Nashville Bidding for 2009 Worlds | Golden Skate

Nashville Bidding for 2009 Worlds

PAskate

On the Ice
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051127/COUNTY090102/511270347/1166/COUNTY09

Read down for that news...

"In 1997, Sanders and Fauver brought the National Figure Skating competition to the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville. This month they have applied to host the 2009 World Event in Williamson County. It will be a feather in the community's cap if they are chosen to host the event, which will bring "huge" national visibility and will again focus the eyes of the figure skating world on this area."

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
GO Nashville, GO Nashville! That would be way cool (from a selfish perspective of course) for another pre-oly Nats in the midwest!!

DG

CDMM1991

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
GO Nashville, GO Nashville! That would be way cool (from a selfish perspective of course) for another pre-oly Nats in the midwest!!

DG

Make that a pre-oly Worlds!!:clap:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
AAARGH! I would have to be moving to Denver from Chattanooga just when something like this might happen.........:cry: . Ah well....I'd be very proud if my home state could host the World Championships. Who would have ever put Tennessee and figure skating in the same sentence together (well, aside from the 97 Nationals)? Nashville is a great, warm city. I hope they get it! :biggrin:

icenine

Rinkside
Can I tell you in excruciating detail how much I hate country music? Set aside a week or two. You would be surprised how many Southerners feel the same way I do.

icenine said:
Can I tell you in excruciating detail how much I hate country music? Set aside a week or two. You would be surprised how many Southerners feel the same way I do.
I understand your feelings about country music. It gets a bad rap in mainstream American Pop music and it is often lampooned in comedy sketches.

Are you aware of the many many country tunes that get picked up by pop singers? Some even stand well on the original.

What I am afraid of is that figure skaters will go for the stereotypes of country people and do one their sophmoric routines in overalls for the men and checkered skirts for the ladies. This is bad enough but the skaters will sense that this is innovation, and the fans will giggle with delight and I will be with the remote looking for a football game.

Joe

Jhar55

Medalist
Oh Great ! I could go to Worlds and all it would cost me is tickets, gas and food. I can get free room and board all the snacks I can sneek in. My sister lives outside Nashville and only short drive. That what I did when the hosted Nationals. :clap:
When do they make the choice? :thumbsup:

Jhar55

Medalist
Not everyone in Nashville listen to country music. :rock:
And they are use to being sterotyped as hillbilles.:laugh:
Nashville has a lot choice of nightlife and many within walking distance for the Arena. You also have a choice of shopping malls.:thumbsup:
In other words Nashville people are just regular down to earth people, yes you'll find the lowlifes but then arent all big citys that way.
When I went to Pittsburg saw lot of homeless sleeping on the streets.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What I am afraid of is that figure skaters will go for the stereotypes of country people and do one their sophmoric routines in overalls for the men and checkered skirts for the ladies. This is bad enough but the skaters will sense that this is innovation, and the fans will giggle with delight and I will be with the remote looking for a football game.

Joe

Are you talking about a program...such as....Tanith and Ben's Green Acres Schtick? :) (IMO, they should have given that one up long before they did)

I've been to music related events in Nashville that had NOTHING to do with country music. I've always found Nashville to be a great "host city." Hope everyone will keep an open mind, and that skaters of the caliber of Tanith and Ben will DROP "Green Acres" type schticks long before their planes land.

DG

diajo

Spectator
Nashville for 2009 Worlds

Nashville is a great city (by the way, I'm not a native and am not a country music fan). Please don't assume, as I did before visiting, that Nashville is a one-theme town. It's clean, easy to navigate, and reasonably inexpensive to visit. There are plenty of hotels, arts centers, historical landmarks, shopping, and yes, The Country Music Hall of Fame, if you are so inclined. And did I mention restaurants and honky-tonks? The GEC (Gaylord Entertainment Center) is a terrific facility--spacious and relatively new. Plus, the location is easy to reach from many parts of the country--OK, the Eastern part anyway. For those of you who might be raising an eyebrow at the suggestion of Nashville, go visit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

(And this was not a paid promotion by the tourism council!) :laugh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Diajo - welcome to Goldenskate!!

diajo said:
Nashville is a great city (by the way, I'm not a native and am not a country music fan). Please don't assume, as I did before visiting, that Nashville is a one-theme town. It's clean, easy to navigate, and reasonably inexpensive to visit. There are plenty of hotels, arts centers, historical landmarks, shopping, and yes, The Country Music Hall of Fame, if you are so inclined. And did I mention restaurants and honky-tonks? The GEC (Gaylord Entertainment Center) is a terrific facility--spacious and relatively new. Plus, the location is easy to reach from many parts of the country--OK, the Eastern part anyway. For those of you who might be raising an eyebrow at the suggestion of Nashville, go visit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

(And this was not a paid promotion by the tourism council!) :laugh:

No kidding, I was there the summer before last for a national music related event (that had nothing to do with country music) and it was an awesome venue. And then again last fall for a dog related event - awesome venue again.

It was VERY easy to enjoy some "country" even though I was there for something totally different. I will definately visit Nashville again, and certainly so if a big ice skating event takes place there. How fun!!!!

DG

diajo

Spectator
Nashville for 2009 Worlds

Doggygirl, I agree with you and Joesitz. I certainly hope they wouldn't be influenced by a stereotype of the site (i.e, overalls and bandana prints or worse yet, "Dukes of Hazzard on Ice"). I remember seeing Irina Slutskaya perform to a dance version of Cotton-Eyed Joe at this same venue a few years ago. The response from the crowd was tepid. I realize she didn't choose this number just because of the location of the show, but nonetheless, if anyone thought a Nashville audience would appreciate it more, they'd have been mistaken!

Gosh, the whole "Dukes of Hazzard on Ice" idea has given me the chills!

childfreegirl

Final Flight
As a country music fan, I feel I should point out that there are actually skateable country songs that are not "po dunctk". Just like other genres, there are some that are more skateable than others, with or without vocals and I'd love to see them skated to. Try listening to "If Heaven" by Andy Griggs (I think that's the artist) and "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts, to name just two. I think both of those songs have great insturmentals and could even be used for a competitive program.

Not all country music is like The Dukes of Hazard or Green Acres, and not all country music fans are hicks. Just something to think about maybe.