Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nashville Bidding for 2009 Worlds

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

Hi Diajo - welcome to Goldenskate!!

Quote Originally Posted by diajo
    Nashville is a great city (by the way, I'm not a native and am not a country music fan). Please don't assume, as I did before visiting, that Nashville is a one-theme town. It's clean, easy to navigate, and reasonably inexpensive to visit. There are plenty of hotels, arts centers, historical landmarks, shopping, and yes, The Country Music Hall of Fame, if you are so inclined. And did I mention restaurants and honky-tonks? The GEC (Gaylord Entertainment Center) is a terrific facility--spacious and relatively new. Plus, the location is easy to reach from many parts of the country--OK, the Eastern part anyway. For those of you who might be raising an eyebrow at the suggestion of Nashville, go visit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

(And this was not a paid promotion by the tourism council!)
    No kidding, I was there the summer before last for a national music related event (that had nothing to do with country music) and it was an awesome venue. And then again last fall for a dog related event - awesome venue again.

It was VERY easy to enjoy some "country" even though I was there for something totally different. I will definately visit Nashville again, and certainly so if a big ice skating event takes place there. How fun!!!!

DG

Rinkside

Nashville for 2009 Worlds

Doggygirl, I agree with you and Joesitz. I certainly hope they wouldn't be influenced by a stereotype of the site (i.e, overalls and bandana prints or worse yet, "Dukes of Hazzard on Ice"). I remember seeing Irina Slutskaya perform to a dance version of Cotton-Eyed Joe at this same venue a few years ago. The response from the crowd was tepid. I realize she didn't choose this number just because of the location of the show, but nonetheless, if anyone thought a Nashville audience would appreciate it more, they'd have been mistaken!

Gosh, the whole "Dukes of Hazzard on Ice" idea has given me the chills!

Quote Originally Posted by diajo
    Gosh, the whole "Dukes of Hazzard on Ice" idea has given me the chills!
    But think of the costume possibilities!

Daisy Dukes

Rinkside

Ugh!

I'm sorry the thought ever crossed my mind! But can I design for the guys?

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    As a country music fan, I feel I should point out that there are actually skateable country songs that are not "po dunctk". Just like other genres, there are some that are more skateable than others, with or without vocals and I'd love to see them skated to. Try listening to "If Heaven" by Andy Griggs (I think that's the artist) and "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts, to name just two. I think both of those songs have great insturmentals and could even be used for a competitive program.

Not all country music is like The Dukes of Hazard or Green Acres, and not all country music fans are hicks. Just something to think about maybe.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    I'd love to visit Nashville again. I'm rooting for them to get the comp so I have an excuse to go!

Rinkside

Nashville for 2009 Worlds

I agree with you--I'm sure there are songs in that genre that would be very skateable--and not "po dunctk"--I love that, by the way. I just don't care for the stereotypical portrayals--unrealistic and exaggerated. Just a pet peeve of mine.

On the Ice
    I love hearing so much praise for my town! More people would come, I'm sure, if they knew how much it has to offer. Such diverse choices for music lovers! All kinds of nifty historic sites and museums. And it is achingly beautiful in springtime. Nice to know not everyone has the preconception of Nashville being a backwater burg.
    That settles it. I'll start calculating how many sleeping bags I can get in my floor immediately. The walk in closet is reserved for my mother... sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2