Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nashville Bidding for 2009 Worlds

Custom Title

News Nashville Bidding for 2009 Worlds

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../1166/COUNTY09

Read down for that news...

"In 1997, Sanders and Fauver brought the National Figure Skating competition to the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville. This month they have applied to host the 2009 World Event in Williamson County. It will be a feather in the community's cap if they are chosen to host the event, which will bring "huge" national visibility and will again focus the eyes of the figure skating world on this area."

And 2009 Worlds is the Worlds before the Olympics!!

Joe

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    GO Nashville, GO Nashville! That would be way cool (from a selfish perspective of course) for another pre-oly Nats in the midwest!!

DG

On the Ice
    Too good to be true! Franklin TN is a scant 15 minutes away from Chez Icenine!

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    OMG, that would be great! Nashville is closer to me than St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    GO Nashville, GO Nashville! That would be way cool (from a selfish perspective of course) for another pre-oly Nats in the midwest!!

DG
    Make that a pre-oly Worlds!!

Custom Title
    AAARGH! I would have to be moving to Denver from Chattanooga just when something like this might happen......... . Ah well....I'd be very proud if my home state could host the World Championships. Who would have ever put Tennessee and figure skating in the same sentence together (well, aside from the 97 Nationals)? Nashville is a great, warm city. I hope they get it!

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    Oh,gawd!If any skater does a program to "Achy-Breaky Heart",I'm gonna scream!

On the Ice
    Can I tell you in excruciating detail how much I hate country music? Set aside a week or two. You would be surprised how many Southerners feel the same way I do.

Quote Originally Posted by icenine
    Can I tell you in excruciating detail how much I hate country music? Set aside a week or two. You would be surprised how many Southerners feel the same way I do.
    I understand your feelings about country music. It gets a bad rap in mainstream American Pop music and it is often lampooned in comedy sketches.

Are you aware of the many many country tunes that get picked up by pop singers? Some even stand well on the original.

What I am afraid of is that figure skaters will go for the stereotypes of country people and do one their sophmoric routines in overalls for the men and checkered skirts for the ladies. This is bad enough but the skaters will sense that this is innovation, and the fans will giggle with delight and I will be with the remote looking for a football game.

Joe

Oh Great ! I could go to Worlds and all it would cost me is tickets, gas and food. I can get free room and board all the snacks I can sneek in. My sister lives outside Nashville and only short drive. That what I did when the hosted Nationals.
    When do they make the choice?

Not everyone in Nashville listen to country music.
    And they are use to being sterotyped as hillbilles.
    Nashville has a lot choice of nightlife and many within walking distance for the Arena. You also have a choice of shopping malls.
    In other words Nashville people are just regular down to earth people, yes you'll find the lowlifes but then arent all big citys that way.
    When I went to Pittsburg saw lot of homeless sleeping on the streets.

Well, sure, Pittsburgh.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    What I am afraid of is that figure skaters will go for the stereotypes of country people and do one their sophmoric routines in overalls for the men and checkered skirts for the ladies. This is bad enough but the skaters will sense that this is innovation, and the fans will giggle with delight and I will be with the remote looking for a football game.

Joe
    Are you talking about a program...such as....Tanith and Ben's Green Acres Schtick? (IMO, they should have given that one up long before they did)

I've been to music related events in Nashville that had NOTHING to do with country music. I've always found Nashville to be a great "host city." Hope everyone will keep an open mind, and that skaters of the caliber of Tanith and Ben will DROP "Green Acres" type schticks long before their planes land.

DG

Rinkside

Nashville for 2009 Worlds

Nashville is a great city (by the way, I'm not a native and am not a country music fan). Please don't assume, as I did before visiting, that Nashville is a one-theme town. It's clean, easy to navigate, and reasonably inexpensive to visit. There are plenty of hotels, arts centers, historical landmarks, shopping, and yes, The Country Music Hall of Fame, if you are so inclined. And did I mention restaurants and honky-tonks? The GEC (Gaylord Entertainment Center) is a terrific facility--spacious and relatively new. Plus, the location is easy to reach from many parts of the country--OK, the Eastern part anyway. For those of you who might be raising an eyebrow at the suggestion of Nashville, go visit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

(And this was not a paid promotion by the tourism council!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast