Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Great Skating Moments

On the Ice
    Michelle's Aranquez-2003 Nats and Worlds--even had dick clapping in the booth.

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    Plushenko's 04 Worlds. Even with the fall he was miles above everyone else.

Custom Title
    To me the greatest skating moments have been as each of my biggest favourites (John Curry, Robin Cousins and Ilia Kulik) won their Olympic gold medal. The same applies to Torvill & Dean´s Bolero and G&G, especially in 1988..

Latest great skating moments have been Arakawa´s freeskate in 2004 Worlds and Cohen´s short programme in the same competition. Also watching Johnny Weir´s skating is always a great moment to me because of the beauty of it. I started to love men´s skating because of one person, John Curry, and Weir´s skating brings me the same kind of pleasure, it really touches my heart.
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-30-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Custom Woman
    MEN: The 100th Anniversary of Figure Skating event, 1996, St. Petersburg. The Russian Federation was also using it to decide which of their men would go to '96 Worlds. It was supposed to be a showdown between Ilia Kulik and Igor Pashkevich. Instead it turned into an "anything you can do I can do better" between Kulik and this young kid, Yagudin. For every 3/2 Yags did, Kulik did a 3/3. It was a magnificent and surprising competition in every sense of the word.

Have to add Kulik's perfect 3Axel with the peak of the parabola right over my on-ice seat in 1999. Afterwards, I almost thought I'd have to tell my boyfriend to call the paramedics.

PAIRS: 1991 Worlds, Mishketunok & Dmitriev's "Liebestraum" LP.

ICE DANCE: 2002 Olympics. Anissina & Peizerat's exhibition to "Time to Say Goodbye." Marina in her perfecto body and gold lame' unitard.

LADIES: Oksana Baiull's professional "Big 3," before everything went south about her skating. A couple of months after the Olympics, I saw her perform "The Swan" from an on-ice seat with what's now called COI at Madison Square Garden. Same place, following year, Baiul's "Meditation by Thais." Following year, the first figure skating program to Peter Gabriel's "The Feeling Begins" from Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ." For my money, Oksana's is still the best version.

Rgirl

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgirl
    MEN: The 100th Anniversary of Figure Skating event, 1996, St. Petersburg. The Russian Federation was also using it to decide which of their men would go to '96 Worlds. It was supposed to be a showdown between Ilia Kulik and Igor Pashkevich.
    Rgirl
    Yes, that was a veeery exciting competition for Ilia fans. As he was third at the Europeans and Pashkevich second, Ilia had to win over him to be able to go to 1996 Worlds. What medal Yagudin got or did not get, did not play any role at all in the exitement about who is going to the Worlds, Ilia or Igor.

Actually normally the skater that is better at Europeans, gets a place at Worlds. Urmanov had some eye problems and he did not participate at Europeans, but as an Olympic champion he had a sure place for the Worlds (they had only two places). The Russian Federation gave Ilia this chance before deciding about Worlds. I have understood that even Ilia´s coach Kudriatschev voted against him. Well, Pashkevich was coached by his wife, LOL.

Ilia´s freeskate in 1996 Centennial On Ice is one of the greatest moments. It is equal to his Olympic performance, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jaana; 11-30-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anya_angie
    Plushenko's 04 Worlds. Even with the fall he was miles above everyone else.
    As strange as it might seem, since he did have the slip; that performance was always one of my all time favorite Plushenko performances. Just

ALEXANDER ABT'S 2002 EUROS LP!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Torvil and Dean- 1984 Olympics, I was only in the womb but for me it is it is the standard of perfection.

Kristi Yamaguchi- 1991 Worlds- the first competition I remember watching from beginning to end.

Michelle Kwan- I agree there are many: 1996 Worlds. I didn't think anyone would be better than Lu Lu. 1998 Nationals I never thought I would see that many sixes. 2000 Worlds: many thought she would never win again. 2001 Nationals SP- The best revision of an old program. 2003 Worlds and Nationals I was crying with Dick Button. 2004 Nationals- She took a simple program and turned it into a masterpiece.

Alexei Yagudin 2002 Olympics- He had everything

Angela Nikodinov 2001 Nationals- I don't think there was a dry eye in the Fleet Center that night.

Custom Title
    I'll give my own personal recollections of events attended. My favorite event is ladies:

Janet Lynn's last Worlds LP, 1973 (La Valse) - as emotionally uplifting as it gets. Just saw on TV...saw the rest live.

Roz Sumners' 1982 Nationals LP (Thais & Rossini) - a shocker that came on the heels of a lethatgic showing by reigning champ Zayak. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

Liz Manley's 1988 Olympics LP - she outshined the "Carmens," IMO.

Midori Ito's 1989 Worlds LP - she hit the 3-axel and it was up-and-up from there. It wasn't a huge crowd at the Bercy Arena but those of us who were there were jumping & screaming for joy.

Tonya Harding's 1991 Nationals LP - gotta give her the credit for one of the all-time greatest skates, no matter what you think of her now. Tonya went from one spectacular move to another that day.

Oksana's 1993 Worlds Flamenco SP& Broadway Tunes LP, esp the SP....WOW! "Where did she come from?" we all asked. Oksana's 1994 Olympics LP was almost as fantastic.

Tara's 1997 Nationals LP - the tiny tike toppled the pre-ordained Kween & did so magnificently. Incredible! [That's why '98 Olympics was not such a shocker. So I give the nod to Tara's 1997 upset as her greatest moment.]

Michele's Aranjuez LP at the 2003 Worlds in DC - I think that all of us were up our of our seats, yelling, by the time that Michele's change-of-edge spiral rounded the corner!!!

Fumie Suguri's Mozart LP at the Dec 2003 G-P finals. Perfection. I was screaming my head off at the World Arena that night!!! This was the shocker outcome in an event that Sasha was supposed to have won easily.

Most of my memories of 'great moments' yielded unexpected results. When the underdog surfaces to the top, a great skate makes an even greater impact.

Custom Title
    As I have already written so many times:

Gritchuk/Platov's 1998 Olympics "Memorial" FD

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Too many to list here but here are a couple:

Meeting Karen Magnussen at Skate Canada.

Seeing Toller Cranston skate live.

http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute...mcat1?id=14242

Totmianina and Marinin 2005 Worlds LP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2