nothing to say in this article, but hey, you gotta write something. Couldn't he at least have done some kind of a phone interview with Michelle? (Or maybe she's not talking. ;) )

Anyway, we are none the wiser for this article, IMHO.

Mathman :)

MM I agree with you 100%. The only quote I see is from Michelle's agent stating that she will be at nationals, nothing from Michelle herself.

R.D.

Record Breaker
flowjo35 said:
Red Dog, a poster on MKF stated that Michelle was able to go for a full hour session in practice, which is an improvement of what she was able to do previously. I don't think she is doing jumps or spins yet though, so I would say she is still recovering. This injury seems to have been more serious then anyone first thought, I think. I hope she has a full recovery soon.

I appreciate the update. Thanks.

Sounds as if she's on the way to recovery, but it sounds like it must have been pretty bad. It's been over TWO MONTHS since she first announced injury.

Will she be able to compete at Nats? It's rather unfortunate that Kwan would have to DEBUT her programs at Nationals. I know she's a veteran and can deal with the pressure, but I'm not so sure now that Kwan is going to coast easily to a 10th title. Cohen's not doing so well, either, but she has a 2-up advantage to Kwan right now. This could be the best opportunity for an upset.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I know she's a veteran and can deal with the pressure, but I'm not so sure now that Kwan is going to coast easily to a 10th title. Cohen's not doing so well, either, but she has a 2-up advantage to Kwan right now. This could be the best opportunity for an upset.

I don't know at this point if a 10th title is on Michelle's mind. Her full recovery and being able to make it onto the big "O" team are probably her priority right now. I don't know how much of an upset it would be if Michelle did not win nationals given the nature of her injury. Most of her fans at this point are just hoping she can skate well at nationals, be healthy and place in the top three to go to the big "O's". Anything else after that is gravy.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
flowjo35 said:
I don't know at this point if a 10th title is on Michelle's mind. Her full recovery and being able to make it onto the big "O" team are probably her priority right now. I don't know how much of an upset it would be if Michelle did not win nationals given the nature of her injury. Most of her fans at this point are just hoping she can skate well at nationals, be healthy and place in the top three to go to the big "O's". Anything else after that is gravy.:)

I suppose if I was a Kwan fan I would be hoping that, too.

So maybe a 10th national title may not be on the top of Kwan's to do list right now. But it sure would be nice, right? I think it would be foolish to think it's not hovering SOMEWHERE in her mind. This person could be a part of history here! (Kwan fans: don't tell me she already is.)

But remember, Kwan on her worst day is still better than a lot of skaters, even on their best day. The only US participant that has beaten Kwan in the past is Cohen. She's the only one I see beating Kwan in the event of an upset. But I do NOT count on an upset happening.

kyla2

Final Flight
Hmmmmm.......

I think he is right on target, She won't go to the cheesefest. i think she wants very much to go to Nationals and the Olympics. I would be surprised to see her not go to either. I also believe she has had a significant injury and severe pain. She only started practicing for 1 straight hour a week ago. So she has been having one hell of a time. To just show up would be a major deal in my book.

flowjo35

On the Ice
I would think at this point a 10th title may not be a priority in her mind, but a full recovery is. Got to take one step at a time. Could the thought of a 10th title be in the back of her mind, sure, but I would think a full recovery is in the fore front at this point.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
flowjo35 said:
ITA. :agree:

Red Dog said:
I suppose if I was a Kwan fan I would be hoping that, too.
You could have fooled me. I thought for sure you were a Kwaniac.:laugh:
But I do NOT count on an upset happening.
But you could hope that her injuries will prevent her from skating well. This is the Nats you've been waiting for.:rock:

Joe