JGPF Wrapup | Golden Skate

JGPF Wrapup

euterpe

Medalist
Kim's deduction wasn't for a fall.

What is interesting here is the non-domination by the Japanese ladies, even though they had the most entries. That's been the pattern three years in a row. The Japanese ladies have at least 3 entries every year, but only one stands on the podium. This is the third year in a row that Akiko Kitamura made the JGPF but finished in the lower half of the standings. OTOH, no US lady made it to the podium this year. Kimmie Meissner won bronze last year. Congratulations to Katy Taylor for the 4th place finish. She did the US proud.

This is also the second year in a row that no Russian team made it to the Ice Dance podium. Last year Matthews/Zavozin won for the US, with Virtue/Moir second and Cappellini/Zanni third. This year, Virtue/Moir won the gold, with Davis/White of the US 2nd (they missed the JGP last year due to his injury), and Cappellini won bronze with her new partner.

Just like last year, the US had the most Pairs teams in the Final, but a Russian team won the gold medal and the US had to settle for gold and silver. Miller/Brubaker finished 3rd for the second year in a row.

This was the first time in the last 3 years that no Russian man made it to the JGPF podium. Uspenski was 3rd last year, but slipped to 4th this time. The US has won the Men's JGPF the last two years, but this year a Japanese man won. The US had to settle for gold and silver, just as in Pairs. However, the silver medal winner, Austin Kanallakan was the LAST man to qualify for the Final, and he is only 14 years old.

gkelly

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Davis/White of the US 2nd (they missed the JGP last year due to his injury),

They competed on the JGP last season and won bronze at both their competitions, which put them as second alternates for the final. They wouldn't have gone to the final anyway because two teams didn't withdraw, but if they had been called as alternates they would have missed it because of his injury.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Not on the JGP. He couldn't do sectionals last year, so he didn't qualify for Nationals, so he doesn't have a current national ranking in singles, there are more eligible junior guys than dance teams, so no assignment this year.

He just won juniors at this year's Midwestern sectionals though, so we'll see how he does in St. Louis in two disciplines.

Thanks eurterpe for the report. This event will never be shown on American TV, so I appreciate your views.

The old axiom that Junior winners do not go on to become senior winners will make me think twice at the great improvement in USA Dance. But I can enjoy it now.

Good for Katy as a last minute alternate. Zukowski was a disappointment but we'll see her, I believe, in seniors this season

.Carriere was another disappointment. I think he too, will be in the senior Nats this season

What happens to USA Pairs? Not that silver and bronze is bad but the odds were in favor of the US for gold.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Euterpe for the summary!

I was about to go look up the final standings at ISU but you saved me a bunch of time!! Congratulations to all of the competitors.

DG